Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-02-13, 12:20pm
Your Royal Fritness

Default Bobbin Beads

Last month I had an idea and it actually worked. I used a sewing machine bobbin to line a bead with. I just placed the bobbin onto my chopstick (it slid half way down) without any bead release and it held pretty nice. But you can attach it to a mandrel using bead release. You could even make these spin if you put release on the inside of the bobbin. I did not super heat the bobbin and tried to keep it out of the flame as much as possible. You will need to use stainless steel bobbins and the rest is up to your imagination Here is my test bead, I know I need a nail job.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-13, 12:32pm
Flame Dames Rule!

You did great with the glass, the chopstick was a great idea! I've been using the bobbins with polymer clay - lots of fun to mess around with these.

Happy beading, *sharon*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-02-13, 12:44pm

Oh for heavens sakes, what a wonderful idea!

(NATURALLY ALL MY BOBBINS ARE PLASTIC! LOL)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-02-13, 12:51pm
Macaw Mamma

Well... now how cool is that?????
I Love 'em..........

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2011-02-13, 12:56pm

What a great idea!!! A great gift for people that sew. Anita
Old 2011-02-13, 2:34pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

ohh what a great idea, I am a quilter, I love all things sewing related. Thanks for sharing

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-02-13, 4:22pm
put a bird on it

Very creative!
Old 2011-02-13, 4:52pm
N2Beadz

I came across a seller on Etsy selling these a few weeks ago...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanskipper...me=jeanskipper

I saved it in my favorites on Etsy because I thought it was such a cool idea to play with. I use to come across the metal bobbins in the thrift stores and like places, but haven't come across any since coming across this idea.

Last edited by donia; 2011-02-14 at 10:09am.
Old 2011-02-13, 5:27pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

What an adorable idea!

Old 2011-02-13, 5:45pm

If you could get a hold of some of the antique singer bobbins that have smooth slightly domed sides that would look really cool too.

I went looking for an image but couldn't find a good one.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-02-13, 5:56pm
Your Royal Fritness

Wow I have not seen that on etsy, I love how she has them hanging! I saw them with PMC and then thought about making them with glass I found my bobbins at walmart 10 for $1.97. They are light weight but held up to the heat.

Old 2011-02-14, 1:19am
MacGalver

Wow, cool idea! Thanks for sharing, Dawn!

Jo

Old 2011-02-14, 2:13am
Taaa Daaaa

neat idea
you could also dye the metal with alcoholic inks or patina gel for antique look...

oohh possibilities are endless
Old 2011-02-14, 3:14am
I need more boro stuff

Very neat idea. Thanks Dawn.
I have at least 100 new bobbins laying around at home. No idea what to do with them.

Old 2011-02-14, 4:53am
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Wow I have not seen that on etsy, I love how she has them hanging! I saw them with PMC and then thought about making them with glass I found my bobbins at walmart 10 for $1.97. They are light weight but held up to the heat.
Nice to know that these will work. I was thinking that the antique ones would be a heavier metal content and hold up well. I wasn't sure the newer ones would hold up to the heat. Can't beat 10 for $1.97 either.

Old 2011-02-14, 5:08am
Help i am on fire

so cool and creative.
Old 2011-02-14, 6:29am
Detail G-Mama!

What a great idea! Now I'm wondering if I got rid of all my metal bobbins in the move!

Old 2011-02-14, 8:51am

What a cute idea. And very sweet to share it with others. Thanks!
Old 2011-02-14, 8:57am

I really like this idea and can't wait to try it (sometime in May). I have made beads that look like bobbins and
thought that was what I was going to see here. Nice surprise.

thanks.
Old 2011-02-14, 8:57am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixArteStudio View Post
neat idea
you could also dye the metal with alcoholic inks or patina gel for antique look...

oohh possibilities are endless
I have some alcohol inks that I've never used. Do you put a coat of clear something or other over them to seal them to the metal?
Old 2011-02-14, 9:01am
Peerless Thread Killer

Dawn,
What a great idea! Thanks so much for posting, and your bead looks really cool.

Old 2011-02-14, 9:48am

Thanks Dawn, how fun, something new to try!

Old 2011-02-16, 9:08am
Your Royal Fritness

Default More Bobbin Beads

I tried a few different things with the bobbin's yesterday. I like the look of the whole bobbin filled with glass best, they just have a nice feel to them. I don't know if I'm crazy about the ones that you can spin. They are a ROYAL pain to clean. If you make these use a paint brush to put the bead release only on the barrel of the bobbin. I made the cone shaped accent beads to hold the pendants nice. That way I don't have to look for matching components, lol... call me lazy
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-16, 9:12am
Glass my new Obsession

I have been playing with these to after seeing them done with polymer clay in a magazine.I got mine at walmart as well

Old 2011-03-05, 6:09am
Your Royal Fritness

A few weeks back I saw the challenge for Beads of Courage, Beads in Space contest and thought these would make excellent space ships. Here is the fleet and the bead that actually made it on the April 19th launch of mission STS-134 Shuttle Endeavour for Beads of Courage! I'm doing the Happy Dance

I would love to see everyone's bobbin beads!
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-05, 6:38am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
If you could get a hold of some of the antique singer bobbins that have smooth slightly domed sides that would look really cool too.

I went looking for an image but couldn't find a good one.
I have some of those but I sew with them (yes, my treadle machine works, I like to restore ancient machinery ).

A good source is an antique mall. Look for a vendor that seems to have a lot of old cooking equipment or sewing patterns, these folks often have the old bobbins in a box on a shelf marked 'sewing supplies' or 'vintage sewing' or some such. They can usually be had for 50 cents to $1 each, cheaper if you strike gold.

Old 2011-03-05, 6:40am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Dawn, those are perfect space ships!

Old 2011-03-05, 11:50am
novembersfyre everywhere

I love your space ships Dawn! I really like the way you carried the design through to the outside of the bobbin. It looks more finished that way.

Old 2011-03-05, 10:01pm
plays with fire

Wow, I had the same idea after seeing the wonderful pendants being made out of skeleton keys, but never got around to testing it. So glad to see the bobbins hold up to the heat and the great beads you are making!
Thanks for sharing! Breaking out the bobbins ASAP!
Old 2011-03-08, 4:30pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I love your space ships Dawn! I really like the way you carried the design through to the outside of the bobbin. It looks more finished that way.
Thanks MaryBeth, I 1st made a small tube bead on the mandrel and rolled it really thin on one side. Then I slid the bobbin onto it, I thought I was being quite clever at the time, lol. It really did make it look more finished and it brings it down to a 3/32 hole which is nice for stringing. I need to make some more because I sent them all to Beads of Courage