LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-18, 5:44am

Default Moldy BOM?

I've used Bucket of Mud for a couple years now and have not had this problem. I wake up this morning to dip mandrels and my new bottle I've used twice has mold all down the sides and bottom (on the inside). I used it anyway hoping it don't make me sick. Anyone else have this problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-07-18, 7:09am
Disconnected

Mine is also always moldy (actually an algae) but it doesn't alter the product at all (which is an excellent one imho) and it's never made me sick.

Old 2009-07-18, 7:24am
I fart diamonds

Lol! Totally OT, but I thought your title said Moldy Mom.

(I don't use BOM. Sorry!)

Old 2009-07-18, 3:31pm

Ewww.I'd sent it back! You are not the first person to post this btw. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-18, 3:42pm

some time back I was really a big fan of BOM... then when I wanted to 'double dip' my mandrels... BOM would not hear of it LOL

so I went back to Bead Separator... but --back to the subject... on the shelf, I have seen rows of big bottles.. 1/2 of them would be green... but not all & they all came in the same shipment... so I aimed for the 'non-green' ones

don't think it should make a difference... contact the company?
patsy
Old 2009-07-19, 11:35am

well glad it won't make me sick. It sure smelled bad while dipping. I've used BOM for 2 or 3 years and never had this problem before. Weird. I guess as long as it works I'll finish the bottle.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-07-19, 5:18pm

This is the exact reason i stopped using BOM. i now use Alice's bead release and make it up with distilled water.
Jen
Old 2009-07-19, 6:08pm

I worked in clay for many years. We would actually get the clay in a ton at a time and introduce bacteria into the clay to cause the mold. It makes the clay more pliable and slicker to use for throwing and hand building. I use BOM and actually buy the ones with the mold. Have no trouble with it. Most of the clays sour and mold, just like cheese, cottage cheese and buttermilk. There are some molds that are bad (black mold) but there are a lot that are good also. I use it and love the way it coats the mandrels. Everyone to their own. But also I can see someone not wanting to use it, and it does smell sour, but I'm well ventilated so the smell goes up the vent.
Geneva
Old 2009-07-19, 6:56pm

so this could actually be a good thing.....mmmm...