Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-11-09, 3:34pm

Default looking to upgrade/ gtt sidewinder

Hi I'm looking to upgrade from a nortel minor and the torch has to run off oxy cons so right now I'm looking at the scorpion Sidewinder and bravo I have found a fairly substantial amount of info on all the torches other than the Sidewinder I'm specifically interested in seeing a video of it in action which I have yet to find. So if anybody has info on how these torches compare to each other or a minor (mostly the Sidewinder but everything is appreciated) I'd love to hear it.
-Zach
Old 2012-11-17, 3:38pm
sorcerer

Here you go, I'm demoing on a sidewinder, they have about as much heat as a Phantom but not so much flame adjustment, you can't get that tiny pin point flame, otherwise it's a great torch
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-04, 2:00pm
PyronamixK

I have videos of the Scorpion on my YouTube channel (PyronamixK). The link is in my signature.
Old 2012-12-04, 5:02pm
Marble Lover

What did you end up buying?

-BEP
Old 2012-12-04, 8:51pm

I'm getting a bravo for christmas thanks for all the input sorry it took so long for me to get back.
Old 2012-12-04, 9:59pm
Marble Lover

Thanks for checking back in, ZMan. Do you mind sharing what your decision making process was? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy this Wildcat I'm borrowing or get something else. The Sidewinder is a top contender for me so I'm interested in hearing why you decided against that and the Scorpion.

I just read some on the Bravo and it has piqued my interest. Any info on how you made your decision is appreciated.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-05, 4:02am
Now part of the Dark Side

Zman, you will not be disappointed. Are you getting a foot pedal to go with it?
Old 2012-12-05, 3:44pm

I'm going to be running off concentrators so the foot pedal would be a bit of a splurge seeing as it wouldn't save me any oxygen, so for the time being no foot pedal. As far as my decision making process goes I decided that unless I was going to get triple mix the gtts were to expensive and I could see no apparent advantage of a gtt other than the triple mix that would justify my spending more on it. The bravo cost the same as a scorpion and seems to be more torch for the money to me the bravo looks like the equal of the Sidewinder for less money, with a more durable body and no waiting list it just makes sense to me. Another factor in this decision is that from what I have read I would only need three 10 lpm concentrators to run the bravo close if not to its full potential and would be able to have it function decently on two whereas the Sidewinder would need four to reach its full potential and three to run decently so it would seem that the bravo makes better use of the available oxygen. And I didn't go with the scorpion simply because I felt I would be quickly dissapointed with the size of work I could produce on it. That's my 2 cents but seeing as i haven't used any of the three torches and I'm working solely off the opinions reviews and videos of others my conclusion could very well be off point.
Thanks, Zach
Old 2012-12-05, 5:10pm
Alaska Boro

The Scorpion is 11 LPM oxygen with the Brovo at 31 LPM.
Old 2012-12-05, 6:14pm

I was comparing the oxygen consumption of the bravo and the Sidewinder since I believe there flame sizes to be more similar. But in response to your statement the reviews I have read about the scorpion say that the scorpion is under powered with anything less than two 10 lpm concentrators despite gtts website saying 11 lpm was sufficient
Old 2012-12-05, 6:38pm
Marble Lover

Thanks for letting me in on your research information, Zach.

-BEP