Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-09-26, 2:11pm

Default Where can I purchase ...

My eyes have really been bothering me lately and I am ready to invest in some better protective torch glasses.I really woud love glasse that could fit easily over my reading glasses and had the least amount of color distortion. Could anyone suggest some ,and where to purchase.Thanks...Connie
Old 2007-09-26, 2:21pm
burnin' glass just becuz

if you have an old pair of glasses, you can send them to Mike at Auralens (sp?) and he will put some Aur-92 lenses into the old frames. i think he can even do prescription lenses. i've tried the aur-92s and they really reduce the eye fatigue and increase clarity compared to regular didys...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-09-26, 2:35pm
Missing presumed fed

What have you been wearing?

Both Auralens and Phillips Safety offer the ACE filter in reading lens strengths. AUR-92 is Auralens's version of the ACE filter. It's much more comfortable to wear one pair of glasses rather than to wear a pair on top of another pair. On the other hand, if you need to change the strength of your reading glasses, you'd need new torching glasses, too, and they're not cheap. I think my AUR-92 readers from Auralens were around $140-$150. A little slow on the service, too.

Another option for magnification is the stick-on lenses, called (I think) Optx-20/20. It's something like that. I found them in a drug store, but haven't seen them often. They're add-on mini-lenses in reading strengths -- kind of like do-it-yourself bifocals. You can find them on line. You put warm water in your glasses and float the lenses into place, then let them dry for 24 hours. I have a pair in my old AUR-92s, and they work pretty well, although I have trouble getting them into place without air bubbles underneath. A set of the lenses is about $20, and they come in the same strengths as reading glasses. I wear those glasses for classes and places where I need to look up and be able to see distance, since I can't see distance through my AUR-92s that are entirely the reading "prescription."

Back before I needed reading lenses, I did send an old pair of frames to Auralens and had AUR-92 lenses put in them. It's great if you have trouble finding frames to fit your face. You can send a pair that you know will fit.
Old 2007-09-29, 1:41pm
birdergirl ~o~

Arrow Springs sells clip ons for $89.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~