Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-12-19, 9:01am

Default I Need a good white!!

Can someone recommend some really good white? I'm almost out of this annoying one I have, it either blisters up fiercely or goes clear on me depending on the temperature and O2? Its like disarming a bomb working with it. I'm not the most experienced and when I was making these Jack Skeleton pieces for a friend I had to use this white alot. I now have a half a dozen requests for this lil novelty piece, which I still don't think is coming out so great, and I want to concentrate on the shape and black color placement not worry about half its face blistering away, or going clear in spots. The pic below is the only one I have left to show you, its nose and eyes are off a lil so I kept it for aquarium gravel. Can anyone help?
Old 2015-12-19, 10:38am

If you're working with 104, CiM's Peace is very good. It's a little stiffer than most whites, which means it's less likely to slop out of control, and it doesn't discolor easily. Frantzartglass.com often has sales that include it, which is nice. Check it out!
Old 2015-12-19, 2:54pm
Loving learning

Sorry, I didn't notice I was in the boro room,.

Last edited by Eileen; 2015-12-19 at 9:20pm.
Old 2015-12-19, 8:28pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm not clear which (boro?) white you are using now, but I have heard some of the boro whites (like China white) need to be mixed first. I don't know what happens when you don't but that might explain the effects you have. There were some threads on that a while ago. Should be on the search function, maybe under China white as I think it came up with that.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-12-20, 7:19am

Second vote for China White and it does need to be mixed a bit to get the bubbles out. It's an excellent white.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2015-12-20, 11:48am

China white for sure. Mix it up really well and it's really smooth, doesn't bubble and holds up in implosions.

Old 2015-12-20, 5:20pm

Parramore - best white out there
Old 2015-12-20, 11:28pm

I've had my best luck with TAG's WhiteOut. Work building your gather up in the outer part of the flame be a little careful in the beginning when getting up to temperature. But once you have a little bit of a gather up to temp and don't abuse it to close to the flame it works great. I've had lots of frustration with Sno white and when i tried whiteout I just took my time a little bit more with the color and it worked very smoothly! I haven't tried the China white mix, but that might be worth a shot too!
Old 2015-12-21, 11:49am

I appreciate all the replies, I have a list of all the colors we've ever bought but somehow this white has slipped thru the cracks, Ive no idea what it is, thankfully I have little left, (2 rods) I will try mixing it as suggested and see how it reacts and I will research the other whites suggested before placing my order. I want to try and get some white tubing if possible for Christmas ornaments at some point in the future, so these glass suggestions should hopefully point me to that as well, thank you all.
Old 2015-12-21, 11:58am
I fart diamonds

I've never mixed China White; It's my fave. Very dense and creamy. Boro Sticks (Origins) is my other favorire white, and you definitely need to mix it. It's made from pressed powder, not crucible pulled.

Old 2015-12-21, 4:57pm

I have had severe lot related compatibility issues with China White. I use TAG whiteout which is a very similar product except with TAGs great quality control and of course its a little more expensive. Not worth working 3-4 hours on something and have it come apart after annealing. No savings there.
Old 2015-12-22, 9:38am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

The borostix 4" bars of white work really well, with essentially no boiling unless of course you blast it with a good-sized torch in a neutral to oxidizing flame. Over the years I've gotten used to working some colors about 5" - 6" back in the flame (I have a Carlisle CC torch with tanked oxy). the borostix 4" bars of white are not as dense as any of the other whites, so if you use this white to cover a dark color, more of the dark color will come through than if you use china white (Asian white) or Tag or Northstar's white, which are all denser.

The big marble used the borostix white to cover purple, and the smaller uses a denser white (Asian white or Star White (Northstar) to cover the same purple.

Old 2015-12-28, 12:00pm

I despise Northstar white. Probably my least favorite of any color to play with. Me and China White get along well. Haven't tried Boro Sticks yet.
Old 2015-12-28, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I have had severe lot related compatibility issues with China White. I use TAG whiteout which is a very similar product except with TAGs great quality control and of course its a little more expensive. Not worth working 3-4 hours on something and have it come apart after annealing. No savings there.
Same here. The first batch China White I got was perfect. Smooth, no mixing required and so dense. The next batch was check please. That was a few years ago.

Old 2015-12-28, 2:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Same here. The first batch China White I got was perfect. Smooth, no mixing required and so dense. The next batch was check please. That was a few years ago.
If you ever decide to try it again, I suggest ordering from Mountain Glass. They tend to have the best batches. I've never had any compatibility issues with any of their Chinese colors and at my Disney job, we use a TON of Chinese colors for production. They've been using Chinese colors for at least 8 years and I'm pretty sure they get it from MGA. I think MGA uses a different factory than some of the other suppliers.

Old 2015-12-29, 12:24am

Nope. I use MGA for everything and got the bad batch from them. This isnt really an unusual thing with this color shawnette. Plenty of folks have experienced this with some of the Chinese colors. Its well reported. Wish it wasnt so because its so cheap compared to others. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. I switched to TAG whiteout and havent had any issues since.
Old 2016-02-23, 6:47pm

Parramore white here, love it.