Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-19, 11:44am

Default Can I expect a "mirror" finish after tumbling

I have a tumbler....I've followed everyone's instructions, ie: stainless steel shot, drop of liquid ivory soap. I've run some sterling bails several times. They are clean but have a matted finish. They were soldered, pickled, and polished with polishing compound. They originally came with a shiny finish and I want to get that finish back.

When I removed them from the tumbler, they felt like they had kind of sticky feel to them. I've since then cleaned the shot again...

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-19, 12:53pm
Born Facing Left

Sticky? That doesn't sound right. I use grated Ivory bar soap, and my stuff comes out of the tumbler super bright and shiny, although maybe not quite mirror.

How long did you tumble? I'm not sure what's going on, but something isn't right for sure.

Old 2011-03-19, 2:48pm

Have you used this tumbler before? If it's new one, especially one from Harbor Freight, you have to run it a few times with soap and shot, rinse repeat.

For your pieces now, as long as there aren't any pearls or any soft gemstones, I'd give the piece a scrub in some slightly wetted baking soda to take off the stickiness before it went back in the tumbler. You'll need to get some of the baking soda on the piece, and rub each section between your fingers to clean it.
Old 2011-03-20, 10:31am
dances with ideas...

Lynda, thanks for the timely tip! I have a new barrel too.

Old 2011-03-21, 12:35pm

It could come out bright and mirror-like. The last time we had trouble was because the barrel was old and failing. It coated everything with essence of rubber barrel.

Steve

Old 2011-03-21, 5:20pm

Hmmmmm, interesting Steve. That's kind of what the coating feels like it could be, but this tumbler is new. No permanent damage thank goodness....just had to use old fashioned muscle to get these shining. I'm not giving up....sheesh!