No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-03, 8:09pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Default BE Cracking issues

Okay so I made a great set and 4 of the beads had a hole to hole crack running down it- okay so I know this is a stress crack and can't figure out for the life of me how it happened cuz most of the beads were fine but now I want to know if there is anything I can do to fix them? Can I fix this crack or are they doomed. Also is there any chance this is an incompatibility issue? I was using Very Fine Purple as the base along with other odds and then encased in 1401 clear also 2 of the spacers had the same cracks but were made out of different colors? okay so enough rambling is there hope for these beads? Please help and Thank you very much in advance!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-03, 8:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

theoretically, if it is thermal/stress, you can reheat the beads in your kiln to annealing temp, take them out of the kiln and reheat SLOWLY in the back of the flame, reheat completely to glowing and put it back in the kiln. It is difficult to keep it from exploding when you start reheating it though - it's tricky and you have to be patient. Might be easier to remake them.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-03, 8:29pm

I was afraid of that hehehe- I don't like exploding glass!! I might just let this one go though cuz I only have one rod left and I don't know if I can get more (crying now).
I have one good one out of the set so I will savor that one. Thanks for the info though! TTFN

Old 2009-01-03, 9:16pm
Critter Mom

I'm a BE user and occasionally I get so involved in decoration or sculpting a certain part that I forget to reheat ... that's what causes cracks ... just gotta keep reheating. I read an article in one of the lampworking magazines and that particular artist said she only works for 8 seconds, then reheats...8 seconds, then reheats. Since reading that I've started trying to do the same.

If I get a crack in something I really love then I just put it on a little fishing line and hang it up. If the fracture occurs some place where I can do a little fixin' ... say the tip of a cat's tail falls off (happened once) I take 'er to my grinder, grind it's little tail down so it's not sharp, add fishing line and hang 'er up. They help decorate my studio space or the garden.

Old 2009-01-04, 2:44am
Hole Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I was afraid of that hehehe- I don't like exploding glass!! I might just let this one go though cuz I only have one rod left and I don't know if I can get more (crying now).
I have one good one out of the set so I will savor that one. Thanks for the info though! TTFN
If you are talking about the Very Fine Purple I'll check and see but am pretty sure I can send you a couple rods. Can't have you being out now ... can we.

Old 2009-01-04, 8:16am

puddytatglass that was my problem I think that I was messing with the amber lustre dot I put in the center and forgot about the back of the bead I wll be dilagent however and try again!
Melodie, you would be a lifesaver! I finally found a purple that I love and no one seems to have anymore left- I think initially I bought several rods but I did not have my presses yet (got those for xmas) so I made just normal beads with them - too bad I was not more patient I will post pics of the beads later today!
Thank you both!

Old 2009-01-04, 9:57am
Hole Challenged

Just checked and I can send you a couple Very Fine Purple. I only have a few rods or I'd send more. How about Purplicious 2? It looks very similar to the VFP, maybe just a tad lighter. I can throw a few of those in also.

Anything else you've been craving? Not sure if I have it but I'll check. Will get a package together to mail this week.

Old 2009-01-04, 10:02am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodie View Post
Just checked and I can send you a couple Very Fine Purple. I only have a few rods or I'd send more. How about Purplicious 2? It looks very similar to the VFP, maybe just a tad lighter. I can throw a few of those in also.

Anything else you've been craving? Not sure if I have it but I'll check. Will get a package together to mail this week.
They are very similar. Nice Melodie

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-04, 1:18pm

Thank you so much you are too sweet!! If you have a rod of the peach color not sure of the exact name but I had wanted to try it for my Hermit crabs. You are such an amazing person!!! PM me with the costs and I will paypal you the money tonight. Also include your addy so I can send you a thank you gift!!!

Old 2009-01-04, 1:27pm

I can't wait to try the purplicious out. I will let you know about how everything turns out.
I am sure that this is an issue of the back not being kept warm enough but I will experiment and try again!
Squid- Thank you to for all of your input would you like a little bead goodie too? PM me your addy and I will send one out for you too!

Old 2009-01-04, 2:26pm
Hole Challenged

I have about 5 rods of the Peachy Glaze so I'll be glad to send you one along with the purples. I'll look to see what other odd lots I have in purples as well. I know I have a bit of Raspberry Jamn ... love that color.

Don't worry about the cost, just pay it forward some day when the opportunity comes up.

Grandkids are here until Tuesday so I might not get it sent until Wednesday if that's okay.

Old 2009-01-04, 3:42pm

You are way too kind and have made my day!! My dog got really hurt at the dog park today by another owners stupidity and can barely walk- this act of kindness has brightened my day! I do believe in returning acts of kindness it is how the world should be!
Enjoy your Grandkids and Have a great week!

Old 2009-01-04, 6:02pm

I don't know if anyone else has found this to be the case, but when I was getting quite a few thermal cracks on encased beads I started putting them away hotter or quicker than I would 104 glass and it seemed to fix the problem.

Good Luck!
Mary
Old 2009-01-04, 6:06pm

Thank you so much Mary!!! I do think that I need to do that in addition to keeping my eye on the back of my pieces I can be such a nutter sometimes (LOL)

Old 2009-01-05, 2:02am

Can someone please define a stress crack. I can guess that a thermal crack would be a heat issue, but how is a stress crack caused?
Thanks =)