LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-04, 8:03am
one day at a time

Default Effetre White Alabaster (alabastro) - what do I do with it?

I didn't find much in the forum search, so I had to ask to get some fresh and new answers from those of you who dared to play with this finicky glass.

Finicky I know, because it's shocky as all hell breaking loose, burns and boils easily, and is only compatible with itself. Or has the latter changed? What can I do with it? I must have 3-4 lbs of the stuff, and this has to be from a looong time ago. I got some rods from a RAOGK back in 2007-2008, but I must have bought some years before that, and I can't remember.

Ack! Just looked at Howaco's page, and there are 4 different whites! Now I'm really clueless.
Old 2013-04-04, 11:07am

The only success I've ever had with the alabastro colors is to use almost no propane and work painfully slooooooowwwwwwww.

They are beautiful if you are having a very patient day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2013-04-04, 6:33pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Not sure if you have any enamels or pixie dust, etc. Could try adding some of either to simple spacers made with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-04-04, 7:15pm
Ezzy

I don't think I have any pictures but I like using it for blowing vessels. I also like carnelian as a base for vessel beads - meaning beads shaped like vessels but really beads. I also like it and the green as base colors for florals.

Also, my experience has been that it does not like to be encased.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-04-05, 7:22am
one day at a time

Great suggestions! I have some of the gold pixie dust, plus some blue hi-light.
Old 2013-04-05, 2:12pm
The Andrea Half

Carnelian makes a wonderful base for faux boro styles of bead; it reacts beautifully with the iris gold and the handpulled brown. It and the green seem to be the stablest colors in the alabastro line, though the blue is workable.

Old 2013-04-06, 5:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

I had a lot of luck with the blues for a while, then reordered and got 1/2 lb of frit-on-a-stick. I annealed it, which made it nearly opaque but got it to behave. When I actually worked a rod, it heated up and returned to alabaster state. That was a few years ago, but I thought it was a neat discovery.

I know it sounds lame, but I really like the white for simple spacers. It's just so clean and soft looking. I think enamels would be cool, though!

Old 2013-04-18, 8:45pm
Missing presumed fed

Many years ago, I took a class with Kate Fowle (pre-Meleney). Someone asked what you do with alabastro, and Kate said, "I throw it across the room."

I have nothing useful to say, except try asking Mary Tarara. She does lovely things with alabastro.
Old 2013-04-18, 9:21pm
><>

Doesn't Rocio pair it with silver glass and do amazing things
or did I dream that?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2013-04-18, 9:59pm

I bought some of the carnelian and as a newbie I just didn't know any better. I love carnelian. I've never had a problem using it. I love the idea of pairing with Iris Gold. I'm going to try this tomorrow.
Old 2013-04-19, 9:43am
Missing presumed fed

Is there a carnelian alabastro? The only carnelian I've used is opalino, which isn't as fussy as alabastro.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:50am
one day at a time

Pixie dust! That might turn out pretty nice!