Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-25, 6:36pm

Unhappy Encasing Florals With Hothead Torch

Okay, I got down the flowers and I got the layering, however, I am struggling with the encasing, I purchased my glass from Delphi, superclear, but it seems way to stiff for encasing. So here is my questions:

When encasing on a hothead (propane), I notice that my clear glass takes FOREVER to melt down, if I turn up the flame, I torch the bead and get a DIRTY encasement. Do I need a softer glass, perhaps a Lauscha Soft Clear? Also, if anyone that works with a hothead could give me a suggestion on the flame length and approximate sweet spot, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am really struggling with this. Thanks again for everyones input?
Old 2010-10-25, 7:47pm

When I was using my HotHead, I used propylene gas in a bulk tank. Life was good. I've switched to a Minor a few years ago, but recently used my HotHead with propane. I noticed that it was burning dirty, and not as hot. I'm not sure about changing glass, (though Lauscha clear melts like butter!), but if you can deal with switching to Propylene (aka Mapp Pro at Home Depot/Lowes in a yellow cannister), I'd say it's well worth it. More expensive, but burns clean and hot. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-25, 8:42pm

In my case I changed from propylene back to propane. I personally saw better relsults with the propane. For encasing I use Lauscha and my sooty beads are no longer. )

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2010-10-25, 11:18pm

I started of with mapp gas, then the company switched out to ametylene (sp?) got so expensive but encasing florals was really easy, burned so much hotter and cleaner. So know I use propane, so much slower and I feel your pain. Usually when using clear or any transparent color I try to encase above the blue cone, maybe about 1/2 to 1 inch above. Any lower and glass will get sooty. Turning up the heat does nothing just makes more soot in my opinion.

Old 2010-10-26, 12:34am

I have used clear stringers, its much faster and easier
Old 2010-10-26, 5:59am

I feel your pain - using a hothead right now and I have basically given up on encasing until I get a proper set-up because it takes forever to melt and it gets scummy. I agree that stringers work but it's easy to get gaps as you're laying it on. I have messed with all kinds of stuff (covering ports with foil, adjusting it constantly, which changes the type of flame, turned it up, turned it down, worked way out at the tip of the flame) but it is rare when I can successfully and beautifully encase. And trying to pull goldstone stringers on a hothead makes me want to pull my hair out. I hope you find out how to encase your florals.
Old 2010-10-26, 6:06am

Smile

I am still on a HH w/ propane, and I encase everything. I use Lascha Reformlulated (the one for HH's) and I have no scumming. However, I also hold at 970 and anneal at 980, which makes all the difference. If you are using strking silver glasses, you might lose some of the effects at that temp, if they are reduction glass, then you are fine.

Don't encase white, periwinkle or lascha opaque purple, the beads will crack, probably viscosity issues. Otherwise, I have had success with all colors, even corals and reds.

I have also pulled goldstone stingers- I use the Lauscha for this as well, it's tricky getting the chunk encased- I put a glob of melted clear on the end of a mandrel, reheat, heat the end of the goldstone and push it into the glob. Then encase, melt all the way through, and pull out into a stringer. It's worked pretty well so far.

Good luck, hope this helps Laura

Last edited by nickandryan; 2010-10-26 at 6:09am.
Old 2010-10-26, 6:12am
Glass-aholic

DITTO on the clear stringers! When i was on a HH (for 10 years) I found that using stringers to encase anything was the way to go. I simply used effetre or vetro clear commercial stringers. This ensured the evenness of application.

I was using a bulk tank of propylene with my torch. I don't know what you are using, but every gas has its own sweet spot. It can be very different even between to VERY similar gasses. It took me forever to find my sweet spot when I switched from MAPP to Propylene. I mean months to really get it down... The adjustment I thought would be flawless and easy.. NOT!! lol I found a lower but steady and stable flame I could hold what what I wanted to use, and work a bit farther out.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-10-26, 7:37am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I switched off a HH to a mini CC pretty quickly but I do remember that I had the best success encasing when I used stringers. Someone on here suggested it to me at the time and it really helped, no more ashy beads! Maybe pull the clear you have now into stringers and try that?

ETA: Where's De? She encases a lot and does beautiful work on a HH. I think she uses the reformulated Lausha.

Old 2010-10-26, 7:43am
flight risk

I vote for the stringers, too. Just discovered them, and it makes encasing alot easier. I stll have trouble when I have to encase with a disk of clear (like when melting dots out to stripes)- it just takes FOREVER and never seems to round out. But for basic encasing, stringers are great!

Old 2010-10-26, 9:17am
geekitude on two wheels

I don't work a hothead, but i've found effetre commercial clear stringer to be junk - maybe different from batch to batch, but i've never gotten anything but garbage. Lauscha lady sells 2-4 mm clear that would probably give you a nicer finish - http://www.theglassshoppestudio.com/...mart&Itemid=15
Old 2010-10-26, 1:10pm

Thanks everyone, I do have the effetre commercial glass, I have ordered some Lauscha and it should be here by the end of the week. I have a problem getting Mapp gas in my area without have to go out and buy a 10 dollar canaster. I know that that burns hotter and clearer. I want to get it in bulk. Please keep the advise coming, it is helping alot.
Old 2010-10-26, 1:28pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Lauscha Soft Clear - I've been on a HotHead for about 9 years now and it's the only clear I can encase with without problems.

Old 2010-10-26, 2:24pm

Man, I gotta get some Lauscha - I've been using Effetre and Vetrofond and I'm always so unhappy I want to throw the rods out the window. Thanks for the tip as well!
Old 2010-10-26, 5:33pm

Emilyferraro,
I can not wait to get my Glass, I got it from glassdaddy, if anyone knows who else sells it that would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my next question, what is a good quality glass that works good on a hothead?
Thanks to all for the great advise and help.
Jay
Old 2010-10-26, 5:35pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Vetrofond is especially nice on the HotHead.

Old 2010-10-26, 5:46pm

Thanks Naos,
I will order some this week, I am finding that I have some real stiff glass that is coa 104 but boy is it STIFF. Thanks
Old 2010-10-27, 5:45am

Jay - do you have CiM? I love that stuff but I find the stiffness to be an issue at times. The colors are so beautiful though - I plan on increasing my stock of it.
Old 2010-10-27, 8:46am

Emily, I do not know what you mean by CiM. Sorry, still realativly new, If the colors are great it would be worth looking into. Thanks Much

Jay
Old 2010-10-27, 10:34am

Cim is creation is messy, another line of 104 colors.

Old 2010-10-27, 11:02am

Thanks Milkala, I will look it up. Thanks to all and please keep the advise coming
Old 2010-10-27, 11:13am
Mary Lockwood

I wrote an article for Wet Canvas about 5 or 6 years ago about encasing with stringers. I was on a hot head torch at the time so maybe you'll find it helpful. Here is a link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/24464/484/index.php

~~Mary

Old 2010-10-27, 5:10pm

I love CIM glass because it is alittle stiffer and doesn't get "away out control" as easy.
As for commercial stringers being not so good, that maybe but I try to be diligent in making sure the clear is really clean and my HH isn't too hot. I had more trouble with the scum/ film with the clear rods partly because I think I would get impatient and turn up the flame. Been much happier since I started using stringers. A suggestion I think I did read on here somewhere, very well could have been Mary's article.
Lauscha comes in a size between stringer and rod doesn't it?

Last edited by dianeconroy; 2010-10-27 at 5:13pm.
Old 2010-10-27, 7:27pm

Thanks again all, you are all so great!!
Old 2010-10-28, 8:30am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I was going to suggest the method Mary linked in her fab tutorial. Round the world encasing. Works great.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2010-10-28, 3:53pm

Jay - I love CiM - I started with Vetrofond and Effetre but have found myself gravitating to Messy Color. The colors are so vibrant and fun (and like someone said earlier - stiffer). And they have fantastic names. I hope you get the chance to try some out in the near future.
Old 2010-10-28, 6:32pm

Thanks Much,
I have been doing this four four weeks and have put in 100s of hours, I would never have advanced so quickly without everyones curtious help. I think you are all great!!!
JAY
Old 2010-10-29, 4:56am
Glass-aholic

...addict....

welcome to the meeting hi.. my name is jaci, and Im a glassaholic.........

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: