No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-19, 6:45am

Red face what do you do to keep warm?

HI there,
it's getting colder and colder outside, and since I play in the garage with my beads I feel like a frostsicle at times.
I am thinking of getting some sort of heater. It is not plausible to warm the whole garage....too leaky (plus fumes etc). I am curious what some of you guys had success with? Please share!
Thanks,
Tanja
Old 2009-11-19, 6:58am
I fart diamonds

Live in Florida.

(heheheehhe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-19, 6:59am
Queen Bee

I'm in the garage in CT T and it gets freezing - I bought a vertical radiant heater at Target. I put it under my bench and it heats just me, not the garage. Works pretty good.........except for the time in January where it was below zero and I stayed out too long......got exposure that time.....

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2009-11-19, 6:59am

Default hahaha

cute!
Watch out I might move in with you !

hehehe

Tanja
Old 2009-11-19, 7:00am
I fart diamonds

Ok. seriously, you can "curtain" off your work area and use a space heater. It will keep the area warm and you wont need to heat the entire garage.

Old 2009-11-19, 7:00am
In search of her path....

get a lil heater for your feet raise your feet off the cold floor perhaps use a heating pad under your feet and your bum and layer layer layer

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-11-19, 7:07am

what kind of heater are you using?
Electric or of propane? Radaint? etc...

I am not sure what to buy..
Old 2009-11-19, 7:19am

I use a electric verticle radiant heater. It has a fan and you can set the temperature via a remote comtrol. It works very well in the basement. Unless you have the garage door open, I would expect something like that would work there too. When I'm in the basement, I leave the door open for make-up air though, but that's not nearly like a garage door.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-19, 8:09am
Katherine

This is starting to sound good. What about your mandrels, bead release, tools and glass?

Old 2009-11-19, 8:14am
Lampworkaholic!

I wear lots of layers of clothes, a floppy wool hat and fingerless gloves. Space heater at my feet. But some nights my nose just gets too cold to work.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-19, 8:35am

I'm in Maryland also' and I work in my garage, last night my bead release kept "exploding" when I tried to flame dry! I don't know if it was because of the cold or something else. So,..I brought the mandrels and release indoors to coat and air-dry. Hopefully this will help. I also put my glass rods on top of my Chilipepper to warm just a bit before using. I think this helped reduce the thermal shock.

Oh, I also dressed in layers! Not so cold yet, so this worked for now!
Old 2009-11-19, 8:46am
uncouthful cats

I work outside in the carport &, while it doesn't get as cold as most of you guys, it still gets cold enough! My very 1st layer is a wool underwear shirt or camisole. Much warmer than silk, & they make them so they're not itchy. I'd be the 1st to squirm & itch like a dog with fleas if they were itchy!

I'm gonna have to look into heaters 'cuz my legs get really cold.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-11-19, 8:53am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use this heater
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

and LOVE it. It is a small radiant dish that concentrates the heat. I have it at the outer edge of my table pointing toward me and it keep my legs, feet and lap nice and toasty. I wear warm layers up top and of course, they are close to the torch, so they stay fairly warm anyway.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-19, 8:55am

I work in my garage in Kansas. Gets plenty cold (and hot in the summer I have the garage door open when I work. Have a space heater (electric) under my bench, so that warms my feet, which are usually my biggest problem. Wear cotton sweatshirts and wool socks. The kiln is about 12 inches away, so that helps, and working on boro always warms things up too. I have a rod-warmer that I use in really cold weather, since the glass is stored in the garage as well. Keep my bead release indoors. If I need extra help, I put a load in my big JenKen to fuse...
Old 2009-11-19, 9:12am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Play with a big torch. T-shirt is no problem then

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-19, 9:19am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I nuke a rice bag and stick it down my shirt, and wear lots of fleece layers.
Wrap your neck up for sure.
I have a few pair of pants too, fleece/jogging pants, stretchy stuff.
winter socks
my fingertips stay warm from the torch.

My chihuahua wont' touch me for hours after I torch, til i warm up a bit.

Old 2009-11-19, 9:24am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Live in Florida.

(heheheehhe)
and move your sh*t inside...

The hobby shed gets quite cold on occasion though, when I was out there, and I learned that if my head and my feet were warm, so was I. Heater at my feet, cap on my head; voila.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-11-19, 10:01am

I work in my detached garage, and even here in California it can get cold! I find if I wear wool socks, snow boots, a warm jacket and a knit hat that it helps; the only other issue I had was my hands. But those little hand warmers in the pockets are great - if my hands get cold I stick them in the pockets and it takes the chill away.

Someday I'll be able to move the studio inside, but for now I'm happy I came up with this solution. Where there's a will, there's a way.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-11-19, 10:56am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

We have a vertical or tower space heater which I set next to me.

I also have a nice collection of knee socks, and I have a ratty wool sweater which doesn't care if hot glass hits it.

Last summer I got a "Good n Hot" curling iron warmer from Sally Beauty supply to warm rods and twisties. Wow, does that thing put out the heat!

Old 2009-11-19, 11:09am
Happy Beadmaker!

I live in FL so not much of a problem here!

Just teasing!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2009-11-19, 11:21am
Dangerous Woman

I have a kerosene (sp) heater in the garage. It can get up to 80+ degrees. When It does I open the door and let some heat into the house. It does take a little bit to get warmed up so I have a small electric heater by my feet. If it isn't cold enough for the the big heater I just use the little one.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-19, 11:54am
Looking for my waistline

I'm with Squidly. Those parabolic dish heaters are fantastic! I bought one for my mom last year. She usually heats her house using a woodstove in the basement. Now she can heat the whole front half of the upstairs with just one of them and not have to have such a big fire in her woodstove. Of course, she's used to her drafty old house in the winter, so her version of warm and yours may be a tad different. Mom liked hers so much, she asked us to pick up another one of the parabolic heaters for her bedroom this year.
Old 2009-11-19, 1:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
This is starting to sound good. What about your mandrels, bead release, tools and glass?
Biggest challenge is glass being shocky, for me. Thanks to the great folks here, I now preheat on top of my kiln. Works like a charm. For me, layers and definitely a hat.

Hi, Char!

Old 2009-11-19, 6:00pm
Dangerous Woman

Parabolic dish heaters. I never heard of those. How big are they? Do they use a lot of electricity?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-19, 6:10pm
Looking for my waistline

The dish is about 18" across, maybe 20". They use very little electricity.
Old 2009-11-19, 6:17pm

I'm torching in a workshop,in MA,have plenty of nights in the teens or below. I tried varius heaters, but found the most relief using an old waterbed heater under a piece of cement board. The heat would radiate through the cement and run right up my legs. If I can keep the feet warm, I can last a lot longer out there.
Old 2009-11-19, 7:08pm
Looking for my waistline

That's a great idea!
Old 2009-11-20, 3:03pm

I feel so sorry for those of you in such cold areas!! Then my summer comes around and I dont' feel sorry anymore! No, seriously yall have some great ideas!

Old 2009-11-20, 3:11pm
product of the universe

My studio has no heat so I use a radiant heater, and when it gets real cold i crank up the torch and make bigger stuff.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-20, 6:48pm
addicted to dichro

I occasionaly used a propane heater when I had my studio in the workshop. I also found this old L.L.Bean down jacket from the 80's that was my cousin's and the ends of the sleeves were stretchy and tight around the wrists so they didn't get in the way of my beadmaking unlike my more modern winter coats. I still wear that coat.