LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-19, 4:59pm

Default info on using oxygen concentrator

I have been hearing about using an oxygen concentrator instead of using tanks. Can anyone give me pros and cons using Oxy/concentrator vs refilling tanks. Also if oxy/concentrator is used what do I look for is purchasing one?
Old 2011-02-19, 5:11pm
honorary bead lady

What torch are you using?

Pro... once purchased no lugging tank.
Old 2011-02-20, 7:43am
Cat herder

Knowing what type of torch you have and what kind of work you do (i.e. small soft glass beads or huge boro marbles) will definitely weigh in on what kind of advice you are given.

A concentrator is perfect for a small torch (Minor, Cricket, etc.). As you get to larger torches (or trying to get a huge flame out of your small torch), you'll find that the "standard" 5 LPM oxycon just can't keep up. Lots of folks will buy a higher-output (read: expensive) oxycon, or get a second standard one and a "Y" connector to use two together.

Tanked oxygen can keep up with just about any torch. However, you will find that it runs out pretty quickly. A standard K-size tank will only last a day or two for a lot of people. At $30 for a fill (+/- depending on where you live), this gets pretty expensive quickly. A couple of months of this and you may find yourself wishing you bought an oxycon or chose a cheaper hobby.

My advice is to keep watching Craigslist for a cheap used concentrator. I hate to say it, but old people occasionally die, and the people they leave behind just want to get rid of the stuff they'll never use. That's how I got mine. If you find a good deal, you can buy it and try it out. If you can't find a good deal, you can always rent a tank from your local welding supply shop.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-02-20, 10:27am
grama punky - class junky

I have a minor and used tanks for a very short period of time...the used oxy I bought is great. No lugging and an endless supply!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.