AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-03-27, 6:54pm

Default oxycon hose

Is 4ft too long for my line from my oxycon to the torch? I was told that I would loose too much pressure going that long. Thanks for the help I always get here.
Old 2009-03-27, 7:10pm
Ready to hit the road

Gosh, mine runs from the basement then 8ft under my studio and up to my torch. Has to be at least 15'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-27, 7:51pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffydog View Post
Is 4ft too long for my line from my oxycon to the torch? I was told that I would loose too much pressure going that long. Thanks for the help I always get here.
No.... You can have (within reason) any length you want... 6, 10, 10, 12 feet is not unreasonable and long as its at least 1/4 inside diameter, 3/8 ID would be better but connecting it may become a problem...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-03-28, 12:33pm
PyronamixK

The shorter you can have your hose, the better: 4' is plenty short.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:05pm
Happy Inner Dragon

My hose is 6metres long - half of a pair - I needed the longer bit for the gas bottle to be outside.
I fired my brand new 8LPM oxycon up for the first time today (let alone the torch!), which was working fine, set at 5LPM until I hooked up the hose. Ball dropped down to zero. I have the oxy half of the 6m hose coiled without kinks, so I don't think it's a blockage problem.
I've got a 10mm brass fitting for the 6mm(ID) hose, screwed into the plastic thread directly at the machine.

It's been a week of setbacks with this outfit, and this is the icing on the cake. Wah! Is 6metres too long for it to push the oxy to the torch? Some oxy is going through the torch, BTW.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-21, 1:23am
Alaska Boro

Sounds like you have a handle on the oxygen issue. If the ball is at zero there is no flow as you have indicated. Either a broken machine or blocked flow.

Do things in reverse and see at what point the oxygen is restored.

1) Is there flow with the brass fitting removed from the machine?

2) Is there flow with the fitting screwed into the machine?

3) Can you blow into the oxygen hose and get air out of the other end?

If all of these 1-2-3 are yes, then connect up the hose to the machine and keep the hose removed from the torch.

4) Is there oxygen now with the hose connected to the machine but removed from the torch?

5) Connect to torch and turn on the oxygen valve all the way.

6) Is there flow?

If not, then there is perhaps a torch valve issue. Or as a long shot the torch requires a higher pressure to operate. Not known as the torch type is not stated.

As stated above, a hose with a .250 inch ID should not have issues even at 20 or so feet.

Please report back your findings.
Old 2012-06-21, 1:52am
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Sounds like you have a handle on the oxygen issue. If the ball is at zero there is no flow as you have indicated. Either a broken machine or blocked flow.

Do things in reverse and see at what point the oxygen is restored.

1) Is there flow with the brass fitting removed from the machine?

2) Is there flow with the fitting screwed into the machine?

3) Can you blow into the oxygen hose and get air out of the other end?

If all of these 1-2-3 are yes, then connect up the hose to the machine and keep the hose removed from the torch.

4) Is there oxygen now with the hose connected to the machine but removed from the torch?

5) Connect to torch and turn on the oxygen valve all the way.

6) Is there flow?

If not, then there is perhaps a torch valve issue. Or as a long shot the torch requires a higher pressure to operate. Not known as the torch type is not stated.

As stated above, a hose with a .250 inch ID should not have issues even at 20 or so feet.

Please report back your findings.
Thank you very much for that. And apologies for not getting back sooner, like an hour ago - dinner, etc. Sorry about that. I do appreciate your help

I did end up doing those things, and went the extra mile and cut the hose anyway .
Turns out it was the torch all along. I bought it secondhand, and I understand it wasn't used for a long time before I got it. When I tested it, after finding the problem, I found I could get more of a flame from a ciggy lighter. Was very clear after that. I put a tip cleaner through it, and sans air compressor, used a bike pump to push air through the hose (no mean feat, but knees come in very, very handy), and after a pop and a puff of something rushing out of the front of the torch (MiniCC), it was much better. So I poked the tip cleaner in all the holes again, and pumped some more.

I tried to get it going again, and it was perfect.

This is all very new to me, but I'll get there.
Thanks again, and have a great night.

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-21, 6:54am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Sounds like the previous owner got glass into the tubes. It also sounds like you are on the way to fixing it.
Old 2012-06-21, 1:38pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yes, whatever it was, it must have been a doozy! Yet the tip cleaners didn't come up against any opposition - was a bit weird. I just hope I got all of whatever it was, out.
I am kicking myself that I hadn't thought to clean the torch before even hooking him up, though. Oh well. Live and learn

I won't tell you how long it took me to get the steps right installing the regulator to the bottle though...

SRA# P107