Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-03-03, 6:41am

Location: Liechtenstein (a tiny country located in Europe, next to Switzerland)
Default Tools for left handed lamp workers needed!!

Hello together,

I am a newbie regarding lampwork. I've already set um my workbench except of the ventilation.
Now I have a question. I'm left handed. I found that most of the tools are only available for right handers. Especially those brass shapers. Does anybody now a company that makes tools for lefties like me? I'm from Europe. Over here there is no company at all taking care about left handers
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-03, 8:01am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'm left handed as well but to me lampworking tools are not like scissors (well, except the scissors
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) and are interchangeable. I keep presses on the left side of my bench and just turn them whichever way works best for me.

By brass shaper do you mean a stump shaper? A brass paddle on a stick? I use one and I've never found the orientation of the tool to be a problem.

If you get to the point that you want a specific tool there are people here in the States who would make you one to order I'm sure.

Just speaking from my own experience if you are a newbie I wouldn't buy a lot of tools yet, just some tweezers and a flat graphite paddle. Spend your money on practice glass because it will take you at least a year (unless you are insanely gifted like some people are, I was not) to get to know the glass.

HTH!
It's good to see another glass lefty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-03, 8:37am

Thank you very much dear Astrid!! What I was looking for is something like a stump shaper. I found that all of them I've seen in the stores are shaped in a way that only right handers can use them.
You are right. I'll first start to practise getting use to the glass.
The only shaping tool that I've bought is this one.
At the moment I have an eye infection, so I couldn't use my newly setup working bench at all up to now

But I think this tool might be okay. What do you think?

Old 2011-03-03, 8:51am
just another glass addict

Get yourself a plain graphite marver. Something around the 2"x3" size. I still use that tool the most, and I think it came in my beginner kit 6 years ago.

For me, as a lefty who is somewhat ambidextrous, I find the biggest problem I have with tools is they are never on the side of the table I want them on. Sometimes I think I need two pairs of tweezers and two water bowls. I guess I use tools in both hands.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2011-03-03, 9:25am
I'm meeeeelting

I believe the tool in your picture is aluminum. It gets hot quickly. There are better options out there.

I'm a lefty and haven't had too many problems with tools. I'd suggest the following as a starting point: a graphite marver for shaping, a razor blade tool for straightening stringer lines (I like the chisel blade a lot), a tungsten pick for poking and dragging, tweezers for grabbing glass and pulling stringer, glass nippers and a mashing tool (or you can use your graphite marver and a torch mounted marver together to flatten beads).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-03, 10:41am
Curmudgeon Engineering

My suggestion re the Stump Marver (I don't own one) for a left hander would be to buy a couple small graphite pieces aprox. 25mm x 75mm x 8mm and use sand paper to form your own. Graphite is very easy to work with simple hand tools. Glue the sand paper to a flat surface that you can submerge in a shallow pan of water. Then work the piece against the paper submerged until you have the shape you want or need. The reason for the water is that graphite dust is very messy though non-toxic and will get on and into everything if you work it out in the open air.
Old 2011-03-03, 10:48am

Quote:
My suggestion re the Stump Marver (I don't own one) for a left hander would be to buy a couple small graphite pieces aprox. 25mm x 75mm x 8mm and use sand paper to form your own. Graphite is very easy to work with simple hand tools. Glue the sand paper to a flat surface that you can submerge in a shallow pan of water. Then work the piece against the paper submerged until you have the shape you want or need. The reason for the water is that graphite dust is very messy though non-toxic and will get on and into everything if you work it out in the open air.
that sounds good
Old 2011-03-03, 11:00am
I speak Murrini!

Welcome fellow Lefty!
I'm quite terminally left-handed, meaning if it weren't there to help me stay balanced and keep me from tipping over, I'd probably not even miss my right arm (except for pulling murrini gathers!) if it weren't there!

I've found that most all tools are hand-interchangeable, meaning that after a bit of practice, you get used to working around any orientation peculiarities and that you soon won't even give it a thought once you become used to it.

I think everyone's suggestions so far are great ones and wish you much fun and success in your new glass adventure!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-03, 11:07am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Welcome fellow Lefty!
I'm quite terminally left-handed, meaning if it weren't there to help me stay balanced and keep me from tipping over, I'd probably not even miss my right arm (except for pulling murrini gathers!) if it weren't there!

I've found that most all tools are hand-interchangeable, meaning that after a bit of practice, you get used to working around any orientation peculiarities and that you soon won't even give it a thought once you become used to it.

I think everyone's suggestions so far are great ones and wish you much fun and success in your new glass adventure!

I didn't know you were a lefty too De, how awesome!

Old 2011-03-03, 11:14am

Wow I just had a look at your Murrini. They are gorgeous!!
Old 2011-03-03, 11:16am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Thank you very much dear Astrid!! What I was looking for is something like a stump shaper. I found that all of them I've seen in the stores are shaped in a way that only right handers can use them.
You are right. I'll first start to practise getting use to the glass.
The only shaping tool that I've bought is this one.
At the moment I have an eye infection, so I couldn't use my newly setup working bench at all up to now

But I think this tool might be okay. What do you think?

I hate that thing
but that's just me. I think it's still sitting in a vase somewhere, I never could get the knack of it. I agree totally with what Dragon said about the 2x3 graphite marver. I just dug around thinking I would send you my old one but I found it in pieces.
I knew it had chips but I thought it was still useable. It was in the garage and I think hubby must have knocked it off rearranging things out there.

You can use just an old stainless steel butter knife as a great tool. File off the teeth and just be sure to quench and dry (when it gets hot dunk it in water to cool it and then quickly wipe it dry on something, I keep a towel beside my bench but I've been known to wipe mine dry on my jeans in a pinch
You'd be amazed how much you can do with kitchen tools! Just make sure they're stainless steel.

Old 2011-03-03, 11:18am
balanced but asymmetrical

I'm a lefty too, and have had to alter several of my tools.
Think of it as 'customization'
; graphite and brass are easy to file and sand.
Good luck!

Old 2011-03-03, 11:59am

Leftie here too and I agree, I have no problems using any tools.

Quote:
I'm left handed as well but to me lampworking tools are not like scissors (well, except the scissors
) and are interchangeable. I keep presses on the left side of my bench and just turn them whichever way works best for me.

By brass shaper do you mean a stump shaper? A brass paddle on a stick? I use one and I've never found the orientation of the tool to be a problem.

If you get to the point that you want a specific tool there are people here in the States who would make you one to order I'm sure.

Just speaking from my own experience if you are a newbie I wouldn't buy a lot of tools yet, just some tweezers and a flat graphite paddle. Spend your money on practice glass because it will take you at least a year (unless you are insanely gifted like some people are, I was not) to get to know the glass.

HTH!
It's good to see another glass lefty!

Old 2011-03-03, 12:05pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Wow, look at all the lefties! I
being lefthanded.

Old 2011-03-03, 12:52pm
Theresa

I'm a leftie too
. In my opinion the Stump Shaper is definitely oriented toward right handed use. But that is the only tool I have found to be that way and I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. It's like any other activity - you learn to adapt. The biggest challenge I have found is working from tutorials that are written by and for right handed folks. It makes my brain tired
Old 2011-03-03, 4:33pm

Wow, Maybe we should have a special leftie section here
. I didn't expect to have that much response to my question
Old 2011-03-03, 4:33pm

I have brass 'Stump Shapers' in both left handed and right handed versions.

(about half way down the page)

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-03-03, 6:55pm
k Grace Richard Designs

Default Lefty

Mikes brass tools come in left handed, I have a couple of them...and love them!
Old 2011-03-03, 7:47pm
Theresa

Quote:

Malcolm
Ooh how cool is that? I think I need to check out your site.
Thanks, Malcolm
Old 2011-03-03, 8:55pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Here I am another leftie and proud of it!! As for Malcolm, he is great to buy from and you can be sure you will get what you want!! I would be glad to send you a list that I bought after taking beginner lessons. I bought from a list my instructor gave me, and that is all I used for a long time. And they didn't cost very much, either.
Pat
Old 2011-03-03, 10:23pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:

Malcolm
Aaaaaaaaaaaargh Malcolm, did you really need to show me that? Now I want it. NOT fair.

Old 2011-03-03, 10:52pm
I speak Murrini!

Yet another reason why I just luv'z you Malcolm!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-03, 11:00pm
MacGalver

Oh, great Mal, NOW you tell me it comes in left-handed?! LOL. Yep, I too am left-handed, and I agree the Stump Shaper (a recent acquisition for me) is more right-handed than I thought it would be. With practice, though, I don't think it will be much of an issue. Doesn't surprise me that there are so many left-handers chiming in, after all, we supposed to be more right brained, so the creative would come naturally to us, right? I mean, uh, left....

Jo

Old 2011-03-03, 11:58pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Oh, great Mal, NOW you tell me it comes in left-handed?! LOL. Yep, I too am left-handed, and I agree the Stump Shaper (a recent acquisition for me) is more right-handed than I thought it would be. With practice, though, I don't think it will be much of an issue. Doesn't surprise me that there are so many left-handers chiming in, after all, we supposed to be more right brained, so the creative would come naturally to us, right? I mean, uh, left....

Jo
Or then there's "Only the left-handed are in their right minds"

I don't think that applies to me though.

Old 2011-03-04, 12:21am

Smile thank you Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

so I'll order one of them!! But the postal fee and the customs are very expensive. So let me see if I can find some other things to order
Old 2011-03-04, 7:36am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Hello Malcolm,

so I'll order one of them!! But the postal fee and the customs are very expensive. So let me see if I can find some other things to order
.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it begins.

The disease all lampworkers share, "I really shouldn't pay all this money to get this here without making it worth my while so let me see, there must be something else I need...."

Shopping for tools and glass, it's the primary symptom.

Old 2011-03-04, 3:29pm
glass is sooo...me!

I am "very" left-handed. I was teaching once and my student was duplicating what I had just showed her and she said to me "Ummm...can I switch hands?" OOPS! Sometimes I forget the world ISN'T left-handed.

Karen
Old 2011-03-04, 3:56pm
Apparently Invisible

I am a lefty too! I want Malcolm's stump shaper now...I agree the original is for righties mainly.
Who knew all these peeps wer also lefties?
I have found it to be sometimes difficult when taking a class although all my teachers have been wonderful about it! Of course, all my teachers are wonderful, since I have taken classes only @ Blue Moon.(Shameless plug for my fav glass place-not that they need it)
Lefties of the torch, unite!

Old 2011-03-04, 7:57pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I am going to get down there and take some classes some time this year. I am too close not to do that and I've heard so many good things about Blue Moon. Plus I bought my creation station and my shield from there and both transactions were flawless.

I need to find time for a road trip. Seriously.

Old 2011-03-05, 1:30am

Quote:
I am going to get down there and take some classes some time this year. I am too close not to do that and I've heard so many good things about Blue Moon. Plus I bought my creation station and my shield from there and both transactions were flawless.

I need to find time for a road trip. Seriously.
I bought my creation station there too. My teacher recommended them to me.