Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-08-26, 3:47am
DaveK

Default Show and tell!

Faceted…Teardrop

Here is a piece of boro and I am in the process of faceting. The original glass was imploded Mighty Moss and gold and silver fume stretched into an egg shape.

I have a bunch of marbles and stuff with surface issues I never got back to. Now to figure out how to make a bail. Any suggestions?

Video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm7YwzXn...=1qfeldxtyf440
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-08-26 at 3:56am.
Old 2018-08-26, 6:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I love looking at this thread! I still haven't hooked up to the bigger torch and the oxygen tank. Does the oxygen leak out like from tires? If so I probably need a refill!
It shouldn't. As long as the seals are good and the valve is closed ... it should keep.

Old 2018-08-26, 6:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Faceted…Teardrop

Here is a piece of boro and I am in the process of faceting. The original glass was imploded Mighty Moss and gold and silver fume stretched into an egg shape.

I have a bunch of marbles and stuff with surface issues I never got back to. Now to figure out how to make a bail. Any suggestions?

Video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm7YwzXn...=1qfeldxtyf440
Lovely. Do you want a glass bail? or a traditional metal bail. Rio has all sorts of glue on bails to showcase that beauty!!

Old 2018-08-26, 7:27am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Lovely. Do you want a glass bail? or a traditional metal bail. Rio has all sorts of glue on bails to showcase that beauty!!
Thanks. I have some of Rio’s sterling bails, like a ring with a post, but I was thinking about a wire wrap but I never have done wire wrap and don’t exactly know how to do it. I guess I could just drill a hole and glue the end of the wire into the hole...
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-08-28, 11:32am

Wow, I love all these beads. I'm just starting out with my torch. I've worked with fused glass for years and teach it at a not of profit studio in Southern California. I need to practice on the torch a LOT longer.
Old 2018-09-02, 10:53am

Quote:
Thanks. I have some of Rio’s sterling bails, like a ring with a post, but I was thinking about a wire wrap but I never have done wire wrap and don’t exactly know how to do it. I guess I could just drill a hole and glue the end of the wire into the hole...
I do some basic wire wrapping but I wouldn't wrap that beauty ... you want to showcase those facets not detract with wire. JMO

Old 2018-09-03, 6:34am
DaveK

Well, adding a glass bail, that ship has sailed. There is wire wrapping or drilling a hole and glueing a bail on it (pictured). To me, this method is kind of unsightly because the mechanics of the connection is visible. I am just soliciting any other way to present it as a pendant.

This project is on hold because it takes two weeks to obtain supplies from HIS Glassworks. Why anything that takes two weeks to ship is a mystery to me. It reminds me of “Oh Brother Where Art Thow” where he want’s to buy Dapper Dan hair jelly, LOL.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-09-19, 6:57am
DaveK

I finally got all the supplies to finish this. I am still wondering how to mount it. Drilling a hole kind of scares me.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-09-19, 9:47am

Quote:
I finally got all the supplies to finish this. I am still wondering how to mount it. Drilling a hole kind of scares me.

Brilliant job!!!

Old 2018-09-19, 4:09pm

Dave, that's so gorgeous and sparkly!

Old 2018-09-19, 7:12pm
Slogan Challenged...

Wonderful! Curious to see how you would finish it

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-09-19, 7:24pm

My mind just went to a wizards wand with a crystal in the handle...

So Beautiful!!
Old 2018-09-19, 7:40pm
Loving learning

Gorgeous! I don't know that I would even try for a bail. Just make a stand and enjoy it there.
Old 2018-09-28, 11:19pm

It has been a looonggg while, but I'm melting glass again. yea! Nothing crazy, just some beads.
Attached Images

Old 2018-09-29, 11:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
It has been a looonggg while, but I'm melting glass again. yea! Nothing crazy, just some beads.
Welcome back!

Old 2018-09-29, 9:01pm
Corgi Cult Member

Wow!!

Old 2018-10-04, 4:17pm

Quote:

Wire Wrap?
Old 2018-10-05, 6:08am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Wire Wrap?
I don’ know how I would do that without drilling a hole.

I originally thought about it as a focal bead but one of my nieces suggested putting it on the end of a wand. I am not sure that would be that marketable though.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-10-05, 2:54pm

Quote:
I don’ know how I would do that without drilling a hole.

I originally thought about it as a focal bead but one of my nieces suggested putting it on the end of a wand. I am not sure that would be that marketable though.
Thats the point of it. No drilling needed. Do a quick search on facebook. Its all over the jewelry world. Gold or silver wire is wrapped in a decorative way that creates bales or handles etc.
Old 2018-10-05, 3:39pm

Dave, You could do a "wand" as a shawl pin or hair stick. Beautiful by the way
The local yarn shop asked me if I could make them some. These are for a chunkier yarn. I'm doing some thiner for a tighter pattern with smaller gauge yarn.
Attached Images

Old 2018-10-06, 5:32am
DaveK

Quote:
Dave, You could do a "wand" as a shawl pin or hair stick. Beautiful by the way
The local yarn shop asked me if I could make them some. These are for a chunkier yarn. I'm doing some thiner for a tighter pattern with smaller gauge yarn.
Cool, are those wooden sticks?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-10-06, 10:11am

Quote:
Cool, are those wooden sticks?
yes. I used 2 part epoxy. I tried E6000, but it didn't hold well. I'm going to try a double ended knitting needle in the flame today. Could be interesting. I need some that are thinner than these. I've shaped, stained and sealed some small wooden dowels. If I can do them right on the needle it would save me a lot of time, but I like the look of wood. I did the leaf then added it to the end of a mandrel. The release didn't hold well when I tried to build directly on the mandrel with boro. I can do it with soft.

Last edited by Kare TX; 2018-10-06 at 10:14am. Reason: added more notes
Old 2018-10-06, 11:21am
DaveK

Quote:
yes. I used 2 part epoxy. I tried E6000, but it didn't hold well. I'm going to try a double ended knitting needle in the flame today. Could be interesting. I need some that are thinner than these. I've shaped, stained and sealed some small wooden dowels. If I can do them right on the needle it would save me a lot of time, but I like the look of wood. I did the leaf then added it to the end of a mandrel. The release didn't hold well when I tried to build directly on the mandrel with boro. I can do it with soft.
I took out a one acre vineyard this year but saved some of the grapevine wood for projects.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-10-09, 3:58pm

Finally made a thing after a few months of nothing good.

Old 2018-10-09, 6:54pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Nice, it looks kind of wintery. It reminds me a little of some icicles I did a few years ago.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-10-09, 7:13pm

Quote:
Nice, it looks kind of wintery. It reminds me a little of some icicles I did a few years ago.
I didn't realize it, but yes! It is kind of like making icicles. lol Thought I'd better start with clear anyway to get shape and attachments down before using color.

Old 2018-10-09, 7:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Very pretty. I like the simplicity of the clear, makes me think of a bonsai in winter.

Old 2018-10-14, 9:19am

Thanks Kare.
2 new pens.

Old 2018-10-14, 10:49am

OOOOooOO!! Yum!!
(I can attest to 3muse's lovely pens being good writing instruments as well as drop dead gorgeous)
Old 2018-10-14, 11:18am

Thank you Ms. Cake! I get so chuffed when people tell me they actually use them. lol