Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-10-03, 12:49am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Propane Regulator - Please Help Lost Newbie..

Hi guys,

I post a question not so long ago about the propane fume I keep smelling around my house after I use the torch. Right now, I have the exhaust fan up and running nicely. But I still smell the fume a bit.
I dont use the Propane regulator for lampworking, I only use cheap regulator from Canadian Tire. I was going to buy the real regulator when I bought the whole set, but the guy at Nortel told us, there's no need to have the expensive regulator, it doesnt really make a difference. So, of course, any suggestion that will save us money, will be a good suggestion, right?

I wonder if the fume smell is caused by the cheap regulator?

What is the different between using the regulator for lampworking, than the regular regulator? Since the price difference is a lot, I assume there must be something different about it.

But the guy who told me there's no difference between the 2, is a guy from Nortel manufacturer, the place where they make the Minor torch, etc. So, I kinda want to believe him.

I'm asking this question so I can get straight answers, and make up my mind about this propane regulator once and for all. Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-03, 1:32am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Have you tried checking the regulator and hose clamps, you might want to put some dishwashing detergent on it, and turn on your propane. If your regulator is leeking, you will see bubbles appear right away.

Suzanne

Old 2005-10-03, 4:50am
Safety ALWAYS

What is a "cheap regulator from Canadian tire"? Is this an air pressure regulator?

If you are using a regulator designed to control the pressure of compressed air, that is the problem. You absolutely HAVE to use a regulator designed for fuel gas. Compressed air regulators do not have the proper materials in the diaphragm to keep the fuel gasses from eating them up, they do not have the proper design to prevent fuel gas from leaking into the general air (compressed air can leak all it wants and doesn't blow up your house).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-03, 7:28am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF you are using a fuel regulator... Either cheap or expensive it should not leave propane smell in studio UNLESS it is leaking.... How expensive it may cost does have some effect on quality. But inexpensive does not always mean its bad...

I use a $16 (US) fixed propane regulator on fuel/oxy system when I had loaner torch here, and it worked just fine...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-10-03, 12:03pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I'm not sure what kind of regulator that I use, my husband got it and set it up for me. I will check with him.

Suzanne, I will try the detergent, thanks!

Thanks guys!