Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-07-02, 2:43pm

Default Lynx- Onyx or Intergra 10?

I'm seriously considering buying a Lynx torch. Anyone know which is better to use with it...an Onyx or Integra 10? I guess the Onyx puts out more pressure and is considered a generator while the Integra 10 produces more oxygen but not as much pressure. They're both the same price. Anyone have an idea or use either of these with their Lynx?

Thanks,

Tracy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-02, 4:59pm
What, Me Worry?

Default Check it out

Check out this site that sells both oxy machines.
It has a report for each that shows what it does for a Lynx.

http://www.suncoastbeads.com/

Bill
Old 2006-07-02, 7:15pm
PyronamixK

Wally tested the Onyx+ and the Integra 10. He liked the Integra 10 better and bought it. Now, I have it and use it. It works great for the Lynx.
Old 2006-07-02, 8:59pm

Two Devilbiss 5LPM Concentrators will also work good!

Old 2006-07-02, 9:05pm

I was leaning towards the Integra 10 until I saw the Onyx also and totally confused myself

You're input helped, thank you (all of you).

Old 2006-07-03, 12:04am

I run my Lynx on the Onyx+ and it runs great. It has only 1-2 lpm less than the Integra but more than twice the psi. Truth be told, I think that either of the machines would work well.

Paulette is a great supplier and the company that builds the Onyx+ has wonderful technical support!

Kari
Old 2006-07-06, 4:47am

The Unlimited Oxygen 1510 and the 2010 "Tornado" work very well with the Lynx. The 1510 is 15 PSI/10 LPM and the 2010 is 20 PSI/10 LPM.
Old 2006-07-06, 6:31am
Carpe Beadum

Kristian, I had been asking about a 1510 too, in the thread I started. Do you have specs on it? I'd like to know how loud it is, how much energy it uses, how heavy it is, etc.... *S*

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-07-06, 6:56am

The 1510 is about as loud as a small refrigerator hum. As far as energy usage, it uses less than a 110 V kiln. The unit itself is approximatly 70 Lbs.

This unit produces 10 LPM with 15 PSI pressure, which is 5 PSI more than the Integra 10. Both the 1510 and the Integra 10 produce 8-10 LPM.
Old 2006-07-06, 6:58am
Carpe Beadum

Thanks for the info, Kristian!

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-07-12, 7:43am

The Integra 10 has a completely different seive system that insures that you will NOT have a lag between cycles...what does this mean to you? No breathing flame. The Onyx+ is considered an industrial generator...difference is...it doesn't have the medical bells and whistles. It has the same workings a most concentrators...2 seive bed system. These machines are new, shipped directly from the manufacturer to you. You can stop by at the Sequal (Integra 10) booth at the gathering and see the Integra 10. Be sure and say hello to Mark and Brian!

Old 2006-07-12, 10:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastbeads
The Integra 10 has a completely different seive system that insures that you will NOT have a lag between cycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastbeads
It has the same workings a most concentrators...2 seive bed system.

Old 2006-07-12, 11:59am
Safety ALWAYS

Knock it off Justin, you are just making yourself look like an ass.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-07-12, 12:37pm

I retract my statement because I misread!

Last edited by Justin L; 2006-07-12 at 2:37pm.
Old 2006-07-12, 1:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Knock it off Justin, you are just making yourself look like an ass.
Well, I think that was just uncalled for.

Justin, Paulette was referring to the Onyx+ when she mentioned the two sieve beds. I think if you go back and read her post you will see that.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-07-12, 1:29pm

ahh, you're right! I misread Sorry!

Last edited by Justin L; 2006-07-12 at 2:38pm.
Old 2006-09-21, 9:57am

Thanks for the input everyone. I bought the Integra 10 and actually received the new updated Regalia. I just used my Lynx this past Saturday at a friend's home. We hooked it up to her tanked oxy instead though. (I didn't want to drag my Regalia out and risk dropping it or damaging it somehow). No way can I afford to replace the thing!

The Lynx was awesome on the tanked oxy! We did notice some *breathing* though. Is that normal? It was the first time the Lynx had been used. Propane was set to about 4 and the oxygen was around 8. At one point the propane pressure had dipped a bit so upped it back to 4 but it was still breathing.

Any thoughts on why this happened and what to do next time, if it's even something to worry about.

I can't wait to see how it works on the Regalia.

Old 2006-09-21, 10:23am
PyronamixK

It sounds like fluctuation from the propane regulator. Bump up the propane pressure on your regulator to 10-15 psi and see if that helps. A setting of 4 psi is really too low for most of the regulators used by lampworkers. By bumping up the pressure, you are not making your Lynx eat any more fuel - because the needle valves on your torch actually control the amount of fuel and oxygen getting to the torch head.

EDITED TO ADD:

This totally slipped my mind...sorry... Is the "breathing" a fluctuation where the flame shrinks and grows, shrinks and grows? Or, is it that you have it set, and then it shrinks back and you have to adjust it back?

If it goes back and forth without adjustment, then it is likely the regulator.

If it shrinks back, but does not go back on its own, then it is likely the valves seating on the Lynx (if it is a new one). The valves on GTT have a "breaking in" period. The more you use the torch, the sooner the valves will break in.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-09-21 at 10:58am.
Old 2006-09-21, 11:20pm

Thanks for your answer! The flame shrinks and grows, shrinks and grows and it's a brand new regulator. I'll wait and see if it happens on my setup, if it does... up the pressure and... if it still does- the regulator's bad?

Well let's hope upping the pressure takes care of it. And the propane is supposed to be set at half the oxy pressure. Is this true?