Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-01-02, 7:27am

Default If you torch outside.................

what torch do you use? If you have a surface mix, what is your set-up?

I have had a bobcat and regulators for a year, but have not set it up. I torch on my back porch outside and have wanted to wait til i can set it up permanently in and enclosed space. Of course, i am getting impatient to be able to use it and do not see having an inside space anytime soon.

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-03, 6:13pm

As long as its not too windy you'll be fine. You will want the wind coming from behind you. It will help with ventilation, but I would still recommend a fan. I torch outside and use a window fan for ventilation.

Old 2012-01-04, 7:06pm

But do you keep your torch set up permanently? Or do you put it up and take it down every session?

I have been torching outside with my hothead for over three years, but I feel like it is easier to set up and take down.

SRA #C88

Old 2012-01-04, 7:33pm

Year round. It is under a porch. I'm lucky that the rain doesn't hit my table.

I just got a kiln, so I don't know if that will be kept outside all year.

Old 2012-01-04, 7:57pm

I have a bluebird kiln and it sits on a rolling cart from harbour freight. i showed a pic in this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=163169

SRA #C88

Old 2012-01-26, 7:35am

I torched outside for a year with a kiln and torch mounted the whole time. I'm in AZ, so rain didn't happen often but when it does, it POURS. I had a bench built and then my hubby and I built a kind of cupboard around it so that when I opened it the doors were wind screens. Worked ok.
Old 2012-01-26, 9:30am
uncouthful cats

I have my "studio" in the carport so, even though it's under a roof & semi-protected on the sides, it is still completely influenced by the weather. Windy = no chance of turning on the torch. I set it up with the idea that I would be able to break it down relatively easy & stash it away at need. I have quick connects on the torch (a Cricket) so I can remove it or switch torches easily. How many times has it been put away in the 2 1/2 years since I set it up? Exactly 0. Now my table is so cluttered it would be a huge PITA to attempt taking it down, although it could be done.

My stuff rarely gets wet, although there was one memorable occasion when the table had hail scattered on it. That was a windy stormy day! I've even torched in the rain a few times when the air was dead still & it wasn't too cold.

The things that are negatively influenced by living outside are the brass tools & the non-stainless steel ones. Even though they're kept in cabinet drawers, they start to rust. I suppose I should wrap them in cloths, or just bring them inside.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-02-23, 10:26pm
Millionaire in Training

I first had a Hothead and set it up on a rolling desk. If it rained, which it rarely does in Arizona, I'd run outside and bring the whole thing in. I also brought the desk in if I was going to be gone for several days, as my gate had no lock on it and anyone could get inside my yard if they wanted to.

Wind was definitely a factor. I never thought of it as getting windy in Arizona since I grew up on the coast in Santa Monica where there is much more wind, but it does get windy if you're outside. The wind can even affect my torching when I'm inside. I'm now set up inside with a minor. I open a window with a huge box fan and that's my ventilation, besides three other windows and doors opened with fans in them as well.

If you're okay with bringing your stuff in and out, that's great. Your cart looks so neat and organized! My desk only looks like that when I take all the glass off of it after it gets ridiculously full of stuff. I even have several of those rectangular fencing post dealies to store glass in, and I still have glass everywhere. I really need about 3 times the amount of fencing material than I currently have. I have a few boxes with Bullseye and other glass that can't be mixed sitting around as well...

If you're near the coast or places where humidity is high, this can rust your tools. Things take a long time to rust in Arizona. It's just not that humid here.

Old 2012-02-23, 11:51pm
I like to melt things

I used to torch outside, with my minor, concentrator and a Paragon SC2. I'd bring the kiln and concentrator into the house after every session and just leave the torch set up. I worked under a deck, which protected my setup from the worst of the elements.

Here's a pick of what it looked like.

-
-
Old 2012-02-24, 2:12pm

Nice setup, Melanie. I really like the look of that Paragon kiln.
Old 2012-03-01, 9:19pm

i torch outside with a lynx 2 smith regs and a smith little torch. random tools and L and L kiln