No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-19, 7:23pm
offically down under

Default Etch-All WARNING

I keep my etch all in the top of my dish cupboard next to the items I seldom use. The etch all is in it's original plastic container and sitting next to it is my glass gravy separator. The etch-all fumed the clear glass.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-19, 7:47pm

wow

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-01-19, 7:53pm

In the older days of carpet cleaning some rust removal products, if not neutralized, would gass off the carpet and etch windows and crystal chandeliers. Powerful stuff!
Old 2011-01-20, 5:08am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

yea, same happened to me. (I use a local brand) and the container, closed, was sitting next to a mirror. There is an area that is etched.
I now store it away from any glass, in a well ventilated area.

Old 2011-01-20, 5:24am
burnin' glass just becuz

yup it off-gasses. i found that out when i left a metal spoon next to the bottle. Now the bottle is stored inside a sealed ziplock bag, sitting in a plastic container

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-01-20, 6:30am
birdergirl ~o~

I've found those plastic containers that the EA comes in are NOT airtight. I do as ewbd stated. Container ~ in plastic bag placed into a plastic container!
But I never imagined it could air etch something! Thanks for the heads up!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-01-20, 10:08am
Glass-aholic

Just put a piece of plastic wrap over the top before you put the lid on. It should seal it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-20, 11:07am
Formerly FishBulb

Holy crap! I thought it was pretty safe in the original container. Now I'm off to seal everything up in more plastic. Thanks for the warning.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-01-20, 11:50am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I transfer my Etch-All to a bullion-cube jar. Those seal really tight and I keep my Etch-All completely away from the kitchen or any area that food stuffs are around (i.e. the garage).

Last edited by *Naos*; 2011-01-20 at 11:55am.
Old 2011-01-20, 12:33pm
And silence is golden

Who woodda thunk! Thank you Tammy for the heads up!
Old 2011-01-20, 12:52pm
Experimentalist

I had no idea. Thanks for the warning!

Old 2011-01-20, 12:59pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

wow, mine just sits in my studio, my lungs are pry etched! Nice.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-01-20, 1:28pm

wow. and I can't even get mine to etch beads that have been dropped in and and left for ages. Have tried the liquid, the creme, never have gotten any of it to work on anything. Guess I'd better go see where it is, with my luck it's etching everything in the studio BUT the beads....
Old 2011-01-20, 4:47pm
honorary bead lady

Both dip 'n etch® and the Etchall® cream contain ammonium bifluoride in the amount of 20% i.e. 20g/100g of dip 'n etch® and say so (albeit in small print) on the containers.

There is a widespread belief among users of these and similar ammonium bifluoride based products that they are harmless and somehow inherently "safer" than the better known, highly toxic hydrofluoric acid. This is a potentially dangerous misconception. Ammonium bifluoride presents virtually identical dangers to hydrofluoric acid and in fact forms varying concentrations of hydrofluoric acid when dissolved in water.

MSDS...
http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/imag...lCreamMSDS.pdf
Old 2011-01-20, 4:57pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I used to buy big containers of scoopable kitty litter - it came in a large, resealable plastic bucket. The used buckets are really handy for storing Etchall bottle, lye for soapmaking (in a separate bucket!!) and other corrosive or nasty stuff.
Yeah, lye in my kitty litter buckets too... Just need to remember to clearly mark on the bucket that it is caustic awful stuff, so it wont accidentally go into kitty litter box. Though it is kept in garage separate from litter...
I guess I need to remove my etching containers from next the mirror...
Old 2011-01-20, 4:58pm
Glass-aholic

David I am so glad you bring this up again. I was just going through old etching posts, and saw you had posted this before Good lookin out!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-23, 1:15pm
one day at a time

Thank you, wow! I had no idea!
Old 2011-01-24, 3:29am
picking Job's Tears

HF can kill you. It isn't something to be taken lightly. Make sure you don't make skin contact and have very good ventilation.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-01-26, 10:08pm

Wowzer! Good to know! Thanks for posting this...

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-01-27, 10:52am

David, is it true that you can neutralize the etching cream with baking soda before disposal?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-01-27, 7:44pm
honorary bead lady

Yes
Old 2011-02-01, 2:51pm

From original post comment...same thing happened ato me with some glasses stacked in cabinet near etch all...which was double sealed in two baggies besides being in it's original bottle tightly sealed. Freaked me out, but gave me a good reality check.

One of our Southern Flames Members, Robert Simmons was telling us that if it spills on your hands accidently, it doesn't burn your skin but permeates through down to your bone and does damage. In case I totally mispresented what Robert said, I'll ask him to post here too if he has time.
Old 2011-02-01, 5:13pm

Kristy is pretty much right. The only saving grace for etching liquids and creams is that they are low concentration. Hydrofluoric acid is a Strong Acid but it does not burn your skin. It will permeate your skin and soft tissue and attack the calcium in your underlying bone, then goes to work on nerve tissue. That's when the pain begins. Treatment for HF skin exposure is injection of calcium alginate under the exposure site to block penetration. You never want to try to make your own etching liquid (some have tried it). Breathing in fumes can leave HF in your lungs. I use HF at work from time to time and I double glove, face shield and work under a very good hood.

When working with etching materials: Always wear nitrile or better gloves, use under good ventilation, DO NOT USE IT IN YOUR KITCHEN (yes, that's in all caps for a reason). Wash your beads or glass thoroughly and then neutralize with baking soda and wash again. This is one of the more hazardous materials that most of us ever encounter and it is not to be trifled with.

Robert
Old 2011-11-05, 11:44pm
professional gimme fiver

I opened a bottle of Etch All that I haven't used in 9 months and saw a bunch of lumps clinging to the insides of the bottle. After closer inspection, I realized the large lump was about 1/2 of a bead and the smaller fragments were the rest of it. I was surprised at how it disintegrated!

Old 2011-11-06, 5:00am

...or the easy way out...I'm not ever going to etch anything again
just sayin'

Duane
PS btw, I know how serious all of your comments are re: HF and thanks for sharing all the info

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-06, 7:23am

This is why I don't etch with anything but a tumbler. The stuff scares me!!!! I have an old bottle sealed in a plastic container. What's the proper way to dispose of it?