Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2014-11-15, 5:37pm
Lifelong Student

Default See me glow

How do you photograph glow in the dark jewelry? As soon as I turn off the light the camera doesn't pick up the glow but I need the light off to make the beads glow
Old 2014-11-15, 5:53pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

I have a couple of options, the easiest one is to have a little bit of light. Your photo will still look dark and show the glow and the camera can get the picture.
Depending on your camera, you can also set it to manual, get it in focus and set that to manual also. Then take the picture. But depending on how dark it is you're in for a LONG exposure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FB friends
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-15, 7:57pm
Lifelong Student

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Whould adjusting the shutter speed work?
Old 2014-11-15, 8:26pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

It might help. Unfortunately, it will probably take some trial and error. If I was taking the picture I would use a room with the light off, but have the light on in the adjoining room. Use a tripod, no flash and a mid level Iso. Then play with your shutter speed to get the picture you want.

FB friends
Old 2014-11-15, 11:43pm
Lifelong Student

Thank, great pointers
Old 2014-11-16, 7:35am
**Fuzzy Logic**

BTW I'm looking forward to seeing your end results!!

FB friends
Old 2014-11-18, 10:33am
specializing in obnoxious

I am pretty sure that a black light activates the glow. I am not sure how well your camera will photograph it with the light levels still low, but it may be enough. Good luck.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2014-11-18, 4:59pm

Set the focus with the lights still on; do a few test shots at different (slow!) shutter speeds, check the results, and tweak from there.
Old 2014-11-18, 5:43pm
Lifelong Student

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll post a picture once I manage to capture the image
Old 2014-11-21, 7:43pm

Take two pictures with your camera locked down on a tripod... one picture with the lights on so you get a good exposure of the beads and then one with them off and expose for the glow. Then merge the two in Photoshop (other programs will work but I know Photoshop) adjusting the opacity of the images until you get the look you want. It's key that you don't let the camera move between shots so that the images line up perfectly.

I don't know if you have the equipment and Photoshop to do this, but this is how it's done to show how a room with the lights on or a house at dusk with the windows lit up but the house also clearly visible or a light bulb with the element lit but the bulb properly exposed, etc. If you merge them together successfully, it brings out the look from both of them.

Another way is to do a timed exposure but either flash the flash part way through or use a flash light to paint the beads while you are exposing. This takes more trial and error to get the exposure correct but can also result in a very good picture.

Mike
Old 2014-11-21, 11:49pm
Still makin' flowers...

I use a black light for Shawn's pieces.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2014-11-23, 10:36am
Borovangelist

FWIW, when I do mine:

I set up with a tripod
Focus first in a windowless room with the lights on
Set up the camera to do a 2 second exposure

Hit it with a blast of UV light to charge the glow just before I snap the photo.

|
|
Old 2014-11-23, 11:51am
Lifelong Student

Some awesome tips...thanks
Old 2014-12-06, 1:04pm

I found having DSLR really helped my pictures. I photo glowing items basically the same way as other items. I have the camera on a tripod. I have the camera set for manual focus and manual aperture set at the smallest opening and have the camera set the exposure time. The shutter is on time delay to remove any shake.
The difference is that I expose the item to strong light before the shot and turn off all lights for a completely dark room.
The exposure time is extremely long. I generally have to cut back the exposure setting because the picture has the item glowing much stronger than reality. I need to balance flattering with reality.

I tried using a black light bulb in the process and got weird results. Maybe a fluorescent black light would get different results.

This may not give you expert results but it works for me. I did not go into this hobby to be a professional photographer.

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.