No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-20, 11:58am

Default How do you make fan pulls?

Ok, this may be simple, but...
I want to make some without having some special kit or whatever. I just don't know how you would attach the bead to the ball chain?

Thanks,
Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-20, 12:05pm
I'm a lilac!

I make beads on 1/8" mandrels and the bead chain fits right through them... add a ball end and it's a cute, simple fan/lamp pull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-20, 1:07pm

I wirewrap whatever I'm going to use on a headpin to a little loop finding I get at the hardware store that slips onto the chain. Sorry I'm photo-challenged or I'd show you, but the hardware people should be able to help.
Old 2010-01-20, 1:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I make beads on 1/8" mandrels and the bead chain fits right through them... add a ball end and it's a cute, simple fan/lamp pull.
What is a ball end?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-20, 1:24pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I put the bead on a headpin and attach the headpin to the endpiece of a ball chain. They have these endpieces that have one end a loop and one end attaching to the chain. I get them from ballchain.com.

Old 2010-01-20, 2:02pm

Ok, I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Old 2010-01-20, 5:12pm
Lampworkaholic!

Well Lowes didn't have any ball chain that would fit through my beads (made on 3/32 mandrels). I already made the beads for my daughter's birthday, 6 of them. I wonder if the size 3 would work. I know size 2 would but ballchain.com doesn't have many choices in the size 2, or end pieces that work with that size.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-20, 6:35pm

I use these
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=34066591

Old 2010-01-20, 10:28pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
Cool. So, how do you attach the bead? A head pin seems like it would be too fragile?

Old 2010-01-21, 8:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Well Lowes didn't have any ball chain that would fit through my beads (made on 3/32 mandrels). I already made the beads for my daughter's birthday, 6 of them. I wonder if the size 3 would work. I know size 2 would but ballchain.com doesn't have many choices in the size 2, or end pieces that work with that size.
I would think that you need to know what size the chain is already on the fan and work to fit that. If the hole in your bead is too small for the appropriate size chain, you can take some sterling silver wire of the right size and heat the end to make a ball. Then cut the other end to make your loop to attach to the chain.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-21, 8:54am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I would think that you need to know what size the chain is already on the fan and work to fit that. If the hole in your bead is too small for the appropriate size chain, you can take some sterling silver wire of the right size and heat the end to make a ball. Then cut the other end to make your loop to attach to the chain.

Greg
Another cool idea, what would you do for brass finish chain?

Old 2010-01-21, 9:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

My take on this but in another thread.....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...82&postcount=2

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-01-21, 9:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Another cool idea, what would you do for brass finish chain?
?????

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-21, 9:58am
Cats & Glass!

I used to buy the most awesome findings from Shawnette (she's here on the forum). I don't know if she still makes them. It was worth it for me to buy them but if they're not available anymore, I think they're a change-a-bead type finding with a fishing swivel and ball chain. Very cool.

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2010-01-21, 10:08am

I use either a heavy gauge headpin - 20g - and wire it directly to the loop, or I use a 21-22g head pin and attach it to the loop with one or 2 heavy gauge jump rings.

Here's one I did this way

Old 2010-01-21, 10:26am
Critter Mom

So interesting...I've been wanting to try this ever since one of my customers told me she turns my kitties into fan-pulls. This is great, thanks to everyone for sharing and to Amy for asking.

Old 2010-01-21, 11:07am
state-eternal change

I bought a bunch from Karen Thomas..there are silvertone and goldtone ones - a lot of people at the shows had fun guessing what they were I say that they're a great gift for the person that has everything, or as a hostess gift, say for staying at someone's cottage.

Old 2010-01-21, 12:20pm
The Andrea Half

I use 1/4" steel mandrels that my local Ace hardware store threaded (about 1/2" down) in fine threading. I use 1/4" fine threaded nuts, about three or four of them, to make the socket, and I wrap the glass around that being careful NOT to get the glass on the tip of the mandrel. You can use an acorn cap on the top if you like, but it can be harder to remove the pull. Then use a finial-to-fan pull adapter to hang the pull. (If ANYONE has a good source for these, LMK; my source dried up!).

Here are pictures:

I want to see if I can construct pull adapters from lamp parts. You can get the brass pull chain at Ace. Assuming, of course, that you have an old-fashioned, grubby Ace that still caters to people who fix everything rather than an Ace that deals mostly with the yuppie trade.