LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-12-21, 4:26pm

Default where to buy ventilation fan?

Ive recently moved from my garage to my basement (brr -20degrees outside) and i need some advice on ventilation.

Ive got EVERYTHING done for my ventilation except the actual ventilation fan. my fume "catch" is a 7" by 10" vertical opening connected to a 4" diameter flext vent out the wall of my house with a vent cap on the end.

Ive been to both lowes and home depot and Im a bit confused on the actual fan size. The research Ive done as of late tells me that anything below 300cfm (bathroom fan) is too low... but the 1300cfm attic fans seem too strong and too big.

Can anyone give me some advice on the cfm a should be looking for, and the smallest fan that would achieve that cfm -- or at least somewhere to buy one from?
Old 2008-12-21, 7:07pm

you can try googling can fan there are a bunch of sellers on ebay or at Maryland hydroponics depending on where you live they also have same thing in cal.
If you do a search on the site you will find a ton of info. posted there is even a discount offered for le members at m. h.

good luck i spent around 200.00 for a high velocity can fan at m.h. and got the extra controller.
Old 2008-12-21, 11:55pm

I heard at the Missouri Bead Retreat last May that that Glasscraft has a great vent system for sale....

www.glasscraftinc.com

Denise
Old 2008-12-22, 8:59am
Living out Loud

Default ventilation

Yellowbird, can you tell me more about you ventilation system and how you set you ventillation system up? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-22, 10:10am

I used the fan and pipe it fits right over the fan it is an inline can fan. Someone I Hayley has started a thread about ventilation it has pictures and you can see the fan in use. There are several other photos which give great ideas on how to set one up. Try searching in safety , if I can find it I will give you a link.
Old 2008-12-22, 3:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Please go here:http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...e1d81d9c27d165

and talk to Dale after reading everything on ventilation if you still have questions. You should be able to get all of your questions answered here. This is Art Glass Answers forums

Lorraine
Old 2008-12-22, 3:44pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Andrea Guarino & her sweet hubby Whit have a great little tutorial on vent systems also!

Good luck & stay warm!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-27, 5:46pm

I just got a 800 cfm squirrel box fan from Maryland Hydroponics they are having a sale now it was 142.00 with shipping. It works great.

Old 2008-12-27, 5:55pm

Those are a little louder that's why I went with the can. however if it is outside or not too close it shouldn't be a problem
Old 2008-12-27, 7:27pm

You won't find a fan strong enough at the big box stores. An in-line fan is also less likely to meet spec as well. Go to Grainger and get a squirrel cage blower, build a box for it and put it in-line on your system. The box acts as a vacuum plenum and lets you get full use of the blower.

Robert
Old 2008-12-27, 9:51pm

I have a in line can fan with a control box it suck enough air out of the room to meet any spec you can find. It is so strong I rarely use it full force it is just too powerful?
But if you are talking about the type fans used in bathrooms or kitchens I agree they are not powerful enough.
Old 2008-12-28, 8:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

Be careful when reading specs for inline fans... IF fan is labeled as "inline duct booster fan" it will have two specifications, one when it is built in duct of forced air heat/cool system and one that is free air...

The inline booster rating may be something like 500 cfm, but that only used as booster.... Free air rating may be only 230cfm for same fan, that IS the rating you need to use when designing a system... These fans tend to be blade type fans (propeller) and are not near as efficient as a "squirrel cage" or in inline "turbine" (can) fan...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-12-28, 2:42pm

Dale or Robert,
Guys like you need to just market a system. Or sell the specifics, such as a list of fan models and the range of hood sizes that could be built.

I tinkered and thought. In the end I bought one that looks similar to Glasscraft's but from someone else. I'm so glad I didn't try to wing it on my own.

I completely understand the diy thinking, but when it comes to safety I got tired of trying to reinvent the wheel.