Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2013-05-28, 5:19pm

Default Alan's Beads

As some of you know, I started lampworking because of my son Alan. He died at the age of 5 in January, after a 4 year battle with cancer. His Beads of Courage have meant a great deal to us, and it is the primary reason I decided to learn how to make the beads myself.

I hope it's ok, but since all of you donate your time, talent and materials to Beads of Courage, I thought you might like to see Alan's beads.

Alan earned approximately 1362 beads in his almost 4 years of cancer treatment. This doesn't include the many extra beads he was given by the nurses and Child Life for courage, travelling for his treatment, doing dog and music therapy, birthdays, spending Christmas in the hospital and other special events like Beads in Space and Laughter is the Best Medicine. Altogether, Alan's Beads of Courage were 98 feet long and weighed over 9 pounds.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you everyone who contributes to Beads of Courage. I know it's for the kids, but it means a lot to us parents too.

Judy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's why I'm learning to make Beads of Courage
Old 2013-05-28, 5:39pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm sorry for your loss. That is a beautiful collection. Thanks so much for sharing.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-28, 5:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

Welcome to LE. I think it is awesome that you are learning to make Lampwork beads for other BOC kids. What a fine tribute to your son.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-05-28, 7:15pm
Got Honey?

Judy: I am so very sorry to hear about your son. I don't think we really understand sometimes just how many beads these kiddos get and what they go through. It is amazing to see them! They really help journal their experience and I am so happy that you decided to learn to make them so you can contribute to BOC as well
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you for sharing yours, and Alan's, story with us!

Old 2013-05-28, 8:10pm
Echo's Mother

I am so sorry for your loss. What an awesome thing to do in memory of your son.
Old 2013-05-28, 9:47pm

I am so very sorry for the tragic loss of your precious son. I applaud you for learning how to make beads, so you can give back in a way that meant so much to you, your family & dear son. I've found that I encounter others who have been touched by the program in so many unexpected ways. I'm sending you a virtual hug for all that you've been through.
May you know the caring continues.
Best,
ginger
Old 2013-05-28, 9:54pm

You are a courageous woman. It feels so good to continue something that was so special to you and your son. I'm so very sorry he was lost to you in this life. I worked as a pediatric nurse for a number of years and always amazed at the strength parents and children have in dealing with a life threatening illness. God Bless, enjoy making the beads. It is a great and worthwhile program. I feel certain the process of making the beads will be comforting to you. I get mesmerized by the power of fire. It has such a calming effect for me. Welcome to LE.
Old 2013-05-29, 5:34am

I am very sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for sharing his story with us. I am sure that you'll receive any assistance you need in learning the art of beadmaking from our great glass community here on LE.

Robert
Old 2013-05-29, 11:22am

Judy, I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. This is a wonderful tribute to your son, both sharing his beads and learning lampworking. The picture of his strand of beads along the sidewalk and the butterfly hit me especially hard.

Whenever you have any questions about lampworking or just want to talk, don't be afraid to jump in. We're all one big happy (although sometimnes a bit crazy,) family

Hugs!

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2013-05-29, 1:23pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Wow, I don't even have the words to express the sorrow and joy of your story.
Losing your child?--unimaginable
Learning to lampwork to help other kids and parents with BOC beads? Amazing!
My heart goes out to you in sorrow and my sincere thanks in appreciation for this gift you are giving back.
Hugs to you and your family.
Ask us anything you need to know--there are many here with great tips and ideas to help you!
Smiles, Sheri

Old 2013-05-29, 1:57pm
Loving learning

Judy, my sincere sympathies, and also admiration for taking your experience with BOC and making something good happen for other children.
Old 2013-05-29, 2:52pm

I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. You have my heartfelt sympathy in your loss. I know your son lived with courage. He had to, given the awful disease he had but you, also, have courage. I admire you greatly for choosing to learn to lampwork. I have no doubt other children will be choosing beads you've made in their future. You are inspiring.

Hugs of caring and support,

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-05-29, 5:57pm

Bless you. Anytime I can help just ask.