LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-08, 5:29pm

Default CiM... Do you like it/what are your experiences?

Hi folks~! So I have done a little bit of training with soft glass using devardi glass, and I have managed to tame it relatively well... it was tough but I managed. Kind of.

I'm looking into some better quality glasses now and I know a lot of folks like brands like Lauscha, Moretti/Effetre, etc... but what about Creation is Messy?

Can anyone enlighten me as far as what that glass is like to work with?
Old 2012-01-08, 5:32pm
sunscreen me baby

Love it. Gorgeous colors and works nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-08, 6:09pm
Burning through glass

Super nice to work with. There are wonderful additions in the 104 coe color palette from this company that do not currently exist from other manufacturers. There are many colors from this company that I ALWAYS use, such as Hades, Lapis, Leaky Pen, Phoenix, Mermaid....actually this list is quite long! I prefer CiM clear over the Italian clears too. Not much at all for shocky....you know what I mean about shocky if you're working with the DeVardi colors! Only criticism I have with the Messy colors are that some of the semi-transparent colors like Eggplant, though gorgeous, can be problematic and prone to cracking if encased. Other than that, the glass is wonderful to work with. Saturated color, bright, melts like butta, beautiful!

Get some! You'll love this glass!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2012-01-08, 6:19pm

If you have been working with Divardi glass, you will absolutely love CIM. It is so much easier to work with and the colors are lovely. You won't be disappointed if you purchase some.

Beth

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2012-01-08, 7:06pm

I had to add yet another storage bin for my ever-expanding usesage of CIM colors

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-01-08, 7:13pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I LOVE CIM!!! I dont' have many colors but the dirty martini is what I LOVE to use with silver leaf. Love the other colors too.....specially the pinks! I only have about 8 or 9 colors and tons of clear but next time I order I'm getting more!
I bought divardi, not much really but what I got I absolutly hate!! If it doesn't break appart trying to warm it (even after putting it in the kiln) it breaks after making!
My main glass is moretti/effetre.
Sue

Old 2012-01-08, 8:12pm

Thanks for the replies... I checked out the wale apparatus website and grabbed 1/4 lb of CiM Kryptonite and a couple 1/4 lb batches of effetre as they currently have it on sale for 20% off. I'm excited to try it out
Old 2012-01-08, 8:29pm
Uh Oh....

Krytonite is really nice too. I like most of their colors and the only compatibility issues I've had is with a batch of Cranberry. Not sure which one but it seems to be incompatible any kind of clear encasing. I love the Dirty Martini and my new fav is Atlantis.

Old 2012-01-09, 7:50am
Peerless Thread Killer

Love CIM, but I have had the Cranberry cracking issues, as well as Kryptonite. I love both those colors but I really have to remember not to encase. Most of them melt like a dream.

Old 2012-01-09, 11:11am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I haven't had any bad experiences, and there are some colors you can't really get from any other mfg.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:32am
Lover of all things color

I absolutely love CIM, there are so many wonderful colors. I probably have them all. Haven't run into the Cranberry problem yet, guess I've just been lucky.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-10, 5:50am

I love CIM! My only complaint is the short runs of this glass. Many colors get discontinued. It causes me to end up with a few rods left. The unique glass gets confusing too. I might end up with no matching rods for a set. I love the colors! It just a bit hard to commit due to the changes I see.

Old 2012-01-10, 8:21am
Formerly FishBulb

I used to love it for its beautiful colours and smooth workability, but I've since experienced cracking issues with a few colours and will probably get rid of most of it since I don't trust it now.

I had super-cooked some Crocus with a few streaks of Eggplant to make a lovely mottled opaline purple, then came to find the beads I'd made like this cracking along the Eggplant streaks a year later. This was just swell considering I had sold beads with this combo and now someone out there has beads with cracks in them.

Shortly after Leaky Pen came out there were a couple of people posting about how their beads were cracking after awhile. One person had to throw out over $ 300.00 worth of pendants because they all had cracks, and they all used LP.

I did speak to the US representative for CIM on the phone regarding this issue and she suggested annealing at a much higher temperature, 990+, which she thinks may resolve the incompatibility issues. I'd meant to do so but honestly, I'll probably just sell what I have. I just don't trust it. Sad, really, because the colour palette is absolutely luscious.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-01-10, 7:51pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

If you're doing okay with Devardi, you'll do fine with CIM. I _ADORE_ their semi-transparents, and love playing with Cirrus . . . .

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2012-02-04, 3:33pm

Is the clear a nice clear? Does it play well with Moretti?

Old 2012-02-04, 9:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkbyLori View Post
Is the clear a nice clear? Does it play well with Moretti?
i mix them all the time with no problems

however dont mix cim with lauscha - big problems!

other than that i love cim colours, i use tuxedo almost exclusively and i love peace white

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-04, 10:57pm

Thank you so much!

Old 2012-02-05, 12:51am
Lover of Life

Most of my all time fave 104 glasses are from the CIM palette. I love Leaky Pen, although it boils easily. My fave opaque purple of all is Lapis... Mermaid and Kryptonite are definite faves of mine. Bordello is a beeeautiful dark transparent red. Gelly`s Sty and Desert Pink are awesome pinks... French Blue and Electric Avenue are my besties in blues. Canyon de Chelly, doesn`t look like much in the rod, but it does cool stuff. I`m out of it now and having withdrawals for an awesome base color that is fun to try with anything. I could go on and on. Love love love the stuff! I haven`t used the clear cus I`m a die hard DH clear girl.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-02-05, 12:56am
Entropy increasing....

I've had some cracking with Cirrus and 104 dichro. But I really like CIM glass. The colors are wonderful. I don't think I hate any of them. lol I love the opal colors.
Old 2012-02-05, 6:25am

I love everything CIM, except the clear. I've tried two batches. I nicknamed the stuff "bubble magic."

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-05, 8:47am
Lampworkaholic!

I just tried the Maraschino and it is beautiful. I'm also currently in love with Electric Avenue and Mint Lozenge.

The Messy clear was nice originally, but later batches were disappointing so I haven't used it for a while. Canyon de Chelly, Stone Ground, Atlantis and Clockwork are some of my go-to favorites.

I just had a bead crack where I used Gelly Sty with one of the Effetre Corals.

I love the palette but going forward I am planning to use Messy colors only with other Messy colors, and maybe with silver glass or frit.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-05, 9:58am

I love CIM

Changeable Ring Tools for Sunset Blvrd and RingDing system
Old 2012-02-05, 11:52am

This is a great thread for information. I think I will pay the extra couple of bucks and stay with Effetre Super Clear. It's reasonably priced, I have no probs with scumming, and 95% of what I use it with is Effetre also.

I do like Dirty Martini.. just such a smoother color than Copper Green.

I was really impressed with Desert Pink and how it holds its color.

I like French Blue and Ginger, too.

Poison Apple looks like a cooler version of Moretti Pea Green, so I'm thinking I would like it. I also want to try Olive and Stone Ground. I miss my Lauscha Olive, but it was so "heavy" to work. And Stone Ground looks like a lighter/warmer brownish/ochre. Any opinions on these?

Old 2012-02-05, 3:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkbyLori View Post
This is a great thread for information. I think I will pay the extra couple of bucks and stay with Effetre Super Clear. It's reasonably priced, I have no probs with scumming, and 95% of what I use it with is Effetre also.

I do like Dirty Martini.. just such a smoother color than Copper Green.

I was really impressed with Desert Pink and how it holds its color.

I like French Blue and Ginger, too.

Poison Apple looks like a cooler version of Moretti Pea Green, so I'm thinking I would like it. I also want to try Olive and Stone Ground. I miss my Lauscha Olive, but it was so "heavy" to work. And Stone Ground looks like a lighter/warmer brownish/ochre. Any opinions on these?
poison apple is nothing like pea green, its much more translucent, sort of like fake jade, its a gorgeous colour

i love stone ground and it reacts with hades for a great webbed effect

Old 2012-02-05, 5:04pm

I adore CIM's colors but unfortunately have had cracking issues with several colors and so I just don't use it anymore in beads I sell.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-02-05, 10:21pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I have never had any trouble with beads cracking when I used CIM non-opalinos. Halong bay, cirrus, crocus and probably more of the milky glass colors are know for their non-compatablity. But I simply couldn't live without some of their main colors!! Here's one reason why: Sangre (the red ones)

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-02-05, 11:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGlassMonkey View Post
I have never had any trouble with beads cracking when I used CIM non-opalinos. Halong bay, cirrus, crocus and probably more of the milky glass colors are know for their non-compatablity. But I simply couldn't live without some of their main colors!! Here's one reason why: Sangre (the red ones)
OMG those look DELICIOUS, they look like pomegranate kernels... I'm drooling now...
Old 2012-02-05, 11:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMYK View Post
OMG those look DELICIOUS, they look like pomegranate kernels... I'm drooling now...
i think thats what they're meant to look like

Old 2012-02-06, 2:57am

I think they look like rosebuds!

Old 2012-02-06, 11:26am

I love the CIM colors pretty much all of them. I really love sherwood its such a pretty green. There are 2 blogs I read often that review colors. I posted the links below. I have never tried devardi glass so I can't give you a comparison between the 2 brands.

http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.com/

http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/

this is the gallery thread that discusses CIM glass.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=show

I also bumped it so you can find it easier.

Caroline

Last edited by carolinesbeads; 2012-02-06 at 11:43am.