Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-08-11, 8:10am

These look awsome. thanks Jamie Lynne for sharing this tut. I'd try it but you don't have any murrini for sale at the moment. Get on it girl.
Old 2011-08-11, 8:49am
Tweedle Dumb

I will aim to have some more available by the end of the week. I'm glad you guys like it. It's so stupid simple, there is nothing to them, and they sell so well. I had to share. They are my brain dead beads. When I don't have my mojo, I make those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-08-11, 7:30pm

Are you saying we are brain dead?
I have had tons of SG and it just doesn't work for me. Kinda like Raku and Bec.
Old 2011-08-11, 7:57pm

So true Pat. So true.

Old 2011-08-11, 8:24pm
Tweedle Dumb

Well.... Honestly?....

No, not in that sense. More in a "must make beads, don't feel like makin beads, these beads turn out 99% of the time and sell 100% of the time, I shall make them." kinda way.

Once you get the hang of them they become a tiny bit addicting.

Old 2011-08-12, 11:48am
Tweedle Dumb

They are ready to go. Here are some beads from the newest batch.

Old 2011-08-13, 7:56am

Aw thanks Jamie. Got some. Yesterday I tried a bhb with DH murrini and another one and neither came out worth a crap!
Old 2011-08-13, 9:10am
Tweedle Dumb

Thank you Pat! I'll get them out on Monday for you.

Old 2011-08-14, 5:13pm

These are the two I made with other stuff.

The first is FireLotus TAG over black which seemed to swallow it up
The second is with DH murrini and it got swallowed also. Ick.

Last edited by Pat; 2011-09-28 at 12:06pm.
Old 2011-08-14, 5:37pm
Tweedle Dumb

Are you using regular Effetre black, Pat? That is what I use, seems if I use any of the dense blacks they get swallowed.

Also are those small holed beads? I couldn't get mine to slip around the bead right on a smaller mandrel, but those look like you got some good color and good shape out of the murrini. I don't see ick at all.

Old 2011-08-14, 7:56pm

I think I used Hades. I think I remember that it likes to swallow stuff up. I just forgot. they are large holes but I tried to keep them smaller, otherwise they seem to get huge. Next week I'll try again if it's not 100 degrees here. LOL
Old 2011-08-14, 8:49pm

Hi Jamie, just purchased your striking murrini. I have been wanting to try murrini for awhile and your post motivated me. Wish me luck!

Sometimes a stranger brings great meaning to your life....
Old 2011-08-15, 11:10am
Tweedle Dumb

Super! Thank you! I can't wait to see what you can do with them.

Old 2011-08-17, 7:25pm

Geeze are you kidding me. I think I ordered on mon and today (wed) I received them. Whoo hoo. tomorrow no friggin dr appnt and I'm trying these babies out. Thanks JL
Old 2011-08-19, 12:30pm
Tweedle Dumb

Can't wait to see what you get Pat!

Old 2011-08-27, 7:03am
Loving learning

Jamie Lynne, I just pulled my first bead made on a large hollow mandrel out of the kiln, and I tried your murrini on it (that I got in a give away). It didn't come out like yours, but I see promise, and just ordered some more to try try again! Thanks so much for the instructions, as I'm feeling my way with striking glass. I'm not really getting the "watching the colors develop" part yet, but I'm working on it

I posted this in the newbie thread, but I'll put it here too. This is the 1st time I've used a larger size mandrel, & I think I used toooo big a mandrel for the murrini, I think it's about 5/16ths inch, is that too big? I know it's wonky.

Old 2011-08-27, 8:01am
Tweedle Dumb

OOOOO! Good job Eileen! I don't see wonky at all, and it looks like you got good ends too! Whoot! It looks like you are on the right path for sure, you even got some good color! Just because it doesn't look like mine doesn't mean squat. You did a fabulous job.

I don't have a 5/16 mandrel or I would try it out for ya. I use 3/16. Really let them go around that mandrel, I rarely over-do the gravity swirl part. If you over do it they turn into V's like post #18 here. Really let them go at least once so you can see where too far is.

Thanks for posting your results! Great job!

Old 2011-08-27, 8:21am
Loving learning

I'll try it again with smaller mandrels next time. I couldn't really get this to travel around, I guess not enough glass in comparison to the size or something. I'd have to ask my physics loving sons, LOL.
I do have some left from what you sent in the give away too, so I will be able to try, try again if I get out there before my order comes..

PS. It's wonky, just not from that angle, LOL. I'm going to wear it to the movie today anyway I think. My niece's birthday, and she wants to see The Help.
Old 2011-08-27, 10:11am
Tweedle Dumb

Sounds like heaps of fun. I want to see that one too, but I'll have to wait for the DVD. Not so sure the kids would enjoy it.

Old 2011-08-27, 3:38pm
Loving learning

There were a few places I was mopping my eyes with the cloth handles of my purse.
Old 2011-08-27, 7:24pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh, man, I thought it was more of a light hearted comedy, maybe I won't see it.

Old 2011-08-27, 7:26pm
Loving learning

Lots of funny parts, but lots of showing up the bigotry too, and a few sad moments.
Old 2011-08-27, 7:27pm

Gorgeous!
Old 2011-09-04, 6:26am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Awesome, Thank you! One (stupid) question. I didn't realize that you could strike silver glass after you encased it with clear. I get to play today at the torch, so I will see what happens because that might be whey some of my recent experiments with encased silver glass come out, well.....washed out?

Old 2011-09-04, 7:58am

I think, with the striking glass, its the heat and not the chemistry of the flame that counts (anyone feel free to correct me since I am still very new to striking glass).

Its the heating to super hot, then cooling, then re introducing the heat that gives it the color so if that theory is correct, having it encased in clear would make no difference in how it strikes, its the heat that does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCatie View Post
Awesome, Thank you! One (stupid) question. I didn't realize that you could strike silver glass after you encased it with clear. I get to play today at the torch, so I will see what happens because that might be whey some of my recent experiments with encased silver glass come out, well.....washed out?

Old 2011-09-04, 8:05am
Tweedle Dumb

Catie, you can strike after an encasement, you can not reduce after an encasement.

It's hard to put into words. I super heat and strike after the encasement because I prefer brighter colors, and I work very hot. You can also super heat/cool then encase and then work far out in the flame to strike your initial super heat. If you get it too hot again, you start the process of growing the crystals over. I use that technique (working with the initial super heat) if I am spot/dot encasing, or in any instance where you would lose your form if you super heated again.

It sounds confusing, but once you get it, it's simple.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2011-09-04 at 8:18am.
Old 2011-09-04, 4:03pm
Formerly NurseKatie :)

I get it, striking you can do after encasement and but no reducing......makes sense! Thank you!

Old 2011-09-05, 1:52pm
Tweedle Dumb

you got it Catie.

I've got some beads from the latest batch.

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2011-09-05 at 1:56pm.
Old 2011-09-05, 3:24pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Awwww.... thanks Jamie!

Old 2011-09-05, 4:48pm
Tweedle Dumb

See what you can learn if you come out to the potty every now and then, Chris?