Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-09-08, 7:28am
Marble Lover

Default Hooking up the torch Qs

I'm almost to the point where I can melt something - finally!

I'm attaching a pic of the torch I'm borrowing. It's a Carlisle Wildcat.

First q - ( self-answered ) - I just read the PDF from the Carlisle site, so that answered my first Q of which color does the O2 hook up to. If you guessed Green, you're right! Grab a cookie, but hurry up, I have a couple more Qs.

*waits for Cookie Time(tm) to be over*

Second Q - The green O2-side hose screws right onto the OxyCon. I'm about to go get some propane, but I think the propane tanks at the store have a much larger fitting than what is on the end of the red hose. Do I buy a piece that converts the hose connector to fit the propane tank or do I get different tank than you would normally get for running your gas grill?

Third Q - I have 2 flashback arrestors and 2 regulators since I had planned on using tanked for both. If I'm using an OxyCon, do I still use either the regulator or the flashback arrestor on the O2 line?

Thanks, folks. I'm... so... close... I... can... feel... it... ( done in my best Captain Kirk impression ).

I have some Q2 about a holding tank, but I'll read as much as I can find on here, first.

Off to the safety forums to read some more.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-08, 7:32am
Now part of the Dark Side

The red hose, fuel, connects to your fuel regulator, should be a left hand thread brass fitting. The regulator then connects to your BBQ tank. The oxy you can connect directly to the oxy con, you may need an adapter. Check all of your fuel and oxy connections with a soap solution, bubbles indicate a leak.
Old 2012-09-08, 7:33am
Nikki Haverstock

The flashback arrester for the propane will go between the regulator and torch propane hose.

So Torch hose to flashback arrester To regulator to propane tank.

The oxygen hose connects directly to the oxy con.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-08, 7:47am
Marble Lover

Thanks. I haven't looked at the regulators since I bought them back in April - I feel so silly. I swear I can feel Mel Blanc behind me, with a carrot in his hand, saying "What a maroooooon."

And thanks for the soap tip.

-BEP
Old 2012-09-08, 7:58am
Marble Lover

I realized I have everything I need to get started. And it's abnormally cool out with NO wind.

I'm heading out to get the propane and pick up my nephew. I still have a questions -

When I turn the OxyCon on, do I hook it up to the torch and close the valve on my torch to let it build up pressure before starting?

Or, does the OxyCon put out the same flow regardless based on the adjuster on the side?

Will the compressor(s) in the OxyCon turn off if they need to or do I need to make sure too much pressure doesn't build up somehow?

Thanks, as always.
-BEP
Old 2012-09-08, 8:01am
Nikki Haverstock

I usually open the Oxygen valve on the Torch and let the oxy con run for several minutes. The oxy con will beep for a while to indicate that the oxygen isnt pure. If the valve is closed then atleast one of my oxy cons will freak out and beep because it thinks someone isn't getting the oxygen and dying.

Old 2012-09-08, 8:05am
Now part of the Dark Side

You have just expended my oxy con knowledge, I'd trust Lady Pol since I use tanked oxy.
Old 2012-09-08, 8:09am
Nikki Haverstock

Haha, thanks Roy.

One more thing about the oxy con. Right before you light the torch you will need to close the oxygen valve. Then follow the standard light procedure. Same for turning it off.

Old 2012-09-08, 8:16am
Loving learning

What Nikki said. I turn the oxy on early, and only turn it off (at the torch, not the concentrator) while lighting my torch, then back the valve is turned to open again & it stays that way unless I have to relight.

When I'm closing down for the day, I turn the propane off at the tank & let it burn itself out with the oxy running. Then I continue to let the oxy run for a few minutes by itself to cool the torch head a bit quicker so I can clean it (and I admit I don't clean it every time, but try to remember every few times at least).
Old 2012-09-08, 9:55am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'll try to lay it out for you.

Fuel side.
Propane tank connected to the regulator (usually an acetylene welding reg.)
Regulator connected to the flashback then red hose; notice the small crease in the connector and LEFT HAND THREADS.
Red hose connected to torch. Valve off unless in use.

Oxy side.
Oxycon connected to green hose. Flashback optional; may cause restriction of pressure in some systems
Green hose connected to torch. May insert holding tank if desired. Valves left open whenever oxycon is running. Adjust flow at torch valves but do not close off completely.

That's the basic setup. Proceedure for lighting torch. POOP. On and Off - Propane, Oxygen, Oxygen, Propane.
Propane first; open valve on tank and set pressure. You may have to readjust after you get torch lite depending on regulator charactoristics. Crack open torch valve and light the propane. you will get an orange sooty flame. Feed in Oxy with torch valve until you have nice blue candles with small white or yellow tips. As you progress you will learn to vary these adjustments to suit the glass or technique. The last OP part is just reverse of the first except that with an oxycon you just shut off the propane and leave the oxy run. With a tanked system you would shut off the oxy first then the propane.

PJ

ETA - when you first light the propane the flame may be out from the face of the torch or blow out completely. That indicates that there is too much flow. Close off on the propane torch valve until the flame comes back to the torch face and it should be about 6" long +-. then feed in your oxy and adjust until you get the desired flame size.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-09-08 at 10:00am.
Old 2012-09-08, 1:44pm
Alaska Boro

Running the concentrator for about 10 minutes prior to use is a good standard procedure. That way the oxygen is in the range of its maximum purity. Also keep the LPM setting below maximum as at maximum there is less purity. Perhaps 1 to 1-1/2 LPM below.

While warming up the concentrators open the oxygen side torch valve as concentrators do not like a blocked flow.

Check your fuel hose and make sure that it is propane rated. It should be marked "T" grade. The standard welding hose sold at Lowes and Home Depot is NOT "T" rated.