Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-06-16, 6:32am
Formerly FishBulb

Default Barnacle Murrini Tutorial?

ETA: I have done the tutorial and you can find it here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=167768

I have had some good success with making and using barnacle murrini and I was thinking of whipping up a small, free tutorial.

Would I be stepping on anyone's toes if I do this? I haven't been able to find any for sale, but if there are, could you all let me know so I don't offer this for free and end up taking away from someone's livelihood?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.

Last edited by Mitosis Glass; 2010-07-05 at 7:40pm.
Old 2010-06-16, 6:39am
Just a bit DOOPY DOO DAH!

I haven't seen one for sale and I would love this! But if I do come across one being sold I'll let you know

------------------------------------------------

~ SRA#L-88
Old 2010-06-16, 7:01am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Looking forward to it Angie!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-06-16, 7:05am
Formerly FishBulb

I'll give this thread until Friday night -- if no one has mentioned anything about a tut for sale then I'll make one over the weekend.

Old 2010-06-16, 8:31am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Love to see it!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-06-16, 9:06am
Dancing Moon Shadows

Not to be putting a damper on anything but....

Sherry Bellamy has a section in her SHIPWRECK tute instructing this. It's called HOLLOW ILLUSION CANE. I haven't seen the pics of what you're thinking about writing about; could be total different. But I used Sherry's method in my aquariums and tidepool beads.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-06-16, 9:06am

I would love a murrini tutorial. I have made my own murrini, and would enjoy seeing other techniques.
Old 2010-06-16, 9:09am

People have been making murrini for centuries, I doubt it should be a problem.
Old 2010-06-16, 9:19am
Storm Queen

Just thought I'd let you know that Corina has a free one on her website that has been there for a few years:
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/minimurrini.php
and part two:
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/applyingmurrini.php

That shouldn't stop you though.

Old 2010-06-16, 9:22am

Mary Moth has one in her canes tutorial. Not sure if she'd mind but thought I'd throw that out there. Can't remember what the tutorial was called but I have it and that's how I learned to make mine.

Old 2010-06-16, 9:29am
I speak Murrini!

Hey Angie!

I think your offer to do a free tutorial is lovely! I think that anyone who is interested in the concept of making any type of murrini will find this an awesome design to start with.

Advanced (image) murrini making is a progressive skill; starting with a barnacle cane will give future murrini makers a good understanding of the fundamental "build", and probably even more importantly, how to heat the gather and evenly pull it out.

As was mentioned above, apparently Sherry Bellamy has a section in her "SHIPWRECK" tutorial that gives basic instructions on making barnacle cane, but I personally doubt that anyone buys THAT tutorial just to learn barnacles! So I suspect Sherry wouldn't be too impacted if you decide to post a tutorial on BARNACLES only.

In addition, from a basic search and from the tutorials I've purchased in the past, I know that Mary Lockwood includes some basic instructions in her "JELLYFISH BEAD" Tutorial on how to make a "Sea Urchin Cane" which is done similarly but not exactly the same as a Barnacle.

With that said, maybe it would be best to contact both Sherry Bellamy and Mary Lockwood and ask them for some feedback just to be safe before you proceed.

I just want to say that I sincerely respect your willingness to inquire and get "clearance" and take an interest pulse-check on this subject before diving in. None of these techniques are really "owned" by anyone, and surely they have been made eons before any of us were even born or started playing with glass. Nevertheless it's very considerate of you to check first before taking a chance on opening a can of worms or hurting anyone's feelings.

You've got my THUMBS UP!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-16, 9:33am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Also, no one owns barnacle murrine, so i wouldn't worry about that at all.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-16, 9:43am
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you all for your responses!

I did get a PM from an artist who was working on a series of mini-tuts as part of a larger seascape tutorial she's doing, and barnacles just happened to be one of them.

She was very nice about it all and didn't know if she should contact me or not because she didn't want to step on toes either, but she did want to let me know of her plans since I did ask for communication from LE on this matter!

Out of courtesy to her I will not offer a free one without further communication from her.

Old 2010-06-16, 9:47am
I speak Murrini!

...proving yet again what a sweet and thoughtful person you are Angie!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-16, 9:52am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think it's a bummer someone doing a paid tutorial (where this is not even the main item) for something that has been done many times by other people would keep another person from doing a free one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-06-16, 9:55am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I think it's a bummer someone doing a paid tutorial (where this is not even the main item) for something that has been done many times by other people would keep another person from doing a free one.
I don't get it either. Like I said earlier and also in another thread about this same subject, Corina has had a free tutorial on her website for years...long before tutorials for purchase were around.

Old 2010-06-16, 10:10am
Formerly FishBulb

No, no, this person didn't say I couldn't do it, they just let me know that a barnacle tut would be part of their large seascape tut and they may offer embellishments like barnacles as a mini-tut. They didn't want to stop me from doing anything; they were just as cautious as I was about stepping on toes and they only wanted to let me know of their plans since I did ask for people's opinions. It's all on the up-and-up and there are no hard feelings!

Her barnacles are also quite complex and really lovely, whereas mine are more plain.

Which brings me to the good news:

We'd been PM'ing back and forth this morning and we decided that since mine are quite different from hers, I wouldn't be taking anything away from her tut if I did post mine as a freebie, so I will probably do just that.

I'll check with Sherry and Mary as well, although I do know that Mary's barnacles are different than mine (she calls them sea urchins!) so it should be alright on that front.

Old 2010-06-16, 10:47am
Elphaba Lives !!

PM'd 'ya Angie !!

Old 2010-06-16, 11:18am
Formerly FishBulb

Got it, thank you Kathy!

Old 2010-06-16, 12:37pm

Yours are cool and I think would be great for the beginner that doesn't want to get into making complex cane yet.
Hope you do it. I'm sure alot of people will be happy

Old 2010-06-16, 12:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
No, no, this person didn't say I couldn't do it, they just let me know that a barnacle tut would be part of their large seascape tut and they may offer embellishments like barnacles as a mini-tut. They didn't want to stop me from doing anything; they were just as cautious as I was about stepping on toes and they only wanted to let me know of their plans since I did ask for people's opinions. It's all on the up-and-up and there are no hard feelings!

Her barnacles are also quite complex and really lovely, whereas mine are more plain.

Which brings me to the good news:

We'd been PM'ing back and forth this morning and we decided that since mine are quite different from hers, I wouldn't be taking anything away from her tut if I did post mine as a freebie, so I will probably do just that.

I'll check with Sherry and Mary as well, although I do know that Mary's barnacles are different than mine (she calls them sea urchins!) so it should be alright on that front.
I should clarify - I didn't mean that they were telling you not to do it, but that the fact they were doing one was holding you back.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-06-16, 1:09pm

What Squid and Amy said.There are many different kinds of barnacles and if someone is kind enough to share their interpretation ,they should be able to and peeps who charge for
their interpretations have that option. By the way I love the tuts I have purchased and
really appreciate the "free" ones too.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripz
Old 2010-06-16, 2:26pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you everyone for the feedback on this. In the year-and-a-half that I've been here I've seen issues surrounding tutorials and information freely given vs. charged. I'm still trying to find my "place" here, as it were, as an emerging lampworker and I'm being overly cautious.

So far it looks like it'll be a "go". It won't be anything much, just something simple for anybody who doesn't know where to start.

Old 2010-06-16, 2:34pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you everyone for the feedback on this. In the year-and-a-half that I've been here I've seen issues surrounding tutorials and information freely given vs. charged. I'm still trying to find my "place" here, as it were, as an emerging lampworker and I'm being overly cautious.

So far it looks like it'll be a "go". It won't be anything much, just something simple for anybody who doesn't know where to start.

Old 2010-06-28, 8:11pm
uncouthful cats

Interesting timing - I've been looking for a tutorial on how to get the murrini to look like barnacles. There's one artist who does really cool barnacles, very 3D, but I can't remember who it is. Does anyone remember? I'd like to ask if she would share her barnacle mojo. I'm pretty technique impaired, but I'd like to give it a try, especially with some of Maren's black sand. Can anyone help with the artist's name?

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-06-28, 8:48pm
uncouthful cats

Oh, I had forgotten Kate's sea treasure urns! Thank you for that reminder, Kimberly. Yes, that is the kind of barnacle look I'd like to be able to try - the raised, 3D barnacles. I believe the artist I can't remember has those kind of barnacles in an encased bead. It's likely beyond my capabilities at present, but I love those barnacles!!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!