Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-11-23, 11:22am

Default Mini-CC and concentrators ?

Does anyone know if you can run a Mini-CC on 2 concentrators ? I know 1 would not be enough, but 2 ?
Thanks

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop

Last edited by Anne Londez; 2007-11-23 at 11:41am.
Old 2007-11-23, 11:49am
Facebook addict

Anne,
I run mine on two concentrators and it does great. I ran it on one for a short period of time and found the knobs got a little warm. Hooking up two fixed the knob problem.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-11-23, 11:54am

Me too! I started with one oxy-con and knobs got hot. Went to 2 and enjoyed working with boro and noticed the knobs on the mini cc were considerable less hot. When I work with 104, the flame is shorter so heat is closer to torch nozzle, which translates into hot knobs.

Yes, a mini cc works very very well on 2 oxy cons.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-11-23, 12:48pm
ManBearPig

Two will run it fine. We have a Knight 7 port torch (which is virtually the same as a Mini CC) and I make all kinds of things on it running 2 concentrators.

Old 2007-11-23, 2:20pm

Thanks guys !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2007-11-23, 3:19pm
BeadsonCypress

I have a 5 litre generator which is more than adequate, biut if you want to do boro or ever move up to a larger torch, you will need 10-15 litres.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2007-11-26, 8:39am
PyronamixK

The more oxygen the better. Two 5 LPM concentrators or a single 10 LPM concentrator will feed a Mini CC well. Keep in mind that the longer you can push your candles, the less heat the body of the torch (the knobs) takes on. So, even if you are running on tanked oxygen, if you are running short candles on the Mini CC, you will overheat the torch and get the hot knobs.
Old 2007-11-26, 12:03pm
Butterfly Rancher

I went from an M10 to a Regalia this summer and my MiniCC is soooo much happier! It was definitely way underpowered on just 5LPM -- I could make beads but now I can play with silver glass, raku, boro...

And, if you're looking to buy an oxycon, Kimberly in the post above is great to deal with!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-27, 3:37am
Knob Creek Glass

I use two, or three, M-15's with my Mini CC. I need to hook up my Carlisle Hellcat!
Old 2007-11-27, 4:54am
BeadsonCypress

My supposed 5 ltr generator pushes 1/2 inch candles, a huge flame and reactions are not a problem at all?? (except terra, I still haven't gotten all I can from that one)..If my knobs get hot, I just turn up a little more and it straightens right out! When I worked at Carlisle, they started testing using 5 ltr generators and they were ok there too, 10 was much better with boro though....

Old 2007-11-27, 10:32am
PyronamixK

Sure, you can get 1/2 candles with a 5 LPM concentrator on a Mini CC ... but are they neutral? A neutral candle will be mostly blue with a slight yellow/white tip.

A lot of the reactions you get from glass are reduction effects. Reduction is accomplished by using less oxygen than needed for a neutral, balanced flame. A reduction flame will have candles that are blue with a lot of yellow/whiyte on the ends. The more yellow/white, the more reducing.

Terra requires an oxidizing flame - one that has more oxygen than a neutral flame. The candles of an oxidizing flame are all blue with absolutely no yellow/white tips.

When using natural gas, this can be tricky, because you might not easily see any tips even with a neutral or slightly reducing flame. Also, if you concentrator is not putting out good purity, it will be hard to tell if the flame is truly oxidizing or neutral because air (what is being pushed through a low-purity concentrator) combusts fuel to some degree, too.

On a 5 LPM concentrator, you may have to run pretty short candles on a Mini CC to get a nice oxidizing flame.

I think it depends a lot on your working style and what you are making as to whether running a Mini CC on 5 LPM will be satisfactory. For some people, it absolutely is. For others, they much prefer 10 LPM.
Old 2007-11-28, 4:32am
BeadsonCypress

I totall agree with Kinkster......

Old 2007-11-29, 1:25pm

I used a Mini cc and 2 cons. for about a year and it is a great combo.The only reason I don't still use it is I wanted bigger.
G.