Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-07, 6:21am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Default Cola soaking time for beads

Hi there
I have some dark turquoise beads that were misbehaving a bit in the flame. We do not the branded toilet cleaner that I have seen some people use here on the forum, so my next bet is using cola. What is the time for them to be soaked? Hours, days or weeks?

thanks for advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-07, 6:37am
Miles from nowhere...

Hi Diana,
I needed so soak some beads and didn't have the brand that was talked about either, so I just used what I had in a 50/50 mix with water and it worked great. Maybe others will chime in...maybe it was just dumb luck with me. That's entirely possible!

Kate

Old 2009-08-07, 7:11am
I fart diamonds

It doesn't have to be a certain brand of toilet bowl cleaner. For coke, leave the beads overnight.

Old 2009-08-07, 7:16am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

thank you Kate and Shawnette. The beads is already soaking in the Cola, if no improvement, I will introduce them to Toilet Duck!

Last edited by Art of Hand; 2009-08-07 at 7:19am.
Old 2009-08-07, 7:46am
I'm a lilac!

Make sure you soak them at room temperature... the warmer the Coke the faster it works.

Old 2009-08-07, 7:48am
Striking-impared...

When I do a cola soak (100% cola), I leave them in overnight.

Reminder -- regular cola only -- diet colas do not work.

Old 2009-08-07, 8:11am
Cali4nia baby

So what do you accomplish by soaking the beads?
Old 2009-08-07, 8:16am
If you don't member,ASK!

I don't know how true all of this is but here is some interesting info I got a long time ago.

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway partol carries two gallons of coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-Bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of coke into the toilet bowl and let the real thing sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up ;iece of aluminum foil dipped in coke.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of coke over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in coke to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of coke into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, aloowing the drippings to mix with the coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. (Ive tried this and it is very good.)

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run though a regular cycle. The Coke will help loosen grease stains.

9. I will also clena road haze from your windshield.

10 The distruibutors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years.

MAKES YOU THINK!

Michel & Lisa

Empty right now, but Lots of goodies coming soon!
Old 2009-08-07, 8:58am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Fairyverre, Some colours go all jucky if not treated respectfully in the flame. So you will get a greyish sheen on the turqouise beads. And that is what I did. So now I need them nice and pretty again. If you put these beads in eching fluid, you will also get rid of the haze, but then it will be matt.

Old 2009-08-07, 3:38pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Dose anyone have before and after pic's of the cola soaking. I have tried the toilet
bowl cleaner called The Works but I didn't like the after affects it gave me.
Old 2009-08-07, 4:20pm
offically down under

Someone suggested that the regulator on your tank might be too high if you are getting the turquoise to go all yucky. I have soaked beads in toilet bowl cleaner and coke and have never eliminated the haze.

Old 2009-08-07, 9:07pm
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRET View Post
Dose anyone have before and after pic's of the cola soaking. I have tried the toilet
bowl cleaner called The Works but I didn't like the after affects it gave me.

I soaked this set of spacers for about 24 hours and several of them were pretty hazed up!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=28650590

They come out nice and shiny without any pitting or etching like you can get with The Works
I've also used one packet of lemonade koolaide to 1/4 cup of water heated in the microwave and it works too for removing the gray haze and for pickling sterling silver

Last edited by Sue H-K; 2009-08-07 at 9:09pm.
Old 2009-08-07, 9:14pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Someone suggested that the regulator on your tank might be too high if you are getting the turquoise to go all yucky. I have soaked beads in toilet bowl cleaner and coke and have never eliminated the haze.
Thank goodness someone else has tried and failed at this. Maybe it's only US coke that works

Old 2009-08-08, 9:07am
burnin' glass just becuz

i'm curious: so is it just the acid in the coke/koolaid/toilet bowl cleaner that cleans the residue off the beads? If yes, then would just straight citric acid mixed in water work? or maybe even vinegar or lemon juice?

i've also heard CLR works... never tried any of these methods tho. i'm one of the few that actually likes that grey haze on dark turquoise and copper green...lol

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-08-08, 9:49am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

The cola did clean up the beads, but it soaked for about 36 hours. I put the container in a bowl of hot water every now and then, and that seemed to clear it up quicker. My supplier of gas delivered a bottle of LP gas (mix of propane and butane?) that burns dirty by accident a while ago. My flame was never nice and smooth while I had the bottle, and I also had a lot of carbon deposits on the torch nozzle. I just got a bottle of propane, and it is amazing what a difference it made. Hotter flame, clean burning, and no haze on the turq.

Thank your for all the input!

Old 2009-11-06, 11:12am
Forever P~P~P :0)

I just soaked some beads in COKEthat had the reduction gunk on my black for about 48 hrs and they all came out pretty, shiney black, without the silver/grayish hazz......Yeah!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-11-06, 4:39pm

Try this quick, harmless solution...This works like a charm...I discovered that the product "Fruit Fresh" sold by Ball is really good at removing reduction residue...You can find it at the grocery store and it is used to prevent browning of fresh-cut produce. I mix a little into water and then place the beads in for a short soak...voila...works remarkable quickly...The ingredients list: dextrose, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), citric acid, and silicon dioxide (anti-caking)...all of which sound pretty harmless.

Old 2009-11-06, 5:58pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
I don't know how true all of this is but here is some interesting info I got a long time ago.

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway partol carries two gallons of coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-Bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of coke into the toilet bowl and let the real thing sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up ;iece of aluminum foil dipped in coke.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of coke over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in coke to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of coke into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, aloowing the drippings to mix with the coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. (Ive tried this and it is very good.)

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run though a regular cycle. The Coke will help loosen grease stains.

9. I will also clena road haze from your windshield.

10 The distruibutors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years.

MAKES YOU THINK!
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
Old 2009-11-07, 1:53am
one day at a time

Has anybody ever left beads to soak on the mandrels too long and got the rust stains in and around the holes? The toilet bowl cleaner trick works for that. I like Snobol the best, but I'm sure other brands work. You just have have to try several of them until you find one that does.

So, after trying out a few you have all these bottles of different brands of loo cleaner. What didn't work for the beads will work for your toilets and you're stocked up. What can you lose? I don't have the patience for the cola soak! I get the junk off my beads in as little as 15 minutes. I've left them in the cleaner for 4 hours before, and just really clean beads were the result, no damage.

If there are still signs of rust left after the soaking, you can rub it off with a pencil eraser.
Old 2009-11-07, 2:31am
In the line of fire

My absolute favorite and works the fastest is the Ajax Professional line. Its not sold as a toilet bowl cleaner, but as a cleaning spray. Its found in the cleaning products isle and used to clean up lime scale on faucets and sinks. I've used other companies that do the same thing. They all work better and faster than toilet bowl cleaner (marginal results) and coke (VERY marginal results).

Old 2009-11-07, 10:47am

and....from all the trials we all have really clean bathrooms, right?
(not....!)

coke really does work on battery terminals.....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-07, 2:14pm

No really...try the "Fruit Fresh"...NONTOXIC and works quickly to remove gray reduction gunk!!! Ascorbic acid and citric acid are weak acids that do the job...

Old 2011-10-16, 1:40pm
Certified Thread Killer

Exclamation What Are You All Using Now?

Bump!

What are y'all using now? Need brands, specific/recommended soak times!

When this thread was originally written (2009) the toilet bowl cleaner method worked great for overnight removal of light haze. A soak overnight and bright haze-free beads by morning. And that worked well for a long time…

But I ran out of toilet bowl cleaner (CLR) and bought more. Same brand, but now it's “Formulated in partnership with the EPA” and pretty much doesn't take crap off the toilet now (pun intended).

Overnight soak, nothing. Two days, nothing. Three…four…five…six days…one week, nothing. After 10 days I rinsed and wiped the light turquoise beads and decided that the bit of haze left was yucky, but acceptable. The dark turquoise had some spots that were lightened, but the majority of the haze still there.

I have also tried the non-diet Coke soak. One week, nothing, two weeks, nothing. Vinegar, nothing. Lemon juice, nothing.

The haze really isn't even that bad, just barely enough to make the color look "muddy".

And I lurve the color of Effetre dark turquoise, once the icky haze has been removed! Armour Etch will do it in ten seconds, but I don't like the matte effect.

I'm experimenting with a rust remover made by Loc-Tite called "Naval Jelly". It's a hot pink jell that is spread on rust, left 10 minutes, and rinsed off, presumably all the rust comes off with it too. It's made with phosphoric acid and claims to have the "original formula since 1963". It's looking promising for the dark turquoise, but it's still been more than 24 hours and the haze still isn't completely gone.

So far it looks fairly hopeful. I can follow up with results if anyone wants.
Old 2011-10-16, 4:54pm
honorary bead lady

Wink rust stain remover, it is still 3% HF.
It will lightly etch the turquoise/skyblue color range

http://www.whink.com/index.cfm?fusea...ategoryID=1541

MSDS http://www.whink.com/cmssites/ws0811...2010062008.pdf
Old 2011-10-16, 5:27pm
one day at a time

I'm really sorry that some of you can't get the Snobol in your area. It works in about 15-20 minutes and will etch the beads only if you forget and leave them in for hours and hours...don't do that! I've left them in for 4 hours, but those were Uroboros transparents. Effetre turquoise was slightly etched after 3 hours when I forgot.

What I should do is test some more brands and let you all know what I come up with. My sister and I are are clean freakish about super white toilet bowls and we go through a lot of the stuff, so I'll get on it!

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-10-16 at 5:30pm.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:30am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I got a container of Toilet Duck about 2 years ago, and mixed it half and half with water. I have used that container since then when I get 'the haze' on my beads. Under 30 minutes and the haze is gone, with longer soaks it will start to etch the glass.

Old 2011-10-17, 1:15am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Hand View Post
I got a container of Toilet Duck about 2 years ago, and mixed it half and half with water. I have used that container since then when I get 'the haze' on my beads. Under 30 minutes and the haze is gone, with longer soaks it will start to etch the glass.
Okay, so far on the list we have:

1. Snobol
2. Toilet Duck

Thanks! I'll look and try another one, like the Lysol brand.
Old 2011-10-17, 1:57am

Cillit Bang Grime & Lime works (don't know if you get it over there!)

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-10-17, 9:46am
Certified Thread Killer

Whink
Snobol
Toilet Duck…

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far. I know that in the last couple of years most popular brands have replaced their former "active" ingredient with less harmful, more "environmentally friendly" alternative ingredients.

I'll do some looking when I go to the store (soon).

I have also tried my metals "go-to" solution, Tarn-X, which seems to be taboo in most circles for some reason. Who's afraid of a little sulfuric acid? Apparently NOT bead haze because Tarn-X did squat with that. (Just for future reference)

It's been, like, four days and my dark turquoise beads are still soaking in the Loctite "Naval Jelly". There is still haze where it was the darkest, so I'm still looking for a faster alternative.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:40pm
one day at a time

I had some beads with a lot of copper green in them turn a grayish green. Worse than I had ever seen, and I think I was working with a somewhat reducing flame. Coming out of the kiln they were worse though.

The Snobol soak made them a pretty seafoam green like they are supposed to be. I was a little worried that my trusted solution wasn't going to get that crap off and those beads needed to be mailed to the buyer asap