LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-23, 6:57am

Default Stabilizing Techniques

Was wondering how you stabilize your arms/wrists while decorating a bead?

I clamp my elbows to the side of my body...but it doesn't always work if I'm on a different height torch.

Deanna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-23, 6:58am

i rest on my torch mounted marver when i need to, hold my breath sometimes too.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-23, 7:35am

I started like everyone with my elbows in the air. Then hubby made a pair of armrests for me based on Jim Smircich's design.

Then I got the Creation Station. WOW. I only use the wrist rests (say THAT 5 times fast) when applying lots of dots but for the most part, now I work with my elbows firmly planted on the little wings that stick out from the base. I keep my chair LOW (I really just need a taller table, LOL) so that I'm close to eye level with my work area in the flame.

Old 2007-04-23, 7:39am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I started with tucking elbows tight into my sides and using the torch mount marver....but wasn't doing anything except having my neck & shoulders hurt and my hand start tingling.....bought a Creation Station.....the world is a much better place!

Old 2007-04-23, 10:02am

My husband made some prototypes that you can see here linked from post 27. Other stabilizers are listed here as well. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48344

I also like the looks of the ones from Bearfoot arts. Great swivel action, no clamps (so they're really portable). The video shows them in use.
http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=51 hand stabilizers are about halfway down. I had a magnetic base put on my work surface so I can get these some day.

Last edited by LyndaJ; 2007-04-23 at 10:04am.
Old 2007-04-23, 2:27pm

I use the Creation Station, too. I like that the wrist rests swivel so you can get really close to the flame if you need to. And I try to keep my elbows on the 'wings'. I have to be very careful with ergonomics and this keeps me in a position that won't hurt my shoulder. I also rest my hand on the torch-mounted marver sometimes.
Old 2007-04-23, 7:55pm
Life is change. Love it

Creation Station for me too

Old 2007-04-24, 6:18am

I have creation stations in my classroom studio...they work for half of the students like a dream.

The other half I give socks filled with corn as beanbags--but neither is working for me as well as I think it should.

Doesn't the torch marver get too hot?

Deanna

Old 2007-04-24, 12:53pm
ManBearPig

I do it Brad Pearson-style. I saw him do it at BeadFest a while back and it looked interesting. I tried it and it worked.

A Creation Station won't work for me. Making things off mandrel, there are so many times I'm working at all different angles that a Creation Station, or any other kind of arm rests, would get in the way.

Old 2007-04-24, 4:09pm
Floral Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I do it Brad Pearson-style. I saw him do it at BeadFest a while back and it looked interesting. I tried it and it worked.

A Creation Station won't work for me. Making things off mandrel, there are so many times I'm working at all different angles that a Creation Station, or any other kind of arm rests, would get in the way.
More info = yay! (By which I mean - Could you please explain the Bran Pearson technique? That would be awesome!)

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2007-04-25 at 10:01am. Reason: I make no sense sometimes.
Old 2007-04-25, 8:54am

how does he do it?
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-03-08, 1:48pm
ninja thread killer

Yeah, what's Brad Pearson-style?
Old 2009-03-08, 2:28pm
Ad astra per aspera

I rely on my Creation Station. I also rely on the ends of my mandrels. Making beads in the middle of the mandrel helps so very much, especially when doing lots of dots or raking.

Old 2009-03-08, 5:32pm
k Grace Richard Designs

I love my Bearfoot Art arm thing-a-ma-jigs. I take them to classes. I also have the Creation Station. The BA ones sit right next to them so if I need a break, I switch back to the CS. Keeps me awake! Karen
Old 2009-03-08, 5:46pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use oxygen bottle tops - just the right height for GTT torches, Minor's and mega minors - to brace my wrists for detail work.

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-03-08, 8:29pm

creation station!!! I make sure that i am down level with the torch and not looking down, that hurts my neck. i love my creation station
steph
Old 2009-03-09, 7:28am

Bearfoot Arts arm rests! I have one of the small and one medium. I like that they stick to my worktop and I can move them away if I don't feel like using them. I prefer resting my forearms on the support instead of leaning on my elbows because I have a tendancy to slouch when I do and then I get that old wrinkled feeling and pinched nerves (tingly fingers). I have used the C.S. and it is okay but I like the flexibility of the BA arm rests better.

Sals
Old 2009-03-09, 9:10am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keewin View Post
Yeah, what's Brad Pearson-style?

I've taken a class with Brad but I don't remember how he did it - maybe he'll stop by and tell us.
Old 2009-03-09, 11:16am
Isinglass Design

That would be nice of him. I don't know what that is either. I've tried a creation station, but it wasn't for me. I'm getting a bit older and crampier, so I suppose I should try and figure out something! Right now it's just elbows to the side or some contortion thereof!

Laurie
Old 2009-03-09, 11:29am
Never give up

My Son made these for me, It really helps. He is such a handly guy to have around.

Old 2009-03-09, 12:10pm

I adjust my chair low so I'm closer to eye level with the torch & rest my elbows on the table.
Old 2009-03-09, 12:43pm
Critter Mom

I also use the Creation Station. I have essential tremors and these supports help a lot.

Old 2009-03-09, 8:21pm

I like being over what I'm working on. I sit on a bar stool, with my feet propped on a shelf under my work surface, and rest my elbows on my knees. I suppose that could be why my dot placement sucks!
Old 2009-03-09, 8:30pm

That sounds really uncomfortable to me and not really good ergonomically. Does you neck ever hurt? I think you need to readjust your positioning and have something solid in which to rest on, that might help with your dot placement but also if you are someone level it helps you not to tax your neck and that bone in the back of your neck that sticks out, ouch!!!
steph
Old 2009-03-09, 9:02pm
balanced but asymmetrical

toilet paper rolls on end, wrapped in aluminum foil

Old 2009-03-10, 7:23pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love the black suede beanbags that Blue Moon Glassworks in Austin sells to go with the Creation Station. I have to constantly guard against my tendency to work too close to the torch head. Also, I brace the mandrel tip on the torch marver to poke florals and eye beads, etc.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-03-10, 7:31pm

I use various size 4" PVC with a bean bag. Start with 6" tall PVC pipes and try that, I also have larger and smaller. My bean bags are actually pinto beans in retired socks. Cheap and effective.

If worse comes to worse, I can eat my arm rests. Did I mention I use rice in a container to hold my prepared mandrels.

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/cane/12.jpg

Steve

Last edited by SteveWright; 2009-03-10 at 7:38pm. Reason: added link to photo
Old 2009-03-11, 3:37am
"Twirl that Honey round".

Rather then look for an especially low chairwhich would put my legs splayed out in front of me(uncomfortable in the long run) I sat in my wheeled office chair,measured where my elbows would rest comfortably on the edge then built the marble slabbed table to that heigth. Two elbow pads of sheepskin fixed to the table and my arms and wrists and elbows never get tired,I'm comfortably close to the torch to work. The pads flip up to shake out any cold glass particles and any Hot ones tell me instantly they are there(stinky extremus).
Not building a table at this time? Think about how you can raise or lower the table or chair to adjust the heigth to what is comfortable for the human,not whats comfortable for the furniture. TIM
Old 2009-09-01, 5:25pm

Thumbs up New Hand Stabilizers! The Bearfoot Articulator

It seemed appropriate that I could let ya'll know of a new product we introduced today that pertains directly to this thread. Not trying to over-market, just share.

Here is the thread. Hope this link works. If not, let me know if you can or you can find the post in the Sale Rack.

Thanks!
Monica

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...64#post2648464