Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-04-08, 6:48pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Lightbulb Tutorial - How to Upload and Post Photos on LE

TUTORIAL

Uploading and posting photos on LE can sometimes be confusing, as I recently learned by helping someone out. So to help anyone else who wants it, here are these simple instructions as a tutorial. (Hopefully I've included all of the search terms that someone might use to try to find this information.)

Assuming that you already know how to upload your digital photos on to your computer, but they appear very large both in physical size on your monitor and in file size, we can use a simple photo editing program (it’s free) to change your large photos to fit the parameters of uploading and posting to LE.

The free program is called Irfanview, and it is available for free download at http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967 . This photo editing program is fast, simple, and intuitive – I have and use Photoshop, yet I always use Irfanview for quick photo editing for web posting.

First, we have to understand that there are restrictions that LE places on images to be uploaded and posted in order to manage their bandwidth, so they limit the files in two ways: 1) pixel height x pixel width, and 2) file size. You must comply with both sets of restrictions.

The first issue (pixel height x pixel width) gives you the dimensions that the photo will show up when posted on this site (LE). The second issue (file size) gives you the amount of resolution or detail that the image is exhibiting on this site (LE).

In the step by step following, you will be able to address both 1) and 2).

1) Open your image in Irfanview, choose from the "Image" drop-down menu "Resize/Resample" so that the largest dimension (whether it is height or width for your particular photo) is 640. This will give you the appropriate pixel dimensions for you to be able to post on LE, but not necessarily a small enough file size to comply -- that is why we have to go to step 2.

2) Then you go to the "File" drop-down menu and select "Save as". It will open two new boxes, one of which will be labeled "Jpeg/GIF save options" -- go to the slider bar at the top of the box that says "Save quality", and slide the bar to 75. (Choosing 75 will lower the detail/resolution of your image, resulting in a smaller file size. 75 should not compromise what we actually see when you post your photo. You may be able to use a higher value, like 90 even, and get your file small enough to comply – you just have to try and see.)

If, after the second step, you still have a file size over LE limit (jpeg limit is 78.1 KB), then you need to go back and lower the resolution until the file size is 78.1 KB or less. The great thing about Irfanview is that it shows both the pixel x pixel size AND the file size at the bottom in the grey line below the photo (when you have the program open with the photo image on it). (The first number marked "KB" is the compressed size -- it is the smaller of the two numbers.)

You should now be able to post photos at the limit size for "Manage Attachments". (The limit for "Uploaded Images Manager" is just a tiny bit larger file-size wise, at 80 KB, but the pixel x pixel limit is still 640 x 640.)

If you want to know more about resolution and compression of files, here’s a link to an article with photos that can help explain:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question289.htm

The photo editing program Irfanview can be used to do a lot more things than just resizing files. It’s great, simple software that allows you to easily crop, adjust, and even sharpen images.

Hopefully this short tutorial will help you upload and post your images on LE, and maybe let you know why sometimes a picture can be the right size “pixel-dimension-wise” but still not upload.

Last edited by sculptorgirl; 2007-08-09 at 1:55pm.
Old 2007-06-22, 2:52pm

I am going to study this carefully and become thread savvy like so many of you. Thank you so much for taking your time to help people like me. Sachiko Levin
Old 2007-07-02, 10:13pm

Thank you from me too. I tried to upload a picture for the first time the other night and did not have a clue what the pixel and file size were. I thought they were the same thing.
I may need that software you suggest also.
Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-27, 1:55pm

Yeah! I finally did it... posted a pic on LE!!! One thing... I just did this and the resize/resample is under the "image" pull down, not the "edit".

Just thought it might help someone!
Caryn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-06, 4:15pm
If you don't member,ASK!

OK. When I pull up the "save as" I only get one box, and it is for where I want to save it to. What am I doing wrong. I'm at 900.KB! Can't get it to reduce the photo for me. HELP! I have reduced the size of the picture, but not the resolution. My pics are in jpg format.

Michel & Lisa

Empty right now, but Lots of goodies coming soon!

Last edited by Waterman; 2007-08-06 at 4:36pm.
Old 2007-08-06, 7:10pm
If you don't member,ASK!

Nope! Tried again. Won't work. Great tutorial though.

Michel & Lisa

Old 2007-08-07, 10:45am
If you don't member,ASK!

Discovered how to do it using photoshop. Thanks for all the imput.

Michel & Lisa

Old 2007-08-09, 1:56pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryn View Post
Yeah! I finally did it... posted a pic on LE!!! One thing... I just did this and the resize/resample is under the "image" pull down, not the "edit".

Just thought it might help someone!
Caryn
Oh Caryn!!! THANK YOU sooo much for spotting this! I just changed it to reflect your correction! Thanks!

Old 2007-08-09, 2:06pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
OK. When I pull up the "save as" I only get one box,
Waterman, I'm really glad you figured out how to do it with Photoshop, because I have no idea why you aren't getting the second box (labeled "JPEG/GIF Save Options").

I tried a few ways to minimize or make the "JPEG/GIF Save Options" box invisible to see if I could tell you how to make it appear, but instead it closes the entire "Save As" box. (Maybe there's a version out there of Irfanview without the second box?)

Good job for figuring out how to do it with Photoshop!

Old 2007-08-29, 12:34am
Channeling Chaos

Terri-
Is there a free program you can recommend for us Mac users? I think the one you listed is for PC users. I am trying to find a simple way to resize photos to enable me to post on LE.
Thanks.

Alana
Old 2007-08-29, 8:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupltorgirl View Post
Waterman, I'm really glad you figured out how to do it with Photoshop, because I have no idea why you aren't getting the second box (labeled "JPEG/GIF Save Options").

I tried a few ways to minimize or make the "JPEG/GIF Save Options" box invisible to see if I could tell you how to make it appear, but instead it closes the entire "Save As" box. (Maybe there's a version out there of Irfanview without the second box?)

Good job for figuring out how to do it with Photoshop!
I think the JPEG/GIF save option box showed up about 3/4 versions ago (version 3.95 or so)... First time I saw it I was surprised and it was one of those "Whats this?"... moments

Irfanview version 4.00 seems to be latest....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-31, 6:48pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcha View Post
Terri-
Is there a free program you can recommend for us Mac users? I think the one you listed is for PC users. I am trying to find a simple way to resize photos to enable me to post on LE.
Thanks.

Alana
Alana, I did a quick search for "Irfanview Mac" and it returned some suggestions -- I don't know much of anything about Macs, but they suggested the shareware "GraphicConverter" ( http://www.tucows.com/preview/235590 for Classic and OSX; http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphic...verter-X.shtml for MacOS 10.4.4 or higher).

They also mentioned something called Preview, which might actually be a feature in OSX, but like I said -- I don't know Macs.

Good Luck -- and if you find one that works for you, could you please either start a new thread to tell people about it, or post in this thread that it works for Mac users -- it would help lots of people. Thanks in advance!

Old 2007-08-31, 6:49pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
I think the JPEG/GIF save option box showed up about 3/4 versions ago (version 3.95 or so)... First time I saw it I was surprised and it was one of those "Whats this?"... moments

Irfanview version 4.00 seems to be latest....

Dale
Thanks Dale -- that explains it!

Old 2010-06-06, 7:56pm

Thank you Terri for the upload info, I am still working this out.
Connie