Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-05-23, 5:15am

Default Do you use a low pressure propane regulator?

Hi there,
Could you please tell me if you use a propane regulator that reads from 0-15PSI and not say 0-60 or 100?
I am having trouble convincing the glass supply house I am buying my torch set-up from that that is what I need.
Maybe I'm wrong and it's only an issue for Oxygen?
Thanks so much,
Angela
Old 2007-05-23, 7:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Get a different supplier if they will not sell you the product you desire....

0-15 is desirable for fuel, 0-30 or 0-60 is fine for oxygen... Be aware a Acetylene regulator that has a gauge that shows the first half of gauge as 0-15 and second half of gauge is "red lined" is probably a 0-30 psi gauge... There is an inherent danger of running ACETYLENE at pressures over 15 psi that is UNIQUE to ACETYLENE ONLY. This should not concern you when using a acetylene regulator with propane... A regulator with the lower range will be more sensitive to adjustment and regulation than a regulator with the higher range...

Go to welding supply and just get appropriate low pressure ACETYLENE regulator.... For all purposes its the same design. construction, and probably same internal materials... Only fuel name on face is different.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-05-23 at 8:13am.
Old 2007-05-23, 9:27am

[quote=Dale M.;1181156]Get a different supplier if they will not sell you product you desire....

[quote]0-15 is desirable for fuel, 0-30 or 0-60 is fine for oxygen...

Go to welding supply and just get appropriate low pressure ACETYLENE regulator.... For all purposes its the same design. construction, and probably same internal materials... Only fuel name on face is different.

DaleQUOTE]

Thanks Dale, That's what I needed to know. Plus I wasn't sure if an Acetylene regulator was the same. The welding supply house has the one you describe 0-15-30 (red lined).
A little later....
I just received a return call from Carlisle and they recommend and sell the one you described for their torches.
Thanks bunches,
Angela
PS: I have your papers on regulators and also how to set up the torch, printed out and waiting. What would I do without you ?

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-05-23 at 11:10am.
Old 2007-05-23, 11:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
PS: I have your papers on regulators and also how to set up the torch, printed out and waiting. What would I do without you ?
You would have searched the internet and other forums and found many qualified people that can answer your questions....

The 0-15-30 redline Acetylene is just fine.... Propane in most application usually is run at anywhere form 5-10 psi ....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-05-23 at 11:10am.
Old 2007-05-23, 11:15am

Quote:
Dale M.;1181495]You would have searched the internet and other forums and found many qualified people that can answer your questions....
I doubt if more qualified. And whenever I or someone else is stuck on what to do, you are always quick to assist. It's not usual.

Quote:
The 0-15-30 redline Acetylene is just fine.... Propane in most application usually is run at anywhere form 5-10 psi ....
Got it!

Angela
Old 2007-05-23, 11:37am
PyronamixK

Don't sell yourself short, Dale! You are very helpful.
Old 2007-05-23, 2:55pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Thank you... You are also awesome!...

But there are many excellent sources of information on internet, I am only one voice in the multitude.

Dale

Old 2007-05-27, 5:00pm

Re-hi! I just wanted to say how glad I am you suggested sticking with the low pressure regulator. It's so much easier for me to dial in 3.5PSI on this one. I can't imagine doing it with one that reads up to 100!
I would recommend it for anyone who is buying a new regulator and a torch that needs 3-5 PSI.
It also wasn't any more expensive than the higher range regulators. I paid $90.00 from a welding shop that has been here 30 years. The brand is Goss.

FWIW,
Angela