LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-27, 4:25pm
Moving On

Default Electroplating/electroforming Question(s)

I'm trying to copperplate some acorn beads (I last did it about 2 years ago, and that was the only time I did it). The coating is "growing"...but is sort of dull and salmon-y colored. From the instructions I've read, this could be from not straining the solution.

Is that it? Or something else?

Regardless of why it is looking that way, can I "turn it around" so that it looks more copper-y?

Should I stop? Rinse? Strain? Sell the whole thing?

Help!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-28, 10:57am
Artistically Absorbed

It also could be the setting is to high on the rectifier if I remember right. I think it will likely shine up sparkly when you are done with a metal brush or some buffing.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-10-28, 11:32am

Hi Gail, are you doing electroforming where you paint the copper on it? I'm still a bit confused by the difference of plating vs electroforming.
Old 2013-10-28, 11:34am
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrina310 View Post
Hi Gail, are you doing electroforming where you paint the copper on it? I'm still a bit confused by the difference of plating vs electroforming.
Yes! I'm sure I've got the terminology wrong!

Old 2013-10-28, 11:37am
Moving On

I strained and filtered my solution and am trying with another bead, and tried wire brushing yesterday's beads...It is looking a bit better. Now I want to figure out how to get a green patina in the crevices. I have liver of sulphur (not that I know how to use that), but I'm pretty sure that makes black, not green).

I think I have mushy-brain syndrome.

Old 2013-10-28, 11:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Joseph View Post
I strained and filtered my solution and am trying with another bead, and tried wire brushing yesterday's beads...It is looking a bit better. Now I want to figure out how to get a green patina in the crevices. I have liver of sulphur (not that I know how to use that), but I'm pretty sure that makes black, not green).

I think I have mushy-brain syndrome.
I have put the copper thing in salt water, let it dry, then suspend it in a plastic bag over ammonia. It will get you the green.

I take a small glass of ammonia, suspend the bead over the cup, do not let it touch the ammonia, put the whole cup with the bead and everything in a zipper bag... Be very careful opening the bag, all the fumes will come out and try to gag you. Just watch it to see when it gets the color you want.

Old 2013-10-29, 5:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn View Post
I have put the copper thing in salt water, let it dry, then suspend it in a plastic bag over ammonia. It will get you the green.

I take a small glass of ammonia, suspend the bead over the cup, do not let it touch the ammonia, put the whole cup with the bead and everything in a zipper bag... Be very careful opening the bag, all the fumes will come out and try to gag you. Just watch it to see when it gets the color you want.
This works well, I put them under my ventilation hood for setup and opening again. Ammonia fumes can be quite toxic so be sure that you have good ventilation when you do this.

Robert
Old 2013-10-30, 8:43am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Hey Gail,
From my experience, if you get a dull, salmon color you don’t have enough current. The biggest mistake made in electroforming is not setting the machine to the proper amperage for the area that you are electroforming in the tank. You must set the rectifier to .10 amp per square inch of metal surface that you are electroforming in your tank with the copper solution.

If your setting is too low the copper will build-up with a salmon/shrimp color on it. If the setting is right it will come out like a new penny. If the setting is too high you will get the same crystallization on the work piece that you got on the wire when making a bad connection and it will be dark, powdery and grainy.

Also make sure that the size of your anodes is equal or greater than the total of surface that you are electroforming in the tank.

Hope that helps,
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2013-10-30 at 8:47am.
Old 2013-10-30, 7:12pm
Moving On

Thanks everyone! Mission accomplished!!

Old 2013-10-30, 7:27pm
Wonder-wench

pictures or it didn't happen

Old 2013-11-01, 11:07am
Moving On

Here are a couple of the pieces:

Old 2013-12-26, 8:33am

Beautiful, Gail! Something I must learn.♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2013-12-28, 11:40am
Glass-aholic

Ok now to add to the questioning, what or how are you seeking the copper when you are done?

They look great!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-12-28, 12:06pm
honorary bead lady

For an interesting read...

http://www.archive.org/stream/electr...e/244/mode/2up
Old 2014-01-03, 1:12pm
Glass-aholic

That's a great link David.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: