Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-11-04, 8:48pm
Corgi Cult Member

Default Photoshop CS3 - Saving for Web

I use Layers in CS3 to color adjust by bringing the white in the background back to white and sometimes I will sharpen the photo a bit. But, when I go to "save for web and devices" the photo always looks more washed out than when I was working on it. I can't figure out why. Does it combine the new layer with the background layer automatically? If so, how can I get it to only use the new adjustment layer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-05, 7:31am

Are you on a Mac? I've been having the same problem. I've searched for an answer to this question and cannot find one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-05, 1:28pm
Corgi Cult Member

Yes, I'm on a Mac. I did some more searching on the web last night and discovered it's a common problem on a Mac, now to figure out how to correct it. Sigh.....

I don't seem to have the problem on iphoto, but it's harder to get the picture under 80kg using that program, plus I can't do levels there.

Old 2009-11-05, 1:43pm

If you find an answer please share and I will do the same. I've been struggling with this for almost a year now.

Old 2009-11-05, 10:47pm
ManBearPig

I've been using Macs for years and never had that problem. Check the settings that you are saving the file with. Compression, scanning, etc. Also, flatten the image before saving it for the web. Obviously make sure you save the file in .psd format before you do that just in case. That's just good practice to do no matter what kind of image editing you are doing though.

I have always just saved the file as a .jpg (command>shift>s) instead of Save for Web (command>alt>shift>s). Don't know if that makes a difference or not though.

Old 2009-11-05, 11:17pm
make beads not war

I've always used a mac and don't have that issue either. Have you tried using the document color profile? It's under the little arrow, just to the right of the Save button. There are four options, and I usually filter between all four depending what works best.

Old 2009-11-05, 11:20pm
da General

Kathy - Melissa beat me to it!

Images show up darker on the Windows platform than the Mac (can't remember the exact gamma off hand) . . . so I do what Melissa does but instead of choosing Use Document Color Profile but select Standard Windows Color to pump up the saturation a bit.

Another little trick is to select Auto Contrast before Save for Web and Devices.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-11-06, 10:06pm

Okay, first I can't find the document color profile...help please. Secondly I am using auction zealot for my ebay...could this be the problem? The pictures I put in the gallery for Sat I saved the same way as the ones I put on AZ tonight. I didn't list the auction because the pictures were so washed out. Any suggestions? ideas? Thanks in advance.
H

Old 2009-11-06, 10:54pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks everyone. I've tried some of the suggestions to no avail, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to "flatten" the image like Cosmo suggested. What am I looking for?

If any of the ideas produce better results, I'll post a before and after.

Harriet, did your photos in the gallery turn out OK, or were they washed out too?

Old 2009-11-06, 10:59pm

No the ones in the gallery are fine and I edited them the same way. It's when I move them to the website for ebay that they loose color. On all these photos I did not save for web I choose save as. They arrived at LE intact, but when I uploaded them to Auction Zealot they lost color.

Old 2009-11-06, 11:08pm
Corgi Cult Member

Weird!

I just tried reducing size first, and then saving as a jpg, instead of using web and devise, but I didn't have luck.

Old 2009-11-06, 11:47pm

http://www.gballard.net/psd/srgbforwww.html

Okay read this. Half of it I don't understand, but at least i know that I am not imagining this. There is a problem. now finding the answer.

Old 2009-11-06, 11:59pm

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/mac_color.html
Read this too. It part of the same webpage as above

Old 2009-11-07, 10:01am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Thanks everyone. I've tried some of the suggestions to no avail, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to "flatten" the image like Cosmo suggested. What am I looking for?

If any of the ideas produce better results, I'll post a before and after.

Harriet, did your photos in the gallery turn out OK, or were they washed out too?
Layer>Flatten Image

Old 2009-11-09, 1:33pm
da General

Kathy - give me a call tomorrow and I will walk you through the steps, cool?

Just finished teaching in Tennessee and on the flight back to SF!

|
|
|
|