Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-09-08, 9:10am

Default MY TORCH IS TOO BIG!!!! (Questions about Midrange)

Awww poo.

So, here's the thing. I took classes on the Mega Minor and I've watched a varying selection of videos using similarly sized torches, but my starting torch is the much larger Nortel Midrange. It is a great torch, and my inner pyromaniac is loving his new toy, but it seems to make a flame that is way too big and hot - I'm not one hundred percent sure of how to use it...

Right now, I just want to make some beads, but I can't get the hang of where I need to put the glass, and I keep getting the mandrel waaay too hot without melting my glass all the way around, or I melt it too much. I realize I should have stuck with the Mega Minor instead of getting overexcited about torch size, but now I'm locked in. Who has some helpful hints?!

I appreciate the help!

Last edited by s13; 2012-09-08 at 9:23am.
Old 2012-09-08, 9:15am
formerly Marella

I have a midrange with a minor on top.
The midrange gives a big bushy flame that is great for melting boro in a hurry and for keeping larger beads "all over" warm.

I switch back and forth between the two as I work.
Is this your first torch???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2012-09-08, 9:27am

First, a second oops moment. My mother has an account on here and I thought I was logged in, but it was actually her.

I know that I can purchase the part to put the minor burner on top, I was just curious if I could simply adjust my own behavior and methods to still use the midrange and make smaller things without spending more money. I figure I will buy the extra burner anyway, but I want to work in the mean time!

As nuts as it sounds, this is my first torch...

The Big Purple Barn is a big, beautiful dream.
Old 2012-09-08, 9:33am
Curmudgeon Engineering

You can never have too big of a torch..... just saying!

Perhaps you need to spend some time just playing around with the torch adjustments. No glass, just play around with different flame settings. I think you'll discover that you can adjust the flame down to a useable size. Learn your torch and its idiosyncrocies.
Old 2012-09-08, 9:38am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpurpleb View Post
First, a second oops moment. My mother has an account on here and I thought I was logged in, but it was actually her.
Good I thought we had 2 of you for a bit (cowboy's)
Old 2012-09-08, 10:01am
Salt Box Beads

I had a hard time when I switched from the HH to a Mega. I promptly melted through 3 mandrels!!!!

What I learned was to just work under the flame unless I wanted to actually move the glass around all drippy and fast, then it went into the flame.

So just work under the flame for awhile dipping quickly in and out of the flame for actually melting glass. Under the flame will keep it hot enough to work it, move it around and shape it.
Old 2012-09-09, 3:41am

just turn your flame way down. i can dial my midrange down to a flame the size of a pencil if i need to.
you should be able to adjust so your candles are only 1/4" or so and add oxy accordingly. so long as your oxy isn't too low you run no risk of scorching/burning your torch face.
Old 2012-09-09, 4:05am
Now part of the Dark Side

To big of a torch is only a temporary problem. Within a year it will reverse to my torch is too small. Like istandalone said you should be able to dial in a smaller flame. Don't forget that you can work further back and at the edge of the flame too.
Old 2012-09-09, 10:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
just turn your flame way down. i can dial my midrange down to a flame the size of a pencil if i need to.
you should be able to adjust so your candles are only 1/4" or so and add oxy accordingly. so long as your oxy isn't too low you run no risk of scorching/burning your torch face.
I guess what bothers me is the whooshing. It's loud!! Is that normal?

The Big Purple Barn is a big, beautiful dream.
Old 2012-09-09, 12:02pm
Now part of the Dark Side

If it is wooshing try turning back the oxy a bit, Nortels are a fairly quiet torch.
Old 2012-09-10, 7:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpurpleb View Post
I guess what bothers me is the whooshing. It's loud!! Is that normal?
depends on the mix. When its oxidizing it will hiss some. Spend some time experimenting with valve settings and learn what the torch can do.
Old 2012-09-10, 8:43am
burnin' glass just becuz

easiest transition might be to send the torch in and have a mega minor installed on top. As a newb, it takes a while to get used to all the heat and power of a midrange - i tried one and decided it was way too much heat for me (i only use soft glass, no boro) plus i preferred using concentrators vs. tanks. The mega won't be a waste of $$ cuz as you get comfy with the top torch then you can switch back and forth between the two as your skills progress. Plus the mega will consume less propane and oxy since it's smaller- it's an awesome torch for soft glass esp. sculpting, i just switched to a Lucio after using a Mega for the past four or so years.

I'm not a fan of all that heat either especially all the time - another quick fix might be to get a heat shield made to make torching more tolerable.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-09-10, 9:37am
I'm a lilac!

Every time I see this thread all I can think if is "I'm a banana!"

I agree about getting a top-mounted Minor for your torch, but in the meantime, try turning your fuel and oxy pressures way down and working with a small, soft flame. It's totally doable, I worked with a Midrange for years.