No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-17, 7:24pm
I think my raku is broken

Default Transparent red help needed.

I'm using Moretti striking red for the first time and I need some help. The red looks more like muddy brown. Is it possible to overstrike it?

I'm using a hot head on bulk propane and I'm not annealing them, just cooling in a fiber blanket.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-17, 7:33pm

Since you are on a hothead I would try and work it as cool as possible.
I heat it till clear and work it really hot and then strike at the end. I don't know if that is possible on a hothead, but if you can that is how I would do it.

Amy

Old 2010-01-17, 8:10pm

When working with red and getting muddy brown, you are working too hot. Move the glass about an inch or so further out into the flame. You may need to go further but start with moving it an inch out. Work it slower and cooler.

When done, take bead out of flame and let it cool a bit. Bring it back into the outer flames to warm it back up and strike it.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-01-17, 10:53pm
He can do the origami

Maybe This Thread can help you, it has some good info about striking red.

Otter
Old 2010-01-18, 5:40am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I work on a HH and love working with both the striking red and orange. I usually work with the torch on a low setting (just enough to melt the glass on the rod). It normally strikes as I am winding on to a rich ruby red and I find that it does not need further striking - I just shape and pop into the kiln. I use MAPP though - it may make a difference. HH's have only two speeds - slow and glacial.....this would be a setting in between those two for me! I find that if the setting is right, when I put the wrapping rod down it will also have struck on the tip to the same ruby color. Don't overwork - just enough playing with it to get the shape you're going for and stop!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-18, 6:52am
I think my raku is broken

Thanks everyone. I'm going to turn the heat down and see what I get. Fingers are crossed.

Old 2010-01-18, 8:42am
I practice alchemy!

This is another one of those glasses that I start way out on the tip of the flame and then bring it in just until I get the soda flare. Then I work it there. I'm on a hot head with bulk propane and I can get beautiful reds out of the transparent red. When you look at your reds, it is best to look at them in daylight as they are seriously affected by flourescent lighting. I was sure I had burned my last red beads until I looked at them in a room where we don't have flourescent lighting and they magically looked red again.

Celeste
Old 2010-01-18, 12:11pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
This is another one of those glasses that I start way out on the tip of the flame and then bring it in just until I get the soda flare. Then I work it there. I'm on a hot head with bulk propane and I can get beautiful reds out of the transparent red. When you look at your reds, it is best to look at them in daylight as they are seriously affected by flourescent lighting. I was sure I had burned my last red beads until I looked at them in a room where we don't have flourescent lighting and they magically looked red again.

Celeste
Hi Celeste-

Just wanted you to know this is a great tip about the soda flare. I start working closer in the longer I torch and have to remind myself... look for the flare...!

Old 2010-01-18, 6:29pm
I practice alchemy!

I do that too! I'm not sure why...

Celeste