Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-08-04, 11:37pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default Torch is getting hottter

Hey all
I have a National 8 , and since the last 3 uses it got so hot that when I touched it, it left a mark on me.
Could something?? be leaking. Anyone else has that problem?
Any ideas or tip greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Katja
Old 2006-08-05, 6:34am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti
Hey all
I have a National 8 , and since the last 3 uses it got so hot that when I touched it, it left a mark on me.
Could something?? be leaking. Anyone else has that problem?
Any ideas or tip greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Katja
What heads are you using?
Tanked O2?
O2 pressure?

Bill
Old 2006-08-05, 8:21am
Crispy Critter

I had noticed the same thing with my Minor. It turned out that a screw was getting worked loose and a part was slipping out of place. I discovered this when the torch fell apart when I was in the middle of a bead. Yes, I did almost have a freakin' heart attack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-05, 9:12am
PyronamixK

The part that slipped on your torch, Chris, was probably the heat shield. It is a good idea to check and make sure that the heat shield is placed properly and the screw is tightened when you first get your torch. Sometimes, not often, things can loosen up during shipping. I think that the heat shield is supposed to be positioned so the tubes are exposed by at least 1/8". I am not positive about that number, maybe one of the Nortel distributors can chime in. You can also call Nortel. They are friendly and will be happy to answer questions. It's important that the heat shield not overhang the tubes.

Katja, have you checked the "O" ring of your torch? Sometimes those can fail and cause the torch to overeat.
Old 2006-08-05, 10:42am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
The part that slipped on your torch, Chris, was probably the heat shield. It is a good idea to check and make sure that the heat shield is placed properly and the screw is tightened when you first get your torch. Sometimes, not often, things can loosen up during shipping. I think that the heat shield is supposed to be positioned so the tubes are exposed by at least 1/8". I am not positive about that number, maybe one of the Nortel distributors can chime in. You can also call Nortel. They are friendly and will be happy to answer questions. It's important that the heat shield not overhang the tubes.
I went and took it apart and put it back together just to make sure I had done it correctly the first time. (I had...whew!) The torch was okay when I received it. I frequently change the angle of the torch by grabbing the torch instead of the part that mounts it to the base and am sure that's how the screw worked loose. The torch and marver had gradually gotten hotter and I had started having problems with the flame. Thanks for your help, Kimberly!

Old 2006-08-05, 1:29pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Thanks for the info. I use tanked 02 at 10 pressure.
Ok where are the O rings. Inside the torch?
Guess i have to get my manual.

Katja
Old 2006-08-05, 10:14pm
PyronamixK

Yes, it's inside the torch along a shaft thing.