Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-08-20, 10:00am
Mandrel Slayer

Default Help - Black stuff coming out of Minor - Mapp???

Hi,

I just got my new minor running after a bad regulator delay, but now I have black soot like build up coming out of torch and have to stop and clean it. My husband says the soot means its reducing but I even have a hiss when I turn up the oxygen. I am using tanked O2. Does anybody know what wrong and has this ruined my torch?

Thanks,

Bonny

PS Sundane was absolutely fabulous about the regulator problem. They had a new regulator in the mail less than 24 hours after receiving my return. Thank you Brian.
Old 2006-08-20, 11:00am
PyronamixK

Are you sure you're running a neutral flame when this is happening? What do the candles look like? How long are they and what kind of tips do they have on the ends? What pressures are you running with your oxygen?
Old 2006-08-20, 11:06am
Mandrel Slayer

I am running 20/10 at the regulators but it was doing the same with 10/5. The candles are a little longer than 1/2". They are bright rather than blue. When it gets clogged some of them lengthen brightly and some curve and look all gas. Is the MAPP ok to run with the minor.

Thanks

Bonny
Old 2006-08-20, 11:44am
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads
I am running 20/10 at the regulators but it was doing the same with 10/5. The candles are a little longer than 1/2". They are bright rather than blue. When it gets clogged some of them lengthen brightly and some curve and look all gas. Is the MAPP ok to run with the minor.

Thanks

Bonny
MAPP?

Are you running a HH bulk tank hose and "MAPP" connected to the minor?
Old 2006-08-20, 12:27pm
Mandrel Slayer

I am running MAPP gas with oxy/propane hoses. The glass store that sold me the tank said I can run the MAPP in a two gas setup. Now I am wondering if he was wrong.

Thanks,

Bonny
Old 2006-08-20, 12:30pm
Incognito

Bonnie,
I'm not the expert here but I believe MAPP gas should not used with a minor bench burner. I used MAPP for my Hot head torch but was told it runs too hot for my minor and should run propane with minor and O2. Hope this helps.
Linda
Old 2006-08-20, 12:37pm
PyronamixK

Yep, it sounds like MAPP is the culprit. MAPP has acetylene in it and is very hot and harsh on colors, too. The Minor burner does great on plain ole Propane.
Old 2006-08-20, 12:42pm
Mandrel Slayer

Thanks everyone. I am out to dismantle the gas grill to see if this solves the problem. Propane is less expensive as well. I hope I haven't damaged the torch.

Thanks,

Bonny
Old 2006-08-20, 12:51pm
PyronamixK

Nah, you probably have not damaged the torch. You might want to give it a good cleaning, though.
Old 2006-08-20, 12:54pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
I am running MAPP gas with oxy/propane hoses. The glass store that sold me the tank said I can run the MAPP in a two gas setup. Now I am wondering if he was wrong.

Thanks,

Bonny
It "might" be MAPP fuel you have, but it would be unusual for a bulk suppler to sell proprietary MAPP due to cost. Usually, it is allene, or more commonly propene (aka propylene), or a propane blended with an accelerant to make it hotter, conventionally referrerd to as brazing fuels.

In any case, as Bonnie and Kimberly said, propane would be a better choice.

Switch over to propane. If you have BBQ grill, go grab that cylinder... burgers and hotdogs can wait... glass is more important If not, go to your local corner market or home improvment center and spring for a full, exchangeable, cylinder of propane.

The regulator will screw into the BBQ cylinder valve's internal threading.

Then, reset your pressures to 10 psi oxy and 5 psi propane.

Me
p.s. I was more concerned that you might have used a HH bulk hose in the set-up, but it sounds like your ok, hose-wise.
Old 2006-08-20, 1:39pm
Mandrel Slayer

Yeah!!!!!!
I know have blue cones with tiny yellow tips. I cleaned and vacuumed the torch. This was a good excuse to get the fuel out of the house which was another thing I was told was ok by local glass guy. Yes, it was propylene. Everyone is great on this forum. Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Bonny
Old 2006-08-20, 2:16pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Yeah!!!!!!
I know have blue cones with tiny yellow tips. I cleaned and vacuumed the torch. This was a good excuse to get the fuel out of the house which was another thing I was told was ok by local glass guy. Yes, it was propylene. Everyone is great on this forum. Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Bonny
Good news is always nice to hear!

Thanks for the feedback.

Me