Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-10-06, 5:05am

Default Natural Gas and Torches

I use propane and tanked O2. I work in my basement and the tanks are in there with me. Moving the propane outside is a possibility, but I have NG and wanted to know more about this.
1. How do you hook it up to your torch? What equipment do I need to buy and where can I find it?
2. Do I need a professional to come in and do this?
3. How does it effect the torches flame? Does NG burn cleaner or dirtier or any different than propane?
4. Tanked O2 is inexpensive for me here so I plan on keeping that rather than an oxycon but should that tank be outside as well? I live downtown and next to two campuses and are sometimes subjected to drunk students who vandalize so tanks outside might not fare well.

(on a side note how far away should tanks be from the exterior of the house? I have a very small lot so not much room.)
Old 2005-10-06, 5:44am
Safety ALWAYS

Depending on your specific torch, you may not be able to use NG and get full capability from your torch without an additional NG pressure booster.

The torches that will work at full capability are the Nortel Minor, Midrange and Midrange Plus. Other torches will work, but won't be running at full heat.

It is very easy to do - you should *ALWAYS* use a licensed plumber who has knowledge of fuel gas plumbing requirements do this kind of work. This is not a job for a handy spouse or friend to do. Messing with fuel gas piping is hazardous if you don't know what you are doing.

Basically, it involves putting a "T" in the existing NG line, running black pipe or soft wall copper to an area near the torch, installing a shut off valve and a 1/4" hose fitting (with a barb end for the hose). That's all that's required. Your existing T grade red hose will fit right onto the barb end and with a non-screw type permanent hose clamp, you are ready to go.

NG is slightly cooler, by about 200 degrees or so than propane is, but does burn cleaner. In some areas NG is less expensive, in others more expensive.

Your oxygen tanks do not *need* to be outside, but they should always be chained to a wall to keep them from tipping over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-06, 10:03am
Ad astra per aspera

Mike nailed it. I have a Midrange Plus, just got my NG line in at last! I used NG back in PA, too, and love it. It definitely burns cleaner, and the temp difference isn't noticeable to me. I can bend 3/4" boro rod fairly quickly with no problems at all. The only quirk is that getting good reduction reactions takes a little bit of patience, it doesn't happen quite the same way as with propane. The nice thing is, if you want Effetre turquoise to stay clean, you can make it do so!

Old 2005-10-07, 10:25am

I have a bobcat and GTT said it will run on NG fine. WAHOO!
Old 2005-10-09, 11:53am
MomOnAMission

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenia
I have a bobcat and GTT said it will run on NG fine. WAHOO!

I have this set up and it works like a charm!
Old 2005-10-13, 8:42pm
Dichro Addict

I'm going to have someone come hook up natural gas for my torch. There is an "outlet thingy" (how's that for a technical term?) in my studio already, so I'm hoping it will just be a shut off valve and a hose fitting.

Will I need to use a regulator and/or a flashback arrestor like with the propane or do I just hook it up and go?

Thanks,
Lenora
Old 2005-10-14, 4:22am
Safety ALWAYS

A regulator is not needed, there is already one on the outside of your house. Flashback arrestors are necessary only if feel safer with them in place. Otherwise, just hook up and go.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-10-14, 7:00am
Sorry for party rockin'

I run a minor on NG and a concentrator and I'm happy with it . . . . it's probably cooler than a tanked set up but I don't know the difference.

Old 2005-10-14, 12:11pm
Dichro Addict

Smile

Thanks so much for the info! The plumber is coming out today, so hopefully this will work out. I'm so tired of the propane tanks, and I'm all about safety since I do this in my home. Once I get this all set up, I'll post pictures of the studio.

Thanks again!!!
Lenora