Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-07-25, 9:03am

Default Didymium bench mount shield...

Does anyone know where I can get a didymium lens bench shield? I'm looking for the long neck which attaches to your bench; has a quick release type thing-a-majig, it's not the one which stands on its own base.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I wear glasses and have gone through too many Ace 202 Fit overs; the plastic tends to break, and clip on's are a bit too heavy for me.
Thanks
Old 2010-07-25, 9:29am
Certified Glassaholic!

Blue Moon in Austin, TX has them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-25, 2:31pm

Have you checked with Howaco? I think Jamey carries them, and she is great to deal with, fair prices, quick delivery.
Old 2010-07-28, 10:31am

sundance carries them

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C82

Old 2013-06-29, 9:00am
Loving learning

Do these come with different sizes of "neck"?
Different sizes of the actual lens?

I've been feeling like I've been roasting my face lately, and am thinking a shield would protect my face from some of the heat, is that correct?

Any other info would be welcome too.
Old 2013-06-29, 10:51am
Salt Box Beads

It does protect your face somewhat. Have someone watch you torch, you may be leaning into the torch area to see what you are doing with the bead especially if your eye sight isn't that great.

In which case you will be getting much more of the ambient heat. I actually wear a full face respirator when my face is feeling extra sensitive to the heat. It helps a lot.
Old 2013-06-29, 10:54am
Loving learning

I would also love to not have two pair of glasses on while I'm torching.

I sometimes use the headgear with the corrective "lenses" which are great for the close work, but then I look across the room & can't see well plus they make me a little queasy sometimes when I do that.

Now I'm trying to figure out if the one with the base, or the one that has the quick connect would work better for me.
Old 2013-06-29, 11:04am

Quote:

I sometimes use the headgear with the corrective "lenses" which are great for the close work, but then I look across the room & can't see well plus they make me a little queasy sometimes when I do that.

Now I'm trying to figure out if the one with the base, or the one that has the quick connect would work better for me.
I am ordering the one with the flat base as it has to be removal which gives me more mounting options.

Old 2013-06-29, 11:17am
Loving learning

I was wondering if the quick connect or the clamp quick connect would work if I rigged some wood to come down from the ceiling to clamp it to, but I'm not sure it would be secure enough.
Old 2013-06-29, 11:23am

Quote:
I was wondering if the quick connect or the clamp quick connect would work if I rigged some wood to come down from the ceiling to clamp it to, but I'm not sure it would be secure enough.
I like the hanging concept as well but like you said, will it be stable enough? Don't want it moving as that would make it appear your work is moving around.

Old 2013-06-29, 11:28am
Loving learning

I also don't want it to fall & break the shield if it hits the table or torch, etc.
Old 2013-06-29, 1:22pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:

I attached mine inside the hood and it hangs down in front of the torch, I can easily change the position of it. This way is isn't on the bench and I freedom to move my glass rods I am working with. I also purchased a large square quilters magnifyer that I taped over the top of the aura lens shield.

This system has worked best for me so now I don't have to wear my prescription glasses or didy's or readers. I am free to wear a full face respirator too.

Tweeking the workbench set up really turned out to be the hardest part for me. I had DH watch me and we worked with chair height sitting posture and standing posture and we worked with arm rests until we got it very comfortable and posture was correct. It took days. But was worth it. No sore shoulders, neck or back. No burning stinging eyes, wrists are used in a relaxed position etc.

I am too old to just plop my rear down and torch away! LOL
Serious repercussions would occur trying to get out of the bed the next morning.
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-29, 1:30pm

Quote:

I attached mine inside the hood and it hangs down in front of the torch, I can easily change the position of it. This way is isn't on the bench and I freedom to move my glass rods I am working with. I also purchased a large square quilters magnifyer that I taped over the top of the aura lens shield.

This system has worked best for me so now I don't have to wear my prescription glasses or didy's or readers. I am free to wear a full face respirator too.

This does not look like the one I am looking at, seams larger. Where did you purchase this one?

Old 2013-06-29, 2:11pm
Salt Box Beads

Its from Auralens...I don't think they are in production anymore.

You can easily make your own.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-06-29 at 2:17pm.
Old 2013-06-29, 3:47pm
Loving learning

I have looked at that before, but couldn't figure out how I could get the texture out of it. I don't have any tools for doing that.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:58am
><>

Quote:
I have looked at that before, but couldn't figure out how I could get the texture out of it. I don't have any tools for doing that.
Yeah, I saw that too.
"These sheets are also excellent for use at filtering out the sodium flare from torch work. They do have a textured surface on the glass that may affect visibility so you will have to grind and polish the surface for a true "window" look."
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2013-07-12, 1:23pm

Please note that most lampworkers are NOT using "Didymium" glasses any more. Rose Didymium was the first generation of glasses for lampworkers many years ago, but they only filtered out the yellow Sodium flair, and have not been made for quite a while.

The newer glasses, although mistakenly called Didymium, are not. The newer glasses use a lens material that offers filtration of the IR, the UV, *plus* the yellow Sodium flair. Both the Phillips ACE 202 and the Aura 92 lenses use this same glass lens material. It's made by Schott in Germany.

You can still buy Didymium lenses for photography, in several different colors. These are *not* the same as the lenses we need for lampworking. Likewise, the didymium sheet glass that HIS Glassworks carries is *not* the same as what we need. So please, don't waste your time trying to flat lap and polish one of them.

Phillips makes a bench mount shield using their ACE 202 glass. You can get one through me (even though it's not (yet) on my web site), directly from Phillips, or from any of their other distributors. The 4-1/2" x 5" shield, with base and neck, costs $180. They also offer a 6-1/4" x 6-1/4" shield at an additional cost.

For the original poster, Austin Blue Moon took one of the standard 4-1/2 x 5" Phillips shields, and added their own 'quick release' mount to it.

HTH

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-07-12, 2:10pm
Loving learning

Do you have the larger size available? If so, cost? Part of the reason I'm interested is to shield my face from the heat, so I figure bigger is probably better, right?
Old 2013-07-12, 2:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Eileen you could use one of these to keep the heat from your face.

They are really cheap some have readers plus I use mine all of the time for lots of other workbench applications.
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-12, 2:44pm
Loving learning

Lorraine, I thought about that, saw some at HF, but it looks like it would be hot, maybe even fog up when it's really hot & humid here.
Old 2013-07-12, 2:46pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
You can still buy Didymium lenses for photography, in several different colors. These are *not* the same as the lenses we need for lampworking.

Quite a few people say we don't even need glasses for soft glass unless the sodium flare bothers us or keeps us from seeing what we are working on?

Likewise, the didymium sheet glass that HIS Glassworks carries is *not* the same as what we need. So please, don't waste your time trying to flat lap and polish one of them.

If we really do not need eye shields for soft glass then why can't the sheets work? Wouldn't they be a step up from nothing? And since we don't really need sodium flare protection why wouldn't it be okay to use anything to help protect our faces from the ambient heat?

HTH

Malcolm
Old 2013-07-12, 2:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Sometimes it is hot, sometimes these things do fog up...
I try to always torch in the morning or eves, but my new studio has AC so it is going to solve a few problems.

Keep looking and I will keep looking for you too. Hopefully we can come up with something that will work for you.
Old 2013-07-12, 2:53pm
Loving learning

Thank you for helping, but I also want to get the extra pair of glasses off my face. If I can't find the larger size at a cost I'm comfy with, I'm going to order the smaller one I guess. I came in the other day, & DH looked at me & asked if I had ordered it yet. I asked why, and he said my face was red. I figure that isn't good for my skin if nothing else, and living in FL I have enough damage from the sun.
Old 2013-07-12, 6:52pm
Salt Box Beads

You can buy the blast shield from Mountainglass and then get the dual channel so you can slide in any welders eye protection you want.

Comes with lots of options

Old 2013-07-14, 1:44am

Eileen, I have the normal one with the stand and I find that it protects my face from the heat efficiently.

For others who may use glasses: I absolutely recommend the shields over the glasses. You can look around the room (or watch TV like I do) without seeing everything Didy-color. Aaaand - best of all: For me it was rather warm under the glasses (in Spring, Summer, Autumn) which made me refrain from making beads often enough. After gettting my shield I could not understand that I didn't buy one long ago.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2013-07-14, 7:16am
Loving learning

Thank you Kreszentia
Old 2013-07-14, 7:57pm
Melody of Glass

I've considered the shield but I don't feel my eyes would be as protected from flying bits as with the glasses. I'm about to order prescription didys so I'd be interested to hear what others thin on that front.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-07-19, 10:19am

Just as an update ...

I spoke to my contact at Phillips earlier this week. They are completely out of the glass used to make the shields (don't worry, they have *plenty* of glass to make the lenses for the glasses).

As I mentioned, Phillips gets the glass lens material from Schott. Since Schott has such a high order minimum, Phillips is going to have to wait before they can order any more glass for the shields.

In the mean time, they are still producing shields, but they are using a plastic window instead of a glass window. The plastic window does have the Sodium flare filtration that we need (that's why you can now get lampworking glasses with plastic lenses). Obviously, you wouldn't want to mount one of these on your torch, of close to the flame.

When I get any more information on these, I'll let you all know.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2013-07-19, 10:40am

Quote:
Quite a few people say we don't even need glasses for soft glass unless the sodium flare bothers us or keeps us from seeing what we are working on?
IMO, while I have read that, in the past, there were 'some' people claiming that, I do not think it was "quite a few" people, nor do I think anyone these days is advocating that you do not need eye protection. If nothing else, physical protection is crucial!

Secondly, why the Sodium flare 'may' not be harmful, it does make things more difficult to see what you are doing in the flame. The glasses and/or shield make things easier to see what you are doing.

Quote:
If we really do not need eye shields for soft glass then why can't the sheets work? Wouldn't they be a step up from nothing? And since we don't really need sodium flare protection why wouldn't it be okay to use anything to help protect our faces from the ambient heat?
The glass sheets from HIS are not smooth, and hence are not optically clear. There will be distortion when looking through one.

If you do not want the Sodium flare filtration, then I would suggest a shield that at last offers IR and UV filtration.

Then again, don't be afraid to think outside the box ...

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2013-07-19, 12:14pm
Somewhat out there!

Quote:

I attached mine inside the hood and it hangs down in front of the torch, I can easily change the position of it.
Lorraine,
I am wondering how you attached it to your hood. I have the one on a base and would love to hang it but it seems to me like it would be too stiff to move out of the way. I know it comes off the base but what would I use to attach to the wood hood?

Julianne