Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-08-10, 10:21am
Detail G-Mama!

Default OMG! What is wrong with my Mini CC all of a sudden!

Ok, everything was fine this morning, made a bead, turn off the torch to get some rods ready to make stringer. I turn it back on and the flame starts acting really weird, like the candles were really pointed and then they start getting lower. I thought oh, the quick connect came loose, nope! It's a new tank and I went to check the settings, everything right where it should be. Go back check the oxycon connection, it's fine. I turn it back on and now I can even slowly turn in the oxy before it starts making it look like there is a dancing flame right above the torch, there is an invisivle area between the torch and the flame! I cleaned out the ports also. It's never done this before and as slow as I can go with the oxy and it just won't dial in the neutral flame! I even went back to the propane exchange and exchanged the tank out, thinking maybe it was the tank because the dial was a little odd on the tank. I don't know what to do, I can't afford a new torch, can't afford to be without a torch!! Aarrggh!! Please tell me I can fix this!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-10, 10:54am
Burnt Wood Beads

Did you just change the tank? I have a mini cc too Anne and I've never had it do what you described, but it sounds to me like the gas isn't "right"???

Old 2011-08-10, 11:25am
Detail G-Mama!

Yes, twice!! Here are a couple of pics of what it is doing. I have just started turning in the oxy in the first pic and then just a little more oxy in 2nd. It's like the oxy dosen't want to play with the propane!! So frustrating!!
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-10, 11:30am
Still Missing You

Had the same thing going on with my torch not so long ago Anne. When I replaced the oxycon, the issue was resolved. Strange that the settings were the same on the oxycon as always and there was no warning beeps or sounds going off on the oxycon to indicate there was a problem...just the flame dancing above the torch with a blank space between the flame and the torch head.

So, it may be that your oxycon isn't screaming at you, but it may not be truly putting out enough oxy to keep the torch happy.

Hope it isn't the oxycon but something really, really, simple.

Oh, if I kept turning the torch on and off, eventually I could find a flame I could work in. Start low on the oxy and turn it up slowly. You may have it blow itself out a time or two, but keep trying. That may get you by long enough to have everything tested.

Good luck kiddo!

Eventually the oxycon died and that is how I discovered the real problem.
Old 2011-08-10, 11:35am
Burnt Wood Beads

I would agree that it's not getting enuf oxy. That's what my torch looks like always when i first start out...before the oxy has had some time to build up.

Do you have some tanked oxy you can try to see if it fixes it? Or someone else's oxycon nearby that you can borrow?

It would be nice to verify that was the problem before spending the money on a new oxycon...

Julie

Old 2011-08-10, 11:41am
Still Missing You

If you do not have anyone in the area and need an oxycon to test it with, call me and I'll run mine up your way. If it turns out to be the oxycon, you are welcome to borrow mine while my studio is still being revamped.

Old 2011-08-10, 11:58am
Detail G-Mama!

Well I took the filter off and cleaned it, it wasn't that dirty but it's drying right now, should be dry soon since I put it out in this freaking hot sun!! LOL! Julie mine does that too if I'm impatitent to wait for the oxy but I had already made a bead and was fixing to pull stringer when it started so I know the there was enough oxy at one point!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:01pm

It's definitely air in the oxy pipes. Check for leaks too if it's not the oxycon.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-08-10, 12:02pm
PyronamixK

It looks like your oxycon is blowing air.
Old 2011-08-10, 12:08pm
Detail G-Mama!

Linda was the oxy still coming out the torch? Everything is working like is should except I can't get the two to connect at the torch!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:10pm
Detail G-Mama!

How do you know if it's air or oxy blowing?

Old 2011-08-10, 12:21pm
Still Missing You

I thought it was oxygen coming out, but it turned out to be just air. I could be working in the flame and all of the sudden it would blow space like your picture shows. Would have to shut down and play with the oxy and fuel to balance it enough to get a flame. You will "feel" something coming out of the oxygen side, but it may not truly be oxygen..just air.

Just so you know, if you clean the filter, it may work out a few times and then it may start skipping space again at the torch head. Work some more then blow just air again.
Old 2011-08-10, 12:22pm
Still Missing You

If it is just air - it won't mix with the torch. It will do just what your picture is showing. At least that was my experience. I hope those who know more than I keep piping in on this, I am limited in my knowledge as to the "whys".
Old 2011-08-10, 12:27pm
Detail G-Mama!

Craaapppp!!! I don't have the money for a new oxycon, don't have the money to buy a oxy regulator to get tanked oxy, I'm screwed!!!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:36pm
Still Missing You

No you aren't. If you want to go back to tanked oxy, I have a regulator you may use long-term (as in forever). Call me with an address.

If you want to stay on oxycons, I have two piggybacked ones that you may use for now. Let's hook mine up and we'll see if that is really the problem. All you have to do right now is decide if you want me on your doorstep tonight or tomorrow. If tonight, it will be late as I will not be able to leave Houston until after 6 this evening.

You had to know moving to Kileen wasn't going to keep you safe from your favorite stalker forever.

Old 2011-08-10, 12:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalilly View Post
No you aren't. If you want to go back to tanked oxy, I have a regulator you may use long-term (as in forever). Call me with an address.

If you want to stay on oxycons, I have two piggybacked ones that you may use for now. Let's hook mine up and we'll see if that is really the problem. All you have to do right now is decide if you want me on your doorstep tonight or tomorrow. If tonight, it will be late as I will not be able to leave Houston until after 6 this evening.

You had to know moving to Kileen wasn't going to keep you safe from your favorite stalker forever.

Wow!!! I am sure she is happy to have you as a stalker! What a wonderful thing to do!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:45pm
Duchess of Dichro

Linda you are such a doll!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:48pm
Detail G-Mama!

OMG Linda, you are too much! I would never want to lose my favorite stalker! let me try it one more time and then if it doesn't work, I will let you know!

Old 2011-08-10, 12:51pm
Catchen' the Sun

could be that the air/oxygen line has blown loose in side the oxycon. open it up and look.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2011-08-10, 12:55pm
Detail G-Mama!

I will check that out also.

Old 2011-08-10, 1:24pm
Detail G-Mama!

Ok, now we think it might be the oxy knob itself. It's very loose so David took it off and cleaned it out and put it back on and I can push on it and make the oxy do different sounds so that might be where it's not connecting or inside the mechinism. *sigh* Linda are you using your mini cc?? *batting eyes* Just to see if that could be the problem!! David feels pretty sure that is the problem!

Old 2011-08-10, 1:30pm
Still Missing You

Using my Piranha. Loaned out the mini cc. It is far, far away from here. Want to try the Piranha (since I am really not "using" anything until the studio is completed)?

What brand of oxycon do you have? I have a dead one here that perhaps we could salvage parts off of to make yours work?

Last edited by dalilly; 2011-08-10 at 1:32pm.
Old 2011-08-10, 1:39pm

Anne, have you cleaned the port holes on the torch lately. Mine did that once , and I clean the opening and it stopped. I too thought it was the oxycon. It was my torch needing to be cleaned.
Old 2011-08-10, 1:59pm
Detail G-Mama!

Ohh I'm only on a 5lpm oxy so the piranah woudn't work but thanks' anyway! Yes, I cleaned the ports. I just got off the phone with Mike from Carlisle and he's gonna send me a new knob to see if that's the problem. Hoping that's it!!!!

Old 2011-08-10, 2:44pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalilly View Post

That is so sweet!! Anne, you are SO lucky!
Old 2011-08-10, 2:52pm
Detail G-Mama!

She wouldn't take no for an answer! I'm so excited, not sure if I'm more excited bout the stuff she is bringing or finally getting to meet her after all these years!!! Now I'll finally get to put a face to the voice!! Wheeeee!!!!

Old 2011-08-10, 3:02pm
Resident hippie

Linda you are a sweetheart. Anne you deserve such a good friend and now she'll be a real one instead of a virtual one.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-08-10, 4:49pm
MacGalver

Linda is a doll!

Jo

Old 2011-08-10, 5:41pm
Still Missing You

Before you all go and ruin my reputation, Anne is the reason I stayed with the torch. When I started it was so overwhelming (ask our own Shawn who spent over an hour on the phone listening to my little girl screams as she walked me through setting up the oxygen and lighting the piranha torch for the first time).

Anne had the patience of Job and spent unknown hours with me on the telephone explaining how to do things when I was too ill to travel to her place for lessons. Thanks to Anne my grandchildren have received wonderful pieces (as they see it) of glass from their Granny. Not to mention, due to Anne's open sharing and kind heart, I have been able to spend precious time with the grandchildren while we shared in the fun of playing with fire and glass.

So, dropping a few not-used-at-this-time items at Anne's to try to help her figure out what is wrong with her torch is nothing compared to what she has given me time and time again. I absolutely love the whole LE family and so hope I can give back to each and every one of you who have brought fun back into my life.

Hope you are enjoying your last night off work Anne. Tomorrow we SHALL figure out what is wrong and your butt IS going back to work at the torch.

Cya tomorrow!
Old 2011-08-10, 5:48pm
Detail G-Mama!

Awww Linda, your gonna make me cry!! I have always enjoyed our chats and I'm so glad I could help you when you needed it!! Can't wait to see ya!!! Muahhh!