No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-15, 9:38am
In the line of fire

Default Converting Between Inches and Millimeters

There was some discussion in another thread of size comparisons between fractional inches and millimeters. I know I've gone crazy myself when ordering tools or reading tutorials using one or the other measurements. I want to share with you this useful chart which gives the conversions both in fractions and in decimals. Hope it helps you like it's helped me.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html

When I was in grammar school (some 40 odd years ago!), the teachers frightened us by saying we better learn the decimal system because within 10 years America would be adopting it. I guess they gave up that goal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-15, 10:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is excellent tool to convert most anything to most anything....

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-06-15, 11:48am
Beadmaking.nl

You can also type in Google:

3/8 inch in mm

http://www.google.nl/search?source=i...qi=g1&aql=&oq=

And Google wil tell you the answer.

Works with everything:

Oz in cl
Dollar in euro

Etc. No tools needed, just internet.

Last edited by Margrieten; 2011-06-15 at 1:48pm.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:58am

How about one that has Inches, MMs, wire gauges and drill Numbers?

http://tinyurl.com/3lg6txj

Steve

Old 2011-06-15, 12:04pm

Every single engineer where I work has the program Dale linked to on their machine. It's excellent and you can even add your own conversions if needed. A general rule is that all units given to you will be in the least usable and most confusing form- furlongs per fortnight for example.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-06-15, 12:07pm
I fart diamonds

http://onlineconversion.com/

Old 2011-06-15, 12:56pm
In the line of fire

I didn't know about the Josh Madison one. When I download it, I'll see if it gives fractions, not just decimals. That's the problem with most conversion tables. They don't show mm in fractions of inches. And who wants to do the math for that???!!!

Old 2011-06-15, 1:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
I didn't know about the Josh Madison one. When I download it, I'll see if it gives fractions, not just decimals. That's the problem with most conversion tables. They don't show mm in fractions of inches. And who wants to do the math for that???!!!
Most mm dimensions do not directly convert to fraction the do however convert to decimal....

Most engineering calculations and drawings are in decimal (well modern ones) ...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-06-15, 1:22pm
Entropy increasing....

I use this one

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html
Old 2011-06-15, 1:30pm

Drifting away from the original topic, I've always liked Sharp calculators (when I'm not using my RPN HP). The Sharps are really inexpensive on Amazon and some of them (like the EL-506 series) can display fractions and flip between fractions and decimals. Very handy at times.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2011-06-15, 2:25pm
In the line of fire

Dale, it would be wonderful if the Americans and Brits would talk in decimals. Much easier to comprehend than fractions! The common sizes used by Europeans (3mm mandrel, for example) are not exact equivalents to similar, common sizes used in the inch world (1/8" mandrel for the same example). 1/8" actually equals 3.175mm Usually this is not a problem, but it does have the potential of screwing up a precise calculation.
We make our tools based on the metric system and sell a lot to Americans, which necessitates giving comparable inch measurements as well. The headache is mine, figuring out the closest equivalents.