Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-02-15, 4:00pm

Default Images using Paintshop Pro?

I see lots of tuts on photoshop is there any for paintshop pro?
Old 2007-02-15, 6:08pm
Missing presumed fed

Not really. That's the downside of using Brand X. Everything's written for Photoshop, and it's hard even to buy a decent book on PSP.

A lot of the tools are fairly similar, so you can translate the advice given for Photoshop to Paintshop. Paintshop has Levels and histograms like Photoshop, so Scott Tanner's tutorials translate pretty well once you figure out where the features are located in PSP.

If you do some Googling, you can find some info on Paintshop, if you have a specific question. It's tough, though, because people tend to abbreviate it like I just did, and most PSP references are Playstation . . .
Old 2007-02-16, 5:15am

Thanks Emily, i have both photoshop & PSP but i took photoshop off my comp because i always end up going back to PSP lol
Old 2007-02-16, 11:08am
Missing presumed fed

That's funny. I was playing with some pictures last night, using Scott's tutorial, and I'm changing my mind about how well they work with PaintShop.

I have PaintShop Pro 9, and it has tools that do the same things that the Levels tools in Photoshop do, but they don't show you histograms (most of them don't, anyway), so it feels like you're working half-blind. I was getting frustrated. I don't do much with images, and it's a long time between photo editing sessions for me, so every time I do it, I'm teaching myself from scratch.

I'm thinking about buying myself a copy of Elements. It makes me mad, because I know I have a tool that will do everything that Elements will do and more, but I don't want to invest the time that I need to train my eye to the extent that Paint Shop feels like it's going to require.

There may be more histograms in later versions of Paint Shop Pro. I think Version 9 is kind of a weird intermediate version -- it wasn't one of their big upgrades. Version X seems to have gotten a lot more stuff in it, and XI even more, but I'm not upgrading unless I can do it for ten bucks (which is how I got from 7 to 9).
Old 2007-02-16, 11:45am

I also have PSP 9, at the moment im using 7 and i think im used to it, ive been using it for a few years now, ive just put photoshop back on my pc, but it just frustrates me LOL, i keep hearing about these "elements" i take it that its an extra you have to buy?
i will just have to keep playing and see what happens...
Old 2007-02-16, 12:01pm
Missing presumed fed

No, you're good. Elements is the mini-version of Photoshop for consumers and non-professionals. It comes pre-packaged on some computers but not on mine. I guess "Photoshop Elements" is probably its full name. It has most things that a non-professional would need.
Old 2007-02-16, 4:35pm
Carpe Beadum

I have PSP 7 too, and hated what they did to ver 8, so I stayed LOL It seemed like everything I loved about 7 was changed in 8.

I can do a lot of stuff, and I know there's a ton (like masks) that I would use if I took the time to figure it out. LOL

For the most part, I think it's a good enough program to handle anything I'd want to do. Scott Tanner's instructions did help me, and I use them quite a bit with my camera.

With my scanner, I don't even need that. So I've learned that the quality of the image and what I can do with it is sometimes due to the origin of the image, not PSP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2007-02-16, 4:38pm
stacijane on Etsy

I have PSP X and I was completely lost trying to figure out how to translate the levels tutorial. The levels and histograms are completely different than in photoshop. I did find the tool for setting white balance after a lot of looking. Makes me mad - I wish I had spent my $$ on photoshop instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.