Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2006-07-15, 7:20am
Have Laptop Will Travel

Default Quick Disconnects And Concentrators

Hello all,
I have just purchased an Integra 10 Concentrator and I would like to know if its possiable to use quick disconnects with them. I'm not sure if the quick disconnects would cause any back pressure that would restrict O2 flow. I would like to install a two or three foot lengh of hose to the Integra with a disconnect on it. This way when I'm done for the day I can quickly unhook the Integra and move it out of the way. Any advice would be apprec. Thanks again. Bill
Old 2006-07-15, 8:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

A QD will probably work ok...If there is to much back pressure concentrator will alarm... But why not just get longer hose and place concentrator in its "own place" and not have to move it...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-07-15, 1:11pm
PyronamixK

I have them on mine and have no problems.
Old 2006-07-25, 3:26am

If you do get longer hoses, be sure they aren't too long...you will lose some pressure if you do that. I'd say 12' is good.

Old 2006-07-25, 8:45am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
A QD will probably work ok...If there is to much back pressure concentrator will alarm... But why not just get longer hose and place concentrator in its "own place" and not have to move it...

Dale
The nice thing about the Integra 10 is that there is no back pressure problem! I talked to the Sequal rep at the Gathering about it. If there is a block in the line (or if you turn off the valve at the torch), the oxygen goes back out out the purge and is exhausted out of the machine. No damage to the machine. Pretty smart feature. After speaking with the Sequal rep, I was very impressed with both the machine and the company that makes it.

Oh, and I have QCs on mine not so I can move the concentrator, but so I can swap out torches. It's just nice to have them on.
Old 2006-08-07, 2:39pm

Where do you guys buy your quick disconnects, and what requirements do you have for them, to decide if they'll work for you or not?

Old 2006-08-07, 4:57pm
PyronamixK

You can buy them at a local welding supply shop or through one of the major glass supply houses. They usually come in sets, one oxygen and one propane. They are pretty standard.
Old 2006-08-07, 7:19pm

I'll have to check it out, and ask about the ones without the spring loaded plunger inside it. Thanks!

Old 2006-08-07, 8:06pm
PyronamixK

As for the spring loaded thing - ALL of the Quick Disconnects for oxygen and propane have them (to the best of my knowledge).

Keep in mind that they do make Quick Disconnects with built-in Flashback Arrestors and that those cost quite a bit more and can cut down on your pressure a little bit. The regular Quick Disconnects usually have back-flow prevention, which is not the same as a Flashback Arrestor. I don't think they impact your pressure very much.
Old 2006-08-07, 8:34pm

I'll check around. I know I read somewhere (maybe WC?) about a quick disconnect without the piece inside, which would result in no pressure lost. If I find it and remember, I'll pass it on to you haha

Old 2006-08-07, 9:03pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L
I'll check around. I know I read somewhere (maybe WC?) about a quick disconnect without the piece inside, which would result in no pressure lost. If I find it and remember, I'll pass it on to you haha
Yeah, they have those: they're called A-B fittings.

It would be dangerous to remove the spring thing and then disconnect the fitting while it was under full pressure. The spring thing is there for a reason. It does not affect the pressure.
Old 2006-08-08, 5:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Yeah, they have those: they're called A-B fittings.

It would be dangerous to remove the spring thing and then disconnect the fitting while it was under full pressure. The spring thing is there for a reason. It does not affect the pressure.
A-B Fittings. Check. Thanks!

Old 2006-08-08, 7:33pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L
A-B Fittings. Check. Thanks!
That was a joke, Justin.
Old 2006-08-09, 6:01am

so thats why the guy looked at me like an idiot! I know I saw a post somewhere with quick disconnects with no plungers or anything in the middle...

Old 2006-08-10, 7:59am

upon some further snooping around, I think I just misread the post i was referring to on WC. I asked the gentleman and he set me straight!