Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-24, 10:31pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Default Packing Bead Holes?

Having read a few topics regarding standards for bead production and presentation for sale, I've just come across a dilemma.

I have some really pretty beads that would make great earrings. Trouble is, I'd made them on mandrels that were too big.

Is it at all acceptable to pack the holes with seed beads so that the pin and caps stay put?

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2011-03-25, 4:20am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Absolutely! or you could get some of the thin plastic tubing that someone sells, for that purpose too.

Old 2011-03-25, 6:12am
Formerly FishBulb

Yup, I've done that!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-03-25, 6:19am
Mary Lockwood

Yep....pack away.

Everybody does it to stabilize beads. Nothing worse than wobble. Well, actually there are worse things but wobble is still indesirable.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-25, 6:59am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Yep, I do that all the time too.

Old 2011-03-25, 10:28am
Sorry for party rockin'

Me too

Old 2011-03-25, 10:28am
Peerless Thread Killer

Silicone fuel tubing for model airplanes does a great job stabilizing as well.

Old 2011-03-25, 12:54pm
geekitude on two wheels

These are another option, they are essentially headpins & links but made to the same size as regular mandrels so there's no wobble.

http://www.theglassshoppestudio.com/...d=21&Itemid=15
Old 2011-03-25, 3:18pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh, yay! Thanks everyone.
I suppose it's easy to get a bit antsy regarding 'quality' of what one is making for others to sell or give away - as a newbie there were a few things I've learned about what is and isn't acceptable, like messy ends etc, so I'm just double-checking.
I'm so glad I can make stuff up as I see it later, rather than having to 'plan' everything while I melt it. This frees me up for a much more flexible attitude to my torching sessions

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-03-25, 7:57pm
Master Procrastinator

If using seed beads inside your beads bothers you, here's a link to vinyl tubing that's perfect for 3/32" beads.

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...uct_id=2568326

Old 2011-03-25, 8:18pm
Never give up

I wrap more wire in a coil fashion around the wire I am using to hold my bead. Works well and I have plenty of wire hanging around.
Old 2011-03-26, 4:16am
sunscreen me baby

I was just about to post a link to Lea's tubing. Love the stuff. I use it for little stoppers on ear wires as well.

~

Old 2011-03-26, 8:24am
Master Procrastinator

Hey, thanks Suzy! I know a couple of you bought some (thank you very much & it's on it's way), but wanted to let the rest of you know that I'm putting my shops on vacation starting Monday for a week so if any of you need some, now's the time. Monday will be my last day to ship.