Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-01-31, 1:26pm
Sucks at being nice

Default Boroshorts from ABR

Has anyone here ever purchased the Boroshorts from ABR? If so, were you happy with the assortment you received? What was the average length? Any comments would be helpful. I am just dabbling in boro and at $14 a pound I'm thinking this might be a good way to get an assortment to play with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2013-01-31 at 1:32pm.
Old 2013-01-31, 1:46pm

i bought a couple pounds last summer. most rods were between 2 and 6 inches, with a few up to maybe 8".
i got lots of GA amazon colors with mine (at least i think they are) and lots of bits of white and cobalt.
it's a great deal, but it does suck to not know what color you have...assuming it's not a wysiwyg color.
Old 2013-01-31, 1:55pm
Sucks at being nice

So they aren't marked? That's not going to work for me! If I find something I like I need to know what it is so I can buy more of it. Bummer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-31, 2:04pm

When I started I bought the Momka 5" solid sample pack. Loved that I could play and experiment and would know what it was that I liked. Yup ... they all come labeled.

Old 2013-01-31, 2:06pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
When I started I bought the Momka 5" solid sample pack. Loved that I could play and experiment and would know what it was that I liked. Yup ... they all come labeled.
They aren't cheap though. I am hoping not to sink too much money into this little venture. I still have 100s of pounds of 104 calling my name.

Old 2013-01-31, 2:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
They aren't cheap though. I am hoping not to sink too much money into this little venture. I still have 100s of pounds of 104 calling my name.
You get what you pay for. The Northstar sample assortment is nice as well.
Old 2013-01-31, 3:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
Momka's 5" sampler was cheaper than NS or GA's. But then she has less solid colors so far. TAG also has a mini sampler as well.

If you really wanna do it on the cheap ... buy some half rods from Salt City. I've bought mixed Momka shorts from TrevsGlass ... let me tell you ... I could only figure out maybe 1/2 the colors ... too many look similar.

What kinda of colors are you looking for?? Reactives, Crayons ... I might be able to hook you up with some play shorts ... are you running tanked or an oxycon?

Also ... just an idea Art Glass House (Ron Bearer, Jr.) is having a Momka Sale right now. I don't know if he stocks the 5" sampler but if you could pick it up at the sale price that would be sweet.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2013-01-31 at 3:19pm.
Old 2013-01-31, 3:28pm

northstar large sampler is very big, and well worth the money. it comes with a guide on what color does what. full length rods.

GA also has a small (5") sample pack that also has a guide on what color does what...but also tells you why the colors do what they do. it's very in depth and for the $30 it costs, it's a great way to get into boro.
Old 2013-01-31, 3:36pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
You get what you pay for.
If a deal looks to good to be true... I was hoping though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Momka's 5" sampler was cheaper than NS or GA's. But then she has less solid colors so far. TAG also has a mini sampler as well.

If you really wanna do it on the cheap ... buy some half rods from Salt City. I've bought mixed Momka shorts from TrevsGlass ... let me tell you ... I could only figure out maybe 1/2 the colors ... too many look similar.

What kinda of colors are you looking for?? Reactives, Crayons ... I might be able to hook you up with some play shorts ... are you running tanked or an oxycon?

Also ... just an idea Art Glass House (Ron Bearer, Jr.) is having a Momka Sale right now. I don't know if he stocks the 5" sampler but if you could pick it up at the sale price that would be sweet.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find a sampler on Art Glass House's site. I appreciate the offer of you putting something together but I really don't want to put anyone out. I just ran across the shorts and was hoping it was the screaming deal of the century!

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
northstar large sampler is very big, and well worth the money. it comes with a guide on what color does what. full length rods.

GA also has a small (5") sample pack that also has a guide on what color does what...but also tells you why the colors do what they do. it's very in depth and for the $30 it costs, it's a great way to get into boro.
A color guide would definitely be helpful! I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies.

Old 2013-01-31, 4:16pm

imo, the GA color/guide is more cost efficient. it's like $30...but the rods are short, but the literature it comes with is imo superior to what northstar gives out.
but i like northstar colors better.
Old 2013-01-31, 6:36pm

I have "free" color guides produced by Northstar and one for GA. They may not be totally up to date to for the most recent colors. But it will give you a starting point.

Just PM your email address and I'll send them across. One is a word doc the other is a pdf. If you don't have word let me know and I can convert that one to pdf as well.

Old 2013-01-31, 8:20pm
Sucks at being nice

Thank you Laura!

Old 2013-01-31, 8:54pm
Wonder-wench

my $0.02

boro shorts are a great way to just play with colored boro, but you may not know the names.

there are many tips and tricks available for working with boro colors, most of the manufacturers have info for free on their sites. LE and TalkGlass also have many tips & tricks.

I got a sampler pack of boro from TAG, love it! They were all labeled and included a little workbook of 'projects" to learn more about working the colors. AND, best of all, Jenny from TAG is on here regularly and will gladly help out someone with a "how do I use this glass" question.

Old 2013-01-31, 10:12pm

The Glass Alchemy sample pack is probably your best bet if you want to play around. It has silver colors, sparkly colors and some solid and crayon colors plus some frit samples. Mine was $20 from mountain glass.

EDIT: Forgot to mention each rod is labeled too.

Last edited by GlassAlias; 2013-02-01 at 4:10am.
Old 2013-02-01, 12:07am

When I sell the NS shorts I usually send one of their charts (If I remember)
because they have a picture of the rod and a picture of what it looks like
after its heated.. Momka's chart is good but it doesn't show the rod and like Stormy
weather and violet melody are light green rods yet beautiful purples and blues.

Old 2013-02-01, 2:37pm

Northstar has a Large and Small Sample. The small is comparable to the GA one. It has 6" rods, all labeled, comes with a color chart and working tips. Very worth it