Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-07-27, 4:35am

Default Kiln surface temperature question

Hi
I just got my new glasshive kiln (regular guy) delivered a few days ago. I got a chance to fire it up for the first time last night. I made a few test beads, then started the annealing program for 104 glass.

The max temp during the program was 950 F. I noticed the outside surface of the kiln got Very Hot. Like burn yourself hot. I don't have a way of measuring the surface temp of the outside of the kiln, but I think it would be very easy to seriously burn yourself. My question is - is this normal?

I know the kiln ramps up to a very high internal temp, so I'm not surprised that some heat escapes, even in a firebrick kiln. I guess it was just much hotter than I expected. I'm not sure if I just have unrealistic expectations, never having owned a kiln before, and this is normal operating temperature for the kiln or not.

I have the kiln sitting on a stainless steel surface on top of a cabinet. I have it away from the wall and away from any flammables, and I was planning on installing another smoke detector in the ceiling right above the kiln. Is this enough safety precaution?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(under construction...)
Old 2013-07-27, 8:01pm
I'm meeeeelting

The top of my kiln gets pretty warm, but the handles stay cool. Looks like you're taking the proper safety precautions to me.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-07-28, 9:04am
Pugs rule

I keep my kiln near me and use the top to preheat some of the shockier rods.

Old 2013-07-28, 10:21am
honorary bead lady

Loco uses the top of hers to warm pizza!
Old 2013-07-28, 11:04am

It keeps the CoCo warm in the winter...

But your concern is valid, they do get hot, some more than others... Try to use this to your advantage.

Old 2013-07-28, 11:17am

Thanks for all the responses! I was just a little concerned bc I've never had a kiln before, and I guess I didn't expect it to get so hot on the surface. It's good to know that's normal for some kilns. I was afraid I got a faulty one or something.

That's a good idea using it to preheat rods. I will try that for sure. Not sure about pizza, lol. With my luck I'll get get flying glass for dinner!

(under construction...)
Old 2013-07-29, 5:28am
old fart

it sounds under insulated....i can lay my hand on the outside of my kiln while at temp and not get burned.....