No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2013-06-08, 6:54am
Flamewoman

For those of you who use a pinfrog, I have to show you this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vin-Pin-2-Di...item33819a0496
I have this and many other tools from them, LOVE them.
The pinfrog is the best, you can really push that glass into it and even flatten it down with a paddle, the glass just doesn't stick like it could to a regular pinfrog.
And you can take some pins out to create a pattern if you wish, this is a quality tool,
and the other things I have bought from them are really nice too.
I know it costs more than other pinfrogs, but worth every penny.
Thanks Cori for information, can't wait until I am healed enough to torch,
this is killing me. I usually torch at least 5 days a week.......oh well.
Cori....what torch do you use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-06-08 at 6:56am.
Old 2013-06-08, 8:21am
Hobby Junkie

I have a Wale Firebird and am running it on an M-20 OxyCon. I would prefer tanked but it's way to expensive around here.

Old 2013-06-09, 7:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I have a Wale Firebird and am running it on an M-20 OxyCon. I would prefer tanked but it's way to expensive around here.
Cori ... clean out your mailbox please ... it tried to send you a PM of someone somewhat local to talk to about selling your marbles.

Old 2013-06-09, 8:16am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Cori ... clean out your mailbox please ... it tried to send you a PM of someone somewhat local to talk to about selling your marbles.
Just cleaned it. Thanks!!!

Old 2013-06-11, 5:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
what I great, there is lots of wonderful tips and info here.
makes me wish I could torch more.
these are a few of mine, a recent marble and a large paper weight I did a while back

Are these paperweights made the same way as an implosion pendant, but on a bigger scale? What size rod (or tube) did you use? Very lovely and inspirational.
Old 2013-06-24, 10:01pm

Still making these, here is a new one that I liked enough to post. Have made some really terrible ones lately. I watched the John Kobuki video so I have some new things to try out. Hopefully that will help me a bit.

Old 2013-06-25, 6:23pm
Flamewoman

Default Sunflowers

I have been getting a little torch time in, Here are some of
my latest efforts. Flower petals are just Carmel, I love that color.

The backs of these are finished in Jet black with a sparklie layer of
paprazzi frit and then clear.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-06-25 at 6:26pm.
Old 2013-06-25, 7:09pm

What clear are you using that gives those halos? Really like that look.
Old 2013-06-25, 8:04pm
Flamewoman

Simax is all I ever get. I do have a little left of some Schott 8mm clear that I use for beads and puntys, but will never buy it again. I get the best results with simax, I like pyrex too, but it always came all scratched up, I only buy by the case, so never again for that. Getting ready to buy some clear, just waiting for a sale.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-26, 4:22am
Lotion handler

They look like gorgeous little sunflowers Mary! So pretty! Glad you are felling well enough to be torching again.
Old 2013-06-26, 5:44am
Flamewoman

Thank you Arryn, I feel lucky to be torching or anything besides watching TV!
Never been a TV watcher, so hard to sit still, but no choice sometimes.
Really looking forward to feeling good enough to walk my dogs.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-26, 6:22am

Wonderful Mary and I love that they have just a touch of Kobuki to them but are different than anything I've seen of his.

Old 2013-06-26, 10:18am

very nice sun flowers.

Old 2013-06-28, 6:19pm
Flamewoman

Have to laugh at your comment Laura, I'm happy if they even have a faint touch of Kobuki to them, lol. I am so lazy, compared to his style, he is a perfectionist with the skills to back that tendency up. Me......I call my style "casual" ... .
Sometimes my DH says "why don't you get that flower perfectly centered, it would look better" I just tell him that someday when I am John Kobuki it will be so, untill then.... it is what it is.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-28, 8:35pm

those are really cool, love the blue halo and center implosion
Old 2013-06-29, 7:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Have to laugh at your comment Laura, I'm happy if they even have a faint touch of Kobuki to them, lol. I am so lazy, compared to his style, he is a perfectionist with the skills to back that tendency up. Me......I call my style "casual" ... .
Sometimes my DH says "why don't you get that flower perfectly centered, it would look better" I just tell him that someday when I am John Kobuki it will be so, untill then.... it is what it is.
If you're casual that must make me sloppy. Nature is not "perfect" ... One petal is turned wrong, a stem is misshapen.

I've never understood the desire for perfect petals and perfect center ... I'd rather have someone look at it and say ... that is that flower (aka go for some level of realism). Just my personal hang up (one of them anyways )

Old 2013-06-29, 3:57pm
Flamewoman

I understand the desire for perfect petals and center! I have it! Damn! I never get my true desire! But I get close enough to keep my desire alive. I have a done a few pendants thru the years, ( and years) that were perfect. I have kept them, and they fit in a very, very small box. I have an absolute ton of pendants that are from years ago, that I dont know what to do with? Can I sell like a box of pendants in the "Garage Sale" area? someone would think they're cool, but ones I do now are so much more "evolved".

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-01, 11:18am

I like to 'hide' pieces that aren't top notch in spots close to the ground so kids will find them. Last year at a show a family turned one in to Lost & Found thinking someone had lost it. The little boy got to keep it. (good job Mom)
Old 2013-07-01, 6:57pm

love that idea I take my 'off' marbles to the local beach and dropped them behind logs rocks and such.

Old 2013-07-02, 1:37am
Hobby Junkie

I leave my "rejects" in little baggies containing a note along hiking trails. The note contains instructions for the finder to keep it for a while and enjoy it, and then release it back somewhere for someone else to find.

Old 2013-07-02, 9:59am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love the way you did the centers, Mary.

The 'halo' around the pedals is typical when using a high silver content glass. The silver in the glass 'fumes' the clear around it when imploding, or condencing if you prefer.

PJ
Old 2013-07-02, 7:45pm
Flamewoman

Default Framed Florals

Thank you PJ, now if I could just get my centers in the center.
Sometimes I like to put a frame of Jet around florals, gives them
a vintage look. Adds a hecka lota time too lol!

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2013-07-02 at 7:48pm.
Old 2013-07-03, 9:37am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I like the bottom one the best; love the center.

The other two give the feeling of having grown while vertical as the staymen and upper petals are reaching upwards 'to the light' or maybe to the wearers face?

Nice.
PJH
Old 2013-07-03, 11:15am

@ Mary K.......take your black, and coil pot a thick bubble. melt down, blow out, repeat until uniform wall thickness.
then take your pendant in one hand the bubble on a blowtube in the other. get the bubble ripping hot and while applying the center of the bubble onto the center of the pendant back, puff gently.
then pop a hole and tear off the rest of the bubble trash and clean up around the edge. it's a quick way to get a nice even backing on a pendant or marble.
Old 2013-07-04, 1:39pm
Flamewoman

Wow istandalone that sounds hard. Rememember, I am lazy. What I do is 3 or 4 dips of jet black frit, then run a small line of jet around edge, takes me about 1 1/2 min. For the last few pendants I posted here, I just kept running the line of black around more times to get that ridge, and there the tricky part is keeping it even.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-07-08, 5:54pm
Borovangelist

It's not too hard, you can just coil a little on the end of a piece of 10 or 12mm tubing, even out the wall and leave it hanging out of the kiln until you're ready.

It all depends on the look you want and how think you want the glass on the backing. I like the frit method too, but sometimes it climbs too far up the sides for my liking, or I wind up with the half hamburger bun look.

|
|
Old 2013-08-03, 9:22am
Furball

Still having trouble with tube implosions getting a bubble in the middle. I blow a bubble fairly thin. Draw my stuff. Heat it all up at the back of the flame until all the stuff is melted in. Then bring it closer to the flame to contually implode and use the rest of the bubble. Most of the time I am holding my point parallel to the table. Any suggestions?
Old 2013-08-04, 6:23am
Flamewoman

I have tried tube implosions, with no luck. I stick to cane and do compressions instead. Also, I have a real hard time keeping the tube clean while stored, and cleaning it...almost impossible.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-08-04, 6:59am

I'm another one that just cannot get the hang of tube. Mentally I'm trying to blame it on the torch ... not a bushy enough flame ... but reality is it's most likely operator error.

Maybe I should admit defeat and sell off my assortment of tube. I have heavy wall, medium wall, regular wall.

The only tube I have any success with is the small tube for making glass straws. But I honey pot the glass I want on the end and use it as a fusible blow tube. So I'm not pulling points or blowing bubbles directly with it.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2013-08-04 at 11:15am.
Old 2013-08-04, 10:14am
kinda torching....

Hey Laura, my self or a friend of mine would likely be interested in the boro and could pick it up if you decide to sell for a good price.

I'd also be interested in any scraps you'd want to get rid of as well.
Thank you
Jeremy