Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2014-02-25, 4:29am
one day at a time

Default 1lb propane canister instead of BBQ tank - help please??

I need to know if I am supposed to have a special adapter to hook up a 1lb propane canister to my regulator? I want to use this small tank for the purpose of simply being a lot more portable than using a BBQ tank. It was suggested to me a while back in another post, but I don't remember if anyone had mentioned that I would be needing an adapter to do this.

Thanks for your help!
Old 2014-02-25, 5:40am
old fart

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Disp...+saver+adapter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-25, 6:48am

The disposable tanks end up being more costly fairly quick. Retail is around 3.50 each in my area.
There are a few sizes between the 1lb disposable tanks and the 20lb tanks that are refillable though you may need to order them through the hardware or a welding supply shop.
these 5&10 lbs tanks are easier for demos and are less likely to freeze up like the small 1lb tanks do. Working in a hothead I don't need a regulator just the hose from Colman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-25, 5:54pm
one day at a time

Thanks to both of you! I didn't know there were tanks larger than the 1lb size.
Old 2014-02-27, 1:19pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Most larger camping outfitters have 5 and 10 pound LP tanks. Check with places like Gander Mountain, Dicks Sporting goods and the like.
Old 2014-02-28, 4:51am
one day at a time

They have them locally at the campers supply store, so now all I have to do is find a place that will fill it.
Old 2014-02-28, 5:45am
old fart

even though it is more expensive to use small 1 pound tanks, there are situations where they are the best option....if you live in an apartment, or if you are torching in a room where it is not possible to have a natural gas connection, or have a OUTSIDE large propane tank, then a small tank is your best option.....also if you are doing demos at a location other than your studio, the smaller tanks make it easy to alay the fears of the fire officials.

Old 2014-03-01, 5:34am
one day at a time

The 1lb MAPP canisters would last about 8-9 hours of torch time with the Hothead. So I imagine the 1lb propane canisters would last a lot longer. Only 5psi vs. full tank pressure sounds economical enough to make me happy!

I need this because if I am going to work outdoors on a carport or patio, I'm still going to have to bring everything back inside when I'm done. I don't want to be dragging a BBQ tank back in.
Old 2014-03-01, 10:41am
Salt Box Beads

The one pound canisters last me 3-4 hours tops with a HH. I set them into a PVC canister type holder my husband made me that fits into my workbench half full of water so they never freeze up, although they do cool down a bit.
I also have a cute little 3pd. BBQ style tank I purchased at an RV supply and I have it filled at RV parks. They fill tanks all of the time so they know what they are doing and are careful not to overfill when I ask.

P.S. another great tip I learned here on LE is to weigh each 1 lb. can before starting so if you need to know exactly how much is left just weigh it again. I weigh them, write the total on the side with a sharpie and then when I quit for the day I weigh it again ( I always weigh them with my HH attached) and I know how exactly much I have left and about how much time is left with that canister. I also write the new weight on the side of the canister. This is a huge help in case I do not want to switch out canisters in my next session but need to work straight through a session with a full canister because I am doing a large involved gather etc. If I am just doing small bead sets or playing I use up the canisters marked half full or less. There is nothing that says you have to use a canister from beginning to end before starting another one unless you need or want to.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2014-03-02 at 2:43pm.
Old 2014-03-01, 6:23pm
one day at a time

Thanks!