Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2005-10-03, 11:31am

Default Upgrading Question ~ Propane......

Hi Guys,

I am looking into upgrading from my Hot Head torch to a oxy con and propane set up and I just ran out of Propolyne in my bulk tank. I went to get it refilled today and had a thought....... since I am upgrading soon could I go with propane for now (will it work on the Hot Head and will I be able to use it between now and when I get the oxycon and the new torch /w the HH torch) I think I have read where it can be used but I may notice a film or something like that. Can any of you give me some imput on this Please??? I need to go and decide on it right away.

THANKS!
Melanie
Old 2005-10-03, 11:34am
Mary Lockwood

You can't fill a tank that had propylene in it with propane.

You will have to get a new tank for your propane.

On the upside, yes, you can use propane with your hothead. I did it for 2 years.

However, you are definitely going to get someone here to pipe up and say you can't use propane on your hothead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-03, 12:07pm

Yeah they were going to give me a trade in on the propolyne tank and I would be buying a 55gal propane tank........ I just need to know if it will work. I am hoping to come home from Corina's class in November with a new torch then I will just need the oxycon.

Mel
Old 2005-10-03, 12:24pm

Moth,

Are there any things I need to know about glasses to use or not to use with Propane. Are some more prone to problems than others?

Mel
Old 2005-10-03, 1:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi again Mel,
I'm glad to hear you got the tank thing taken care of.

I went from using the 1 pound mapp cylinders to a 20# propane tank and was pleasantly surprised that I noticed no difference in color development, reduction or soot.

I did get benefits such as a more pressure and consistency of flame, but you have been on bulk mapp, so you won't feel a difference there.

The mapp will burn hotter than the propane, so expect a little less heat.

This is where you will get the arguments against propane.

In some areas, as the story goes, the propane is 'dirty' and in some areas it is 'clean'. If you get saddled with dirty propane, it doesn't burn hot enough to not leave soot in your transparents. If you have clean propane it isn't really a problem.

Do not work close to the head of the torch. Work out toward the end of the sharp inner cone (at least). This is the point where you are getting the cleanest flame because the air that has been sucked into the ports at the side of the torch head has fully mixed with the propane and it is as hot as it is going to get.

This is how it was explained to me and I have to agree that if you work too close to the torch head, you will have more problems than if you work further out.

In all honesty, I am not sure about the dirty vs. clean propane argument. I thought a lot of people who had trouble with soot simply worked too close in or had their torch cranked too high. The only element that makes me believe the dirty/clean propane issue is that some people complaining about dirty propane were people who had been lampworking for quite a while, and knew what they were doing.

I guess what I am getting at is this:
You could possibly (not probably) have trouble with dirty looking, sooty transparents and the occasional streak of soot on the surface of opaques. If this happens, work further out and/or turn down the gas. If this doesn't fix your problem with the propane, then you might not be able to 'fix' the issue, but rather work with darker colors and lots of opaques while you wait for your new setup.

If you were looking at going another 6 months or so with the hothead, I personally would stick with what is already working. If you feel your change will be made within a month or 6 weeks, I would switch now to save yourself having to waste a newly refilled tank of mapp...unless they will reimburse you the gas price when they credit you for the tank trade.

Also, you will have to evaluate how important your beadmaking is to you or your livelihood. If it will create a hardship for you to not be able to produce your normal type of beads for an extended period of time if you run into a counter-productive propane issue...is it worth it?

It would be easier to trade in your mapp tank later, than it will be to get the propane now and be sorry for weeks while you get set up.

Just some things to think about.
Good luck and if you have any questions about anything as you go...feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help ya.

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-04, 5:46am

Mary,

Thanks so much sweetie. I did get the propane tank (It will inspire me to upgrade QUICKER!!!!!! lolol) They did have a 30 lb canister so it was an even exchange and I just paid for the gas. They are so great to me. I have not tried it as of yet but it is hooked up and I checked for leaks. I hope to try it out today.

Melanie
Old 2005-10-04, 7:30am

wow Mel a 30#tank is going to last you FOREVER!!!!, and here propane is pretty much clean. During our remodel (yes, MIL is probably going to move in permanently) I'm thinking of having my torch plumbed for natural gas