Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-09-11, 12:32pm

Cool Newby with Nortel Midrange Plus Minor Top Surface Mix

I am soooooooo new at lampworking, have used the trusty Hothead, fell in love with melting glass, built a studio....and don't know squat about my new torch. OK, now that you've all stopped roaring with laughter....can you tell me the most helpful DVD to get to help me....or ANY words of wisdom. I'm really good at BOILING my glass, getting some lovely burnt/ sooty beads...but, hey...I'm keeping the glass ON the mandrel! And what I lack in knowledge I make up for in enthusiasm. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom ....
Old 2008-09-22, 11:30pm

Well, found page 24 in Passing the Flame, by Corina Tettinger...so, have the proper flame figured out...guess I'll just pick out a basic instructional DVD at random....
Old 2008-09-24, 12:14pm
Bliss Junkie

just turn down your flame... alot...

a small flame puts out soo much more heat than the hothead... i found myself just working bigger and bigger... till i outgrew the midrange plus in no time... but it does sound like your sticking to soft glass for the moment, so the best advice is to turn down the flame...

you can also check out smartflix.com they have a good selection of dvds to rent...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-09-25, 12:59am

Thanks for the reply!! I am sticking with soft glass. Have turned down the flame. And will check out smartflix.com...have also been having a blast with the Practice, Practice, Practice...if the days were only longer....
Old 2008-10-01, 4:29pm

Zanotti, also pay attention to where you are in the flame. You do not have to keep the bead or your rod in the hottest part of the flame to work it. Some of the colors that boil more easily (transparent aqua!) need to be worked high up in the flame, where it is cooler.
Old 2008-11-25, 1:13am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

make sure you are just using the top torch - the minor....you so don't need the midrange unless working larger stuff.

Don't work right at the torch tip. Pretty much everyone I have ever taught wants to put the glass half an inch from the torch tip.....don't do that! keep you glass further from the torch tip and turn the torch down.